Windsor Spitfires 2015-16 Season Thread (part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
The thing i don't like about the memorial cup bid is it all depends on IF they get Keller to show, and IF they get a top Euro who adjusts as well as Misha and IF Fischer, Chatfield return. I feel that if ALL these things don't happen this team will not make the step to contenders. There's just not enough scoring and without assets is it worth trading the young players for big scoring o/a's. Then what one and done and back to mediocrity

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The thing i don't like about the memorial cup bid is it all depends on IF they get Keller to show, and IF they get a top Euro who adjusts as well as Misha and IF Fischer, Chatfield return. I feel that if ALL these things don't happen this team will not make the step to contenders. There's just not enough scoring and without assets is it worth trading the young players for big scoring o/a's. Then what one and done and back to mediocrity
Players like Keller will come if we get the m-cup but if we don't who knows. The one and done thing I don't agree with as our core is so young. 4 top players at 17 and 2 top players at 16. We should be a contender for the next 2 years regardless if we get the m-cup or not. 3 years from now you will have 2 high end players that can be traded for assets to help with a rebuild - Valardi and DiPietro.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Players like Keller will come if we get the m-cup but if we don't who knows. The one and done thing I don't agree with as our core is so young. 4 top players at 17 and 2 top players at 16. We should be a contender for the next 2 years regardless if we get the m-cup or not. 3 years from now you will have 2 high end players that can be traded for assets to help with a rebuild - Valardi and DiPietro.

how are we expected to acquire all these overagers that everyone thinks we need without trading some young roster players? I agree that right now i think we will be contenders for next 2 yrs, but i also think are best chance is in 2 yrs when our core is 19-18.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I don't see it as a lock Keller would show up. Werenski never showed up for the Knights Memorial Cup year, yes he was with the NTDP but if he really wanted out he could have done it. Keller is a top forward and committed to BU along with his NTDP linemate who's going to BU in Kiefer Bellows. Putting it in the hands of whatever NHL team drafts him is risky. Keller is a guy that's capable of winning the Hobey Baker just like Eichel in 2015 and Connor most likely in 2016. They never played CHL hockey. Throw a team out there like Minnesota say they take Keller they're not an organization that is necessarily pro CHL or pro NCAA they just let their players develop on their own curve. If Keller comes to Windsor it probably has more to do with a 68 game schedule than an extra 4 games in the Memorial Cup.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
You cannot have a one line team that will be successful in the long run.Spits need to improve their scoring consistency. Go out and get a player like Speers, who has a big upside. Clean house of the players who have had their time. Develop a new leadership within the players.

Rocky developed a team that was solid for 80 percent of the season. Maybe age is the reason they ran out of steam? His always positive approach maybe ran its course with the vets, as their play faded as the season moved along.

Anyway, Rychel has his work cut out if he is going to build a Memorial Cup Team!

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
I don't see it as a lock Keller would show up. Werenski never showed up for the Knights Memorial Cup year, yes he was with the NTDP but if he really wanted out he could have done it. Keller is a top forward and committed to BU along with his NTDP linemate who's going to BU in Kiefer Bellows. Putting it in the hands of whatever NHL team drafts him is risky. Keller is a guy that's capable of winning the Hobey Baker just like Eichel in 2015 and Connor most likely in 2016. They never played CHL hockey. Throw a team out there like Minnesota say they take Keller they're not an organization that is necessarily pro CHL or pro NCAA they just let their players develop on their own curve. If Keller comes to Windsor it probably has more to do with a 68 game schedule than an extra 4 games in the Memorial Cup.

Personally I'm not betting on him showing up. if he was a top 5 nhl pick maybe because then he might make the jump to nhl at 19. As a 10-20 pick realistically he's looking at 2 yrs in the O or 1 then AHL? I think he'd rather stay at BU, get his edu.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
You cannot have a one line team that will be successful in the long run.Spits need to improve their scoring consistency. Go out and get a player like Speers, who has a big upside. Clean house of the players who have had their time. Develop a new leadership within the players.

Rocky developed a team that was solid for 80 percent of the season. Maybe age is the reason they ran out of steam? His always positive approach maybe ran its course with the vets, as their play faded as the season moved along.

Anyway, Rychel has his work cut out if he is going to build a Memorial Cup Team!

Except they don't have time to build a memorial cup team, they essentially have to assemble one. What will be the cost of that and are we willing to pay they price.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
No player is a lock to come. Fischer was a surprise this year. No M-cup and no chance Keller comes unless his draft team insists on it ( most don't). With the m-cup I say the chances are high that he comes. If signed by his draft team before he comes he is only committing for one year to the OHL. He could go to the NHL or AHL the next year. The M-cup would also mean a good chance Warren will make enough moves to make them a strong playoff team as well. I would think Warren already has a good idea where Keller and his agent stand on this. Can't see them risking an m-cup bid without knowing there are a couple of quality "free" players who are willing to come. Could not trade enough to get there.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Except they don't have time to build a memorial cup team, they essentially have to assemble one. What will be the cost of that and are we willing to pay they price.

I think Windsor has some great pieces going into next season. I just wonder with two OHL teams going into the tourney how many squads will try to go for it. Thus high prices. It was nuts this year and seems to be getting worse. Smart to grab players early before the deadline. Windsor has a great young goalie to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad