Windsor Spitfires 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
I agree.and while I dont know for sure,I think he refused to shake hands with
the team that got him suspended 11 games ago,as he was trashed talked with the same language he expressed and nobody else got punished because the home town
linseman reported him only
And you know what,if thats the case I agree with him,it was wrong of the league
to single him out when what he said is done many times a game rightly or wrongly
I point this out because at the end of the Erie game he embraced Nick Baptiste
a former team mate at the -17 tourney here in Windsor
Till i get the real story I refuse to pass judgement.

Whether or not any Hounds used the same language, I can't say. But I did not know that any player or players could tell an official, be it a hometown product or otherwise, what to call or report. And I doubt that a "homer" would risk a reprimand and penalty of some sort and report such a serious, suspendable infraction that could be proven to be either false or targeted by ignoring others who said the same.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Whether or not any Hounds used the same language, I can't say. But I did not know that any player or players could tell an official, be it a hometown product or otherwise, what to call or report. And I doubt that a "homer" would risk a reprimand and penalty of some sort and report such a serious, suspendable infraction that could be proven to be either false or targeted by ignoring others who said the same.

It happens all the time,easy to blame crowd noise to get around suspicion
Had been a racial slur I get it,but what said in the heat of the moment is said
many times a game,the linseman chose to call it,just as the Spits were to go on a 5 minute power play,game tied at 1,and they lose their best player,very suspicious

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
They will be fine by 16-17, and will find a way to contend, rebuilds take 2-3 years in most cases now, not 4
They have only struggled in the month or so, not 2, they were 13-10-0-2 in the previous before the bad slide

They finished up winning 3 of their last 21 or 22 games. I don't buy they will be fine in 16-17. I am positive if the Spitfires want to contend they currently don't have a goaltender on their roster that will help that dream.

Of course then you're in the discussion is if the D isn't that bad because the goaltending isn't good or maybe it's both and the D needs a big overhaul as well. They were 12th in goal scoring not nearly good enough when your 19th in goals against. Regardless of the offseason they can't count on contributions from those guys because they may not come out as planned. eg. Kirwan not scoring many goals, Burns not making strides, Fotinos not being a good goalie, Povorozniouk not improving.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You'd rather pick somewhere else in the draft?

As far as Murphy goes - frustration is understandable, but if the rest of the team is shaking hands, you follow suit.

No my point is that it really doesn't matter where you pick at the end of the day, if you don't have a good supporting cast around you that pick can only go so far. Erie got lucky with an exceptional talent in McDavid being eligible, Strome went #2 but Strome has a great player surrounding him. It takes more than one big time OHL pick to help make a team great. You need to hit on more than their 1st round pick if they want to be a good team. Petes got Spencer at #3 and guess what they're still an 8th seed this year.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While it doesn't 100% matter where you pick, having a #2 pick sure beats having a #15 (for example). Plus, with our high 2nd from Sudbury, we have a chance to really nail this draft. Add in the Import, and there's 3+ exceptional talents. Add them to McCool, Brown, etc, and it's a much better roster.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
They finished up winning 3 of their last 21 or 22 games. I don't buy they will be fine in 16-17. I am positive if the Spitfires want to contend they currently don't have a goaltender on their roster that will help that dream.

Of course then you're in the discussion is if the D isn't that bad because the goaltending isn't good or maybe it's both and the D needs a big overhaul as well. They were 12th in goal scoring not nearly good enough when your 19th in goals against. Regardless of the offseason they can't count on contributions from those guys because they may not come out as planned. eg. Kirwan not scoring many goals, Burns not making strides, Fotinos not being a good goalie, Povorozniouk not improving.

I didnt think you would be fine with my 16-17 prediction,though u have to admit
they did not have a goalie in their system to help them win the 2nd mem cup till
they picked up Gruebauer
Here we are talking 2 yrs out,they will make sure they have one by then,they
did once before they will do it again
I have few concerns with the scoring going forward, they were the highest scoring
non playoff team by far,were only outscored by Sarnia by 9 goals,take out the
6 games between the 2 teams,they outscored the Sting by 9 in the other 62,also
outscored the Rangers,were 9th in the league on the pp
There will be changes in all areas not all players who can come back will
and yes I expect inprovement from all those who return.

hounds fan

Sep 10, 2006
SSM
It happens all the time,easy to blame crowd noise to get around suspicion
Had been a racial slur I get it,but what said in the heat of the moment is said
many times a game,the linseman chose to call it,just as the Spits were to go on a 5 minute power play,game tied at 1,and they lose their best player,very suspicious

I sit across from the player benches and you could see Murphy and DeAngelo talking back and forth. Murphy was on the ice and DeAngelo was on the bench. Then Keefe just starts to lose it on the linesman standing right in front of the bench. The refs meet and the next thing you knew Murphy was tossed.

doogie24

Jan 27, 2009
Ontario
assuming Levin is heading North, and granted I haven't seen Vilardi

I want Tippett. Badly.

only saw him play twice this season. but he's damn exciting.

Tippett. please.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I didnt think you would be fine with my 16-17 prediction,though u have to admit
they did not have a goalie in their system to help them win the 2nd mem cup till
they picked up Gruebauer
Here we are talking 2 yrs out,they will make sure they have one by then,they
did once before they will do it again
I have few concerns with the scoring going forward, they were the highest scoring
non playoff team by far,were only outscored by Sarnia by 9 goals,take out the
6 games between the 2 teams,they outscored the Sting by 9 in the other 62,also
outscored the Rangers,were 9th in the league on the pp
There will be changes in all areas not all players who can come back will
and yes I expect inprovement from all those who return.

It's not so much I disagree with your prediction. It's merely an arbitrary date that the organization is setting because they hope the young talent will mature at that point.

Spits are returning 144 total goals but only 120 from their forwards and quite possibly around 107 if Soberg doesn't return which isn't that great. We don't know if it's a good thing the whole D could be returning. Furthermore this whole thing about improvement from everybody why is Kirwan going to improve a lot more and not pull a Povorozniouk or Foss? Why do you believe this coaching staff who couldn't right the ship for the final month can get a team to buy in from 68 games? High import pick doesn't mean much to me when that draft is all about contacts and who you know and not exactly where you pick. Spits haven't hit on an import pick in 5 years and it has nothing to do with where they have picked. Barrie got Rasmus Andersson 37th overall, Oshawa got Lindberg 46th and both of them were selected after Soberg. Just shows position means nothing.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Furthermore this whole thing about improvement from everybody why is Kirwan going to improve a lot more and not pull a Povorozniouk or Foss?

Logan Brown could plummet and score five next year. McCool could suddenly want to quit hockey. Is it likely to happen? No. I don't know why thinking so negatively is going to be beneficial. BTW, if Kirwan pulls a Povorozniouk, that puts him at 40 points next year with 15+ goals. You wouldn't want that?

High import pick doesn't mean much to me when that draft is all about contacts and who you know and not exactly where you pick

Ask Tolchinski about that one, or DLR, or... take the high import pick and lose the risk of someone going "oops, sorry."

Spits haven't hit on an import pick in 5 years

Soberg did alright; inconsistent at times, but alright overall.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Logan Brown could plummet and score five next year. McCool could suddenly want to quit hockey. Is it likely to happen? No. I don't know why thinking so negatively is going to be beneficial. BTW, if Kirwan pulls a Povorozniouk, that puts him at 40 points next year with 15+ goals. You wouldn't want that?

Ask Tolchinski about that one, or DLR, or... take the high import pick and lose the risk of someone going "oops, sorry."

Soberg did alright; inconsistent at times, but alright overall.

You don't understand my comment of players improving. Not everybody is going to improve on a team because player improvement is not the same for everyone. For instance I thought Logan Stanley really struggled and didn't play well, I expect him to prove but looking at the D the past few years and how often D have struggled to take the next step eg. Webermin, Devlin, Ebert(17 and 18 year old years were not good), Bateman, Sanvido, Brown. I don't doubt that Stanley improves I am skeptical that he improves to the level of 2015 1st round billing though and like it or not the Spits will need him to be a shutdown D next year playing 25 minutes a night, big step up for a few shifts per period.

Soberg was alright? Alright enough for him to take up an import and OA spot next year?

As for Kirwan for Povorozniouk absolutely not. Povorozniouk upside is beer league player who can dangle around guys who have had a couple pops before going on the ice and scoring lots of goals. When the lights came on Povorozniouk couldn't finish, couldn't backcheck and played lazy hockey. If Kirwan has a Povorozniouk type year he's not getting drafted.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's one thing to say a guy won't develop at a quick enough pace for instant team success, but the way you came across was what if Kirwan falls off the radar completely like Foss did. I also expect Stanley to benefit from more playing time next year. Bigger d-men take longer to get going, such as Sanvido did. I'm not worried about him at this point. Do I expect everyone to improve immensely and the team have 2-3 slot success? No. Do I expect improvement to a 5-6 slot? Yes.

As for Soberg - completely depends on who's available in the draft. I recall an interview with Soberg not that long ago where he commented that there was an adjustment period to the league and he was more comfortable as the season went along. I'm confident he's a 25/65 guy next year.

As for Povo - I meant strictly points. If Kirwan puts up Povo numbers, that's a huge improvement. In terms of quality of play, then no, you don't want Kirwan going that route.

Nyax

Oct 2, 2008
Parts Unknown
assuming Levin is heading North, and granted I haven't seen Vilardi

I want Tippett. Badly.

only saw him play twice this season. but he's damn exciting.

Tippett. please.

I'd take Vilardi over Tippett. He really impressed me at the Canada Winter Games, with his size and net drive. They both have a lot of potential and you can't really go wrong either way, but I'd take the 6'2 center.

Good teams are strong down the middle. Brown, Keller, Vilardi, Luchuk would be pretty sweet.:yo:

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
I'd take Vilardi over Tippett. He really impressed me at the Canada Winter Games, with his size and net drive. They both have a lot of potential and you can't really go wrong either way, but I'd take the 6'2 center.

Good teams are strong down the middle. Brown, Keller, Vilardi, Luchuk would be pretty sweet.:yo:

Agree with having the #2 pick you focus on what you need and Center is the position any team can improve on and getting a big Center is what most team look to trade for. We also have the 2nd round pick from Sudbury that we can use to help the rebuild if used right, with the upgrades to the scouting staff and the last few draft hopefully we can pull out a good draft that can help us going foward. This year they showed flashes of how good they could be hopefully they take a step in the right direction and do this rebuild the right way

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I am inclined to agree, assuming Levin is picked by the Wolves, take Vilardi, though as you said, can't go wrong with Tippett either, get a goalie with the 2nd pick

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

I too felt Logan Stanley did not develop much till the last month of season, there were some things he showed ie puck handling/rushing that struck me as gaining confidence, he has a great shot, started to hit a bit more
He needs to work on his lateral movement, decision making, get stronger, he does have good glide, I like his upside more then anytime before
Aaron Luchuk impressed me the last 2 weekends, he seemed to hit a wall , in the 2nd half, but I think we will see an improved player next season
Ditto for Danill Vertiy, thought that the youngest forward in the O, improved a lot from the 1st half, increased ice time, coupled with improvements in all areas makes me think he will continue trending upwards
Luke Kirwan, no doubt knows its a big yr coming for him, do think he has the tools, will change his conditioning, needs to use his team mates better instead of always looking to shoot, I expect big improvement
remember Rayzor, for every Foss, who dipped badly, there are those like Ventuto, Doggett and Lewis all of whom that you would have passed on, they all doubled or tripled their goal output, plus significant uptick in points for all

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

Regarding Soberg, unless they draft and can get 2 Euros to report I would keep him, as well if they draft an NHL 1st rounder they won't have to delete Soberg, especially if said 1st rounder decides to stay in Europe 1 more year before coming over
I am not opposed to not having him, but unless both picks are coming, I would keep him, certainly ahead of Sam Povoroznuik
I think Soberg has 25/30 goal and assist potential minimum.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Rayzor

Regarding Soberg, unless they draft and can get 2 Euros to report I would keep him, as well if they draft an NHL 1st rounder they won't have to delete Soberg, especially if said 1st rounder decides to stay in Europe 1 more year before coming over
I am not opposed to not having him, but unless both picks are coming, I would keep him, certainly ahead of Sam Povoroznuik
I think Soberg has 25/30 goal and assist potential minimum.

While I agree with what you are saying it is very possible that unless he is signed by CBJ he may very well decide to return to Europe to play for $$$. His good moments were sandwiched between many times when he seemed to be skating aimlessly at least IMHO....

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
While I agree with what you are saying it is very possible that unless he is signed by CBJ he may very well decide to return to Europe to play for $$$. His good moments were sandwiched between many times when he seemed to be skating aimlessly at least IMHO....

That was going to be my next post. If he's going to be signed by CBJ then I can see him returning but if CBJ tells his agent they won't be signing him.... It might make the most sense to go back to Europe and start making a living.

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
That was going to be my next post. If he's going to be signed by CBJ then I can see him returning but if CBJ tells his agent they won't be signing him.... It might make the most sense to go back to Europe and start making a living.

i read somewhere in an interview around Christmas time that he loved Windsor and that he wouldn't rule out comming back next season if it will help him get to the next level. If you cant get 2 17yr olds from the import draft or 1 17yr old and 1 18yr old that want to come hear then keep Soberg if not then look to trade him and get something for him but hopefully they wait until after the draft just in case someone pulls a DLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad