Windsor Spitfires 2015-16 Season Thread (part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cilliandrew

Dec 3, 2013
With Lemieux being out the last 2 games, does he mean that much to this team that makes Brown and Fisher almost non existant on the ice? They pretty much been a no show since the suspension

I was at the game tonite and have to say I felt Logan Brown was probably our best forward on the ice. He played hard. Eller as well. We just did not get any bounces tonite. Brown put 1 off the post, and the Rangers got a very weird goal on the first one (probably should have been whistled down.)

Dipietro played well, but i also felt like Culina played well (at least in Game 1, while i was watching on Sportsnet.) Goaltending was not our issue from what i saw in either of the games. We are just WAY too sloppy in our own end. Our defense is weak.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
With the draft a little more than a week away I have some questions - When can they start trading draft picks? Do you think Warren will trade off the Storm pick in the second round or other picks? The reason why I ask the second question is based on players we will need for the M-cup ( if we get it). A player picked in this years draft would not likely help being only 16 and you can't trade them later as they are picked in the lower rounds. I would think he would trade that pick for a 2nd in 2017 and maybe a third. He could then trade those picks in January for a productive 19 year old. Thoughts?

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
nelli27 Only 5900 in Kitchener, but Windsor population is well 300 hundred thousand .Why 2,700 more in Kitchener then.Plain and simple , that was a disgraceful support last night.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I was at the game tonite and have to say I felt Logan Brown was probably our best forward on the ice. He played hard. Eller as well. We just did not get any bounces tonite. Brown put 1 off the post, and the Rangers got a very weird goal on the first one (probably should have been whistled down.)

Dipietro played well, but i also felt like Culina played well (at least in Game 1, while i was watching on Sportsnet.) Goaltending was not our issue from what i saw in either of the games. We are just WAY too sloppy in our own end. Our defense is weak.

I agree that Brown and Eller were the top two forwards. I felt Eller's hustle was really pushing the Rangers' D. A few others need that jump.

I have to disagree about the goal being whistled though. It was clearly loose when it got pushed from the front and it was sitting open behind DiPietro and the ref in the corner had a perfect view. It would have been robbery if that was whistled. Fluky, yes, whistled no.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
nelli27 Only 5900 in Kitchener, but Windsor population is well 300 hundred thousand .Why 2,700 more in Kitchener then.Plain and simple , that was a disgraceful support last night.

Are you talking Windsor/Essex County? The population has been dwindling for the last decade. Kitchener/Waterloo has much larger population than Windsor.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Are you talking Windsor/Essex County? The population has been dwindling for the last decade. Kitchener/Waterloo has much larger population than Windsor.

Very true. Kitchener is in the heart of a Region that has 550,000 people.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Very true. Kitchener is in the heart of a Region that has 550,000 people.

I totally understand the drop in attendance in all cities for the first round of the playoffs.
Not only the financial costs but after a long season and the coming of spring and daylight savings time some of us has "catching up to do" with house and family stuff. I know I struggle with going to the first round games since I look at them as "pre-season games" for the real playoffs of the 2nd round + + +.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

With the draft a little more than a week away I have some questions - When can they start trading draft picks? Do you think Warren will trade off the Storm pick in the second round or other picks? The reason why I ask the second question is based on players we will need for the M-cup ( if we get it). A player picked in this years draft would not likely help being only 16 and you can't trade them later as they are picked in the lower rounds. I would think he would trade that pick for a 2nd in 2017 and maybe a third. He could then trade those picks in January for a productive 19 year old. Thoughts?

Interesting questions and thoughts re upcoming draft. I know I mentioned Windsor has Guelph's 2nd pick which is 22nd overall not 23rd as I had write,a couple of thoughts ,1 you pick an older player 17-19 year old believed ready to step in as Rayzor has suggested,or as you suggested trade it for a 2nd and a 3rd to be used in a possible deal to strengthen lineup. Because Windsor does not have a 1st or a 3rd,I would rather hold on to it,in this particular draft Windsor may get a guy they want at 22, because there is a wide variance of view with picks 15-40+, trade the guy later meaning year after if you have to,I say make the selection, with the shortage of picks being my main reason.With our 4th pick-Niagara's I would try to get a re-entry player ala Cole Carter ,similar to what Rayzor proposed.
Trades on picks only can happen till near mid week I believe of next week, will be interesting to see what Windsor does.
No draft buzz like last year that's for sure.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Interesting questions and thoughts re upcoming draft. I know I mentioned Windsor has Guelph's 2nd pick which is 22nd overall not 23rd as I had write,a couple of thoughts ,1 you pick an older player 17-19 year old believed ready to step in as Rayzor has suggested,or as you suggested trade it for a 2nd and a 3rd to be used in a possible deal to strengthen lineup. Because Windsor does not have a 1st or a 3rd,I would rather hold on to it,in this particular draft Windsor may get a guy they want at 22, because there is a wide variance of view with picks 15-40+, trade the guy later meaning year after if you have to,I say make the selection, with the shortage of picks being my main reason.With our 4th pick-Niagara's I would try to get a re-entry player ala Cole Carter ,similar to what Rayzor proposed.
Trades on picks only can happen till near mid week I believe of next week, will be interesting to see what Windsor does.
With the draft buzz most suggest this years draft is not deep. Without a 1st round pick your not getting anyone that will help you next year. We will need to ensure we get best value for the second round pick. Either have someone in the US (AK London) lined up or trade it for a chip later. This year all moves need to be based on help this year. Cannot look to the future and someone that will help us down the road. This is a go for it year.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

Although the Spits are up against the wall I'm still expecting a good showing Wednesday night. We have yet to get blown out and realistically could have won any of those games.I know I picked Kitchener in 5 but that doesn't mean I hope it happens, just what I expect....
As for the upcoming draft..... It really hurts to not have a 1st round pick BUT picking #1 in the 2nd should give us a shot at a good player. I'm expecting WR to go for a player who has stated his intention to go to a U.S. Program...a la Moore. I think that's our best bet to get a starter. I can't see us dealing that pick for additional picks. We need a player for next year.
The only other options are at a later date via the trade route/ or via the defected route a la Brown.
Can we hope for Keller or another US player? It would ease the pain.
As for our 4th I'd hope if we go for a re-entry player he turns out better than Carter. Carter did start out well but has faded as has his playing time. He is quick not fast like Eller but hasn't the stamina to handle playing against bigger top line players IMHO.
We do have a large group of potential returnees. Some will not nessessarily end up back with the Spits...but that's a conversation for a later date..

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Punch

Solid post above overall,though I disagree about Carter,his 34 points were the most of any player drafted in the 4th round, though the Robertson kid had 18 goals but 32 points so was more impressive then Carter overall.
Carter got reduced ice time when Chatham and Eller arrived, and when Latour and Lemieux missed the last 3 games Carter had 5 points.Has played well in the playoffs, needs to get stronger, look for better things next year from him.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
jeez, with all this draft talk after the game 3 loss we might as well just kick start the off season thread.
The draft is next Saturday whether we win or lose. Even if we win the next 4 straight we can still discuss the draft. I'm still going to the game tomorrow night hoping for a win.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I still believe winning the Memorial Cup big wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for the organization. They're still not big on assets to wheel and deal, the lack a 2016 1st rounder. If you look at the prior 4 OHL hosts

2014-London, they were coming off winning an OHL title with a lot of players returning. They were granted the winning bid while participating in their 2nd straight OHL Final.

2011-Mississauga pretty much bought but that's the game. Mississauga was coming off a conference finals appearance in 2010, in 09 they made the 2nd round of the OHL playoffs. They certainly had a very solid roster returning.

2008-Kitchener in 07 had a 98 point season, went to the 2nd round and ended up losing to OHL Champion Plymouth. They also had the assets in 07 to pull a big trade for Downie they didn't win the league but still had the assets. Along with a very good roster returning including Azevedo, Halischuk, Spaling, Weber, Duco, Kadri. They went out and traded for Shutron, Mason, Tregunna.

2005-London nothing need to be said had a star studded crew returning from 04 where they lost in game 7 of the Western Finals.

Right now Windsor doesn't really compare favorably to those prior 4 hosts. This isn't to say Windsor couldn't be a good host but it would take selling the farm large to get up to par. That's the expense of a healthy organization in the future though. Of course if Windsor truly is the only one bidding then the league has no choice. It would be nice if other teams made it public if they were bidding then we could compare teams. Windsor hosting and prospective roster doesn't really fit the bill right now and that's all you can judge by.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I still believe winning the Memorial Cup big wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for the organization. They're still not big on assets to wheel and deal, the lack a 2016 1st rounder. If you look at the prior 4 OHL hosts

2014-London, they were coming off winning an OHL title with a lot of players returning. They were granted the winning bid while participating in their 2nd straight OHL Final.

2011-Mississauga pretty much bought but that's the game. Mississauga was coming off a conference finals appearance in 2010, in 09 they made the 2nd round of the OHL playoffs. They certainly had a very solid roster returning.

2008-Kitchener in 07 had a 98 point season, went to the 2nd round and ended up losing to OHL Champion Plymouth. They also had the assets in 07 to pull a big trade for Downie they didn't win the league but still had the assets. Along with a very good roster returning including Azevedo, Halischuk, Spaling, Weber, Duco, Kadri. They went out and traded for Shutron, Mason, Tregunna.

2005-London nothing need to be said had a star studded crew returning from 04 where they lost in game 7 of the Western Finals.

Right now Windsor doesn't really compare favorably to those prior 4 hosts. This isn't to say Windsor couldn't be a good host but it would take selling the farm large to get up to par. That's the expense of a healthy organization in the future though. Of course if Windsor truly is the only one bidding then the league has no choice. It would be nice if other teams made it public if they were bidding then we could compare teams. Windsor hosting and prospective roster doesn't really fit the bill right now and that's all you can judge by.
This is my concern as well. Only see 5 or 6 players on our roster that are M-cup team material. Leave that discussion until we are eliminated but it makes the upcoming draft or pick trade critical.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
I agree the team isn't in the right place to be hosting the memorial cup. Too many holes to fill, experience to gain and not enough assets to get it done in 14 months. Had this core group shown that they have what it takes to get over the hump and advance their play to the next level. I might feel differently but they came up short down the stretch, in the divisional race. And haven't shown they can get it done in the playoffs vs the Rangers. When teams have turned up the play, the Spits don't have the ability to match it. They have come along way from where they were a year ago, but they are along way from any form of a championship caliber team. They need to learn how to win and at best that's two years away. To fast track things, with short cuts to host will only see the team fall flat and embarrass itself on the national stage as well as set the organization back 8 years.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Some good thoughts on Cup bid and what to do in the draft.
They are related for sure.
Win the bid, you have to consider moving the first pick you have prior to draft ( unless a Broadhurst type player avail) If no bid, keep it and grab a quality rookie.

Either way teams like Windsor ( Kit/London) can turn things around quick IF the right moves are made.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Talking about the draft saw Warren last night with a prospect, pretty sure he was an American based on what his jacket said,not saying where or what .

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
I agree the team isn't in the right place to be hosting the memorial cup. Too many holes to fill, experience to gain and not enough assets to get it done in 14 months. Had this core group shown that they have what it takes to get over the hump and advance their play to the next level. I might feel differently but they came up short down the stretch, in the divisional race. And haven't shown they can get it done in the playoffs vs the Rangers. When teams have turned up the play, the Spits don't have the ability to match it. They have come along way from where they were a year ago, but they are along way from any form of a championship caliber team. They need to learn how to win and at best that's two years away. To fast track things, with short cuts to host will only see the team fall flat and embarrass itself on the national stage as well as set the organization back 8 years.

Great post.........

I also dont understand how you make a run or host with no 1st rd pick this draft, no 2nd next draft and if you need to deal at the deadline what assets do you have??

And if you do deal you can set things back like Youngblood10 said maybe 6-8 yrs.look what have been through already.

if this team was taking Kitts to game 7 maybe we have something, but to compete in the mem cup to me you need to project a championship caliber team or they should have waited until the next time the OHL is host.That would have been more realistic.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Good post. Say what you want but I am not necessarily sure they recovered from not finishing in 1st place. The last 3 games of the year meant nothing but stat padding and extra ice for certain guys. Immediately players and some fans will harken back to 2010 against Kitchener. There's a huge difference though and Windsor was clearly out playing Kitchener for long stretches to the point where the Spits were pumping 50 to 60 shots per game on Maxwell. At this point even at the Spits best they have been even with Kitchener not with a clear edge unless you count the first 10 minutes of the series. Even last night there seemed to be very little jump or whatever you want to call it for a team that was down 2-0 and headed back home. If we are to look at how certain players performed the final 30 games and the playoffs thus far let's just say some guys haven't made their presence felt.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Maybe getting the Memorial Cup is what this team/city needs. Windsor, as a whole city, has shown they want winning. Period. Don't give them a rebuild because they've had a taste of winning and it's the only option. What do you do in this situation? Get the Cup, go for broke, and see what happens. The city, and the team, need good, positive media, and getting the Cup would be a big step. I'm confident WR can put the pieces together for a championship contender.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Maybe getting the Memorial Cup is what this team/city needs. Windsor, as a whole city, has shown they want winning. Period. Don't give them a rebuild because they've had a taste of winning and it's the only option. What do you do in this situation? Get the Cup, go for broke, and see what happens. The city, and the team, need good, positive media, and getting the Cup would be a big step. I'm confident WR can put the pieces together for a championship contender.

I think the owners need it more than the fans or city. They've been starved of any real PO revenue for years.
Fans would show if they put together a couple good playoff performances. It's be 5 years with a single W or 4 years?
I love optimism but the confidence you show they can put together a legit winner by next year? They been bad in years as often as good if not more.

Don't get me wrong I think this was the best job they've done off season/ in season in 5 yrs. It'll be a tough go thou and if they fall flat, it may hurt more than help the cause.

I agree with the other posters who wanted to wait until next go around to host. Build the base back up n take your shot. They'd have a good chance at selection next time as well based on franchise history, venue, city ect...

I just think its the owners grasping at straws in hopes it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad