Windsor Spitfires 2015-16 Season Thread (part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
One other pet peeve with this series is the early goals or late goals/quick responses by Kitchener after Windsor got one. Two such goals happened in game 3, both of them being the late variety. As well in the last 2 games right when the game started Kitchener hit the scoreboard early. There were other times when Kitchener would quickly respond as well. It's not a huge deal but it just comes off as a team that doesn't look prepared, attention to detail is extremely important at this time.

Legend I would agree Kitchener relied on their top line I think you can get away with that in the 1st round. Spits got away with that in round 1 against Erie back in 2011 with Khokhlachev/Kuhnhackl. Even to a lesser extent Hall/Henrique dominated in round 1 in 09/10. If we want to go way back in 01 with Ott/Spezza killing Owen Sound. Once you get into the 2nd round and beyond advanced scouting is extremely important, there aren't anymore secrets at that point.

If the Spits got Keller personally there really isn't any reason why you need to have McCool around he would just be taking up a 4th or 5th C. He would be behind Brown/Keller/Luchuk/Vilardi. I would just be concerned in letting McCool/DiGiacinto specifically both of them hang on to start the year. I have a hard time believing both of them will turn it around so start the purge early.

In pure numbers they probably need 2-3 top 6 forwards
1 top 4, maybe another D for depth could be 2 top 4 depending on how players adjust.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I see some of the teams are doing a "draft breakfast" on Saturday for their STH's. Have the spits ever done anything like this? Would make for an interesting morning and could be used as a fundraiser for their charity.

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
Is it possible that if Windsor gets the Memorial Cup that both Sanvido and/or Chatfield played their last game as Spitfires? With Stanley, Sergachev, Auger, Nother, and Burns being eligible and if we do indeed get the Memorial Cup then WR would has a better chance at landing a top euro or top prospect that is already drafted/gets drafted then gets told to report here much like Fischer this season. The chances of Lemieux comming back go up, so does the possibility that WR could land a good NCAA route player knowing he would report if we get the Bid in the draft/free agent/prospect. I wouldnt be surprised to see another 7-10 new players on the team going into training camp. I do think that out of all the positions the Goaltending is one that doesnt need top priority as DiPietro and Culina are a good combination going into camp, maybe pick up a goalie via trade that could go to the Vipers who could be called up when/if needed during the year and could also mentor a younger guy in Jr B if WR gets a good Goalie in the draft that could challenge for a spot in 17-18

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Is it possible that if Windsor gets the Memorial Cup that both Sanvido and/or Chatfield played their last game as Spitfires? With Stanley, Sergachev, Auger, Nother, and Burns being eligible and if we do indeed get the Memorial Cup then WR would has a better chance at landing a top euro or top prospect that is already drafted/gets drafted then gets told to report here much like Fischer this season. The chances of Lemieux comming back go up, so does the possibility that WR could land a good NCAA route player knowing he would report if we get the Bid in the draft/free agent/prospect. I wouldnt be surprised to see another 7-10 new players on the team going into training camp. I do think that out of all the positions the Goaltending is one that doesnt need top priority as DiPietro and Culina are a good combination going into camp, maybe pick up a goalie via trade that could go to the Vipers who could be called up when/if needed during the year and could also mentor a younger guy in Jr B if WR gets a good Goalie in the draft that could challenge for a spot in 17-18

I think Chatfield stays,little chance on Sanvido, no chance Lemieux.
You are probably right 7-8 new players when said and done,5-6 forwards,1-2 D.
The drafts,free agents,trades, and organizational adds will make for an interesting summer especially if Mem Cup is awarded.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I see some of the teams are doing a "draft breakfast" on Saturday for their STH's. Have the spits ever done anything like this? Would make for an interesting morning and could be used as a fundraiser for their charity.

Don't think Windsor ever has hosted a draft party,last year would have been ideal,this year not so much,no 1st or 3rd round pick,not as much buzz this year that's for sure.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

Pretty difficult to generate any interest when you don't have a first round pick. However it could be a useful PR move in the future IMHO. As it is it's not inconceivable that the Spits deal their pick in the 2nd round.....

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Pretty difficult to generate any interest when you don't have a first round pick. However it could be a useful PR move in the future IMHO. As it is it's not inconceivable that the Spits deal their pick in the 2nd round.....
I agree - next year makes sense. Also I will not be shocked to see the second round picked moved - It is more valuable as a pick you trade this coming January than a player that will not likely help us this year - Unless they have a 17 year old US player that is lined up to come. We will see this week once the pick trades open up.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The Attack have done this for years, maybe the first to do so.

They provide WiFi, computer, big screen, media guides, breakfast and lunch, all free, most years introduce the first rd picks in person, get b/w 40 and60 out to it. Degray comes in after Rd 3, 6, 9 to answer questions..

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
didnt WR and BB buy a team in that kind of shape?

Yes they might have, but in your opinion or others is the value price now the same,or higher or lower.?? I say lower.

If you want to sell a franchise you usually want to make a profit.

Just hosting the big dance is great for the current owner not the new one.How the team is left after the hosting will determine alot.

My guess like others on this board is the big rush for the hosting could mean a sale of some sort in the near future.Just my opinion.

:popcorn:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor hasn't done much for their sth for a long time now. Just like their money. And now depending on where u sit in the arena for next season prices are different. Another kick in the face to sth.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
The Attack have done this for years, maybe the first to do so.

They provide WiFi, computer, big screen, media guides, breakfast and lunch, all free, most years introduce the first rd picks in person, get b/w 40 and60 out to it. Degray comes in after Rd 3, 6, 9 to answer questions..

Great idea.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
The ownership did a great job with the carnivals for the kids, my son always had a great time meeting the players for autographs and pics.

They also had an answer session I attended to meet the new drafts, the one thing some sth didnt like was that the Q were kind of picked and choosed as you had to write it down and someone decided.

STH's should have been able to stand up and voice their displeasure or give kudos.The org should have faced the music and call it as it is.The answer always was , we cant talk about it.Instead of saying, it was a grey area we didnt understand properly and the league used us as the scapegoat.Make the league look bad not the org .the way it was handled, STH knew they were being BSed and it lead to rumours and innuendo.The owners should have called a spade, a spade.It was handled terrible.

And then with BB chasing greener pastures and WR also rumoured the same, and the team hitting rock bottom STH and casual goers decided its time to use their money differently.The team isnt serious anymore and the league is now all a political machine with agenda's other than hockey in mind.And now we are here in the present with low STH# and low attendance overall.Sometimes it takes tough love on the fan's part to wake up a franchise be it pro or amateur.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Now that I've got a chance to sit down...

- I think Digi needs a shot as as OA. Not in an offensive role, but in a grinders/agitation role. Someone who can go out on the third or even fourth line, help the kids, muck it up, and draw penalties. He's not likely to score 30 at this point, but 15-20 goals and actively engaging isn't a bad thing. If the expectations are lowered to what he brings, there's no reason he can't come back as an OA.

- It wouldn't shock me to see Sanvido back as an OA, but it also wouldn't shock me if he went the University route. I'd feel bad (sorry for bringing emotion into it) if he spent all this time as a leader on the team and, during our Memorial Cup season, he gets released. That's pretty cold. He's reliable when he's not relied upon.

- I can see McCool being dealt. I like his attitude, I like his willingness to engage, but he brings nothing offensively and if we have Digi or another F who plays the same role, what's the point?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
"I like his reliability when he's not relied on"? Odd statement.
I'm guessing your saying he's mid cast in anything other than a 5/6 role?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Now that I've got a chance to sit down...

- I think Digi needs a shot as as OA. Not in an offensive role, but in a grinders/agitation role. Someone who can go out on the third or even fourth line, help the kids, muck it up, and draw penalties. He's not likely to score 30 at this point, but 15-20 goals and actively engaging isn't a bad thing. If the expectations are lowered to what he brings, there's no reason he can't come back as an OA.

- It wouldn't shock me to see Sanvido back as an OA, but it also wouldn't shock me if he went the University route. I'd feel bad (sorry for bringing emotion into it) if he spent all this time as a leader on the team and, during our Memorial Cup season, he gets released. That's pretty cold. He's reliable when he's not relied upon.

- I can see McCool being dealt. I like his attitude, I like his willingness to engage, but he brings nothing offensively and if we have Digi or another F who plays the same role, what's the point?

Not wanting to sound like a total tool, but Windsor in this from a business point of view not for emotions. If they feel Sanvido needs to be cut to make the team better they should do it right from the start. Its like taking a band aid off. Just pull it off and both sides should understand.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
"I like his reliability when he's not relied on"? Odd statement.
I'm guessing your saying he's mid cast in anything other than a 5/6 role?

Put Sanvido in a 3-4 hole, he's fine. He's not overly offensive, he's decent defensively, and he can provide some grit. Put him in a 1-2 hole where he's relied upon heavily, it's not as good.

I don't see why Sanvido can't be a 3-4, or even 5-6 if needed, D-man for any Cup season. I know emotions aren't a part of this, but I feel the guy deserves a shot.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Put Sanvido in a 3-4 hole, he's fine. He's not overly offensive, he's decent defensively, and he can provide some grit. Put him in a 1-2 hole where he's relied upon heavily, it's not as good.

I don't see why Sanvido can't be a 3-4, or even 5-6 if needed, D-man for any Cup season. I know emotions aren't a part of this, but I feel the guy deserves a shot.

He has has 4 years to cut his way. Time to release.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Don't agree about Sanvido being a 3-4 guy on a Mem Cup bound team,and would not have an O/A dman in a 5-6 spot re a Mem Cup team run.
Unlike Windsor7 and saying release him look to deal him.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Don't agree about Sanvido being a 3-4 guy on a Mem Cup bound team,and would not have an O/A dman in a 5-6 spot re a Mem Cup team run.

I meant trade him this summer or early in the season. But he should not be on the roster come November.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
OHLTG

Disagree about Digiacinto, unless he plays like he did the 1st 30 games where he had 13 goals and 30 points, not interested in bringing him,would rather go with a more productive guy as an O/A,don't want him as 4th liner that's for sure. If I had my choice I would keep McCool instead of Digiacinto, despite his maddening inconsistency, he is younger, bigger, faster,just as tough if not slightly more, and more versatile as he can play wing as well as center.
Strikes me more of a Lane McDermid guy,big tough but can play ,he needs to assert himself at all times, has deceptive ability needs to use it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
He has has 4 years to cut his way. Time to release.

Very well put. I would be surprised if Dallas signed Sanvido and at this point like you said 4 years in Windsor to improve, show his worth and earn a contract. It's not Windsor's responsibility at this point anymore. A lot of this is under the idea Windsor is hosting the Memorial Cup. The standard for a Memorial Cup team is a lot different for the team that we saw this year and if bringing back status quo included Sanvido/DiGiacinto you're only spinning your wheels.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Very well put. I would be surprised if Dallas signed Sanvido and at this point like you said 4 years in Windsor to improve, show his worth and earn a contract. It's not Windsor's responsibility at this point anymore. A lot of this is under the idea Windsor is hosting the Memorial Cup. The standard for a Memorial Cup team is a lot different for the team that we saw this year and if bringing back status quo included Sanvido/DiGiacinto you're only spinning your wheels.
It will be the tale of two cities - M-cup/no m-cup. With the assumption we have the m-cup I agree with most of this. Sanvido has been a #7 defensemen at best. His worth has been his size and ability to block shots on the PK. His immediate reaction when he has the puck is to bang it off the boards and down the ice. This is only a good play on the PK not 5 on 5. I would guess he has the most icings on the team. I would try to move him if possible but you don't want him taking an OA spot come January or try to trade him then because he will be of little value. Digi as Sanvido is not going to fit into an m-cup team. 2 years ago he looked good on an unskilled team. Now that we are developing skill he shows why he went undrafted. He like Sanvido needs to go early in a trade if possible but can't be an OA on an m-cup team. McCool is a different story. He is not an OA this year and brings enough spunk that we would be a solid 3rd/4th line center on an m-cup team. He can kill penalties and if he went to the net more could be a real pest. Also could be a valuable trade asset in January. Teams covet an 19 year old over an OA in a trade as they get them for a possible 2 years. I will add more team breakdown once our off season thread gets going.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It will be the tale of two cities - M-cup/no m-cup. With the assumption we have the m-cup I agree with most of this. Sanvido has been a #7 defensemen at best. His worth has been his size and ability to block shots on the PK. His immediate reaction when he has the puck is to bang it off the boards and down the ice. This is only a good play on the PK not 5 on 5. I would guess he has the most icings on the team. I would try to move him if possible but you don't want him taking an OA spot come January or try to trade him then because he will be of little value. Digi as Sanvido is not going to fit into an m-cup team. 2 years ago he looked good on an unskilled team. Now that we are developing skill he shows why he went undrafted. He like Sanvido needs to go early in a trade if possible but can't be an OA on an m-cup team. McCool is a different story. He is not an OA this year and brings enough spunk that we would be a solid 3rd/4th line center on an m-cup team. He can kill penalties and if he went to the net more could be a real pest. Also could be a valuable trade asset in January. Teams covet an 19 year old over an OA in a trade as they get them for a possible 2 years. I will add more team breakdown once our off season thread gets going.
Can the Rangers have Sanvido? I like his size back there if the Spits are not asking too much.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015

And if you replace Sanvido with another overage D where do you see them fitting in? With Serg, Stanley and hopefully Chatfield back where do you see an o/a d fitting in. I see a 4-5 guy because none of those players are going to be happy playing a reduced role after this year. That's the problem the Spits have is the team core is still young and received alot of playing time. If you bring in o/a's what players here will be happy taking a lesser role? DiGi seems to have embraced the 3rd line role, Sandivo i think would be content in a 4-5 role. Don't Get all the hate on DiGi, no longer player in top 6 or p/p time so expect scoring to drop off. I thought he was dependable defensively which is what you need in the 3rd line with ability to chip in offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad