Windsor Spitfires 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Wouldnt mind Coffey joining behind the bench but lets not have a "Kerby" situation rear its ugly head again.

Jones and Smith bring very little to the table right now with a horrible PP & PK.Coffey might be a breath of fresh air.Stupid on Spits part letting Welley go.Lucky him he's running the #1 PP in the east.

Now that the final nail is being inserted tonight, what 5 top picks,in no order are we looking at and what position.

Anyone??

I agree about the pk, though in fairness 4 rookie d and average to below average tending is the main reason, should be noted London is. 19th in that category with a young d as well.
It is said your goalie should be your best pk guy, well the Whalers with Big Ned and more experienced defense are 17th, as for Eric Wellwood, I agree should have been kept on no question
I will disagree about the pp though, they are 9th, the only team in the top 12 in that category not going to the playoffs.
Last yr they were 13-15th with a better team on the pp

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sec108

The top 5 players rated for the upcoming priority draft April 11 , in not exact order are Cen- David Lenin,Rw-Owen Tippett,Cen-Gabe Vilardi,Dman- Hayden Davis, and LW- Ryan McLeod
My preference is Cen-David Levin, if not I would be happy with Vilardi or Tippett
Once draft position is known by tommorow latest, this will be revisited.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Sec108

The top 5 players rated for the upcoming priority draft April 11 , in not exact order are Cen- David Lenin,Rw-Owen Tippett,Cen-Gabe Vilardi,Dman- Hayden Davis, and LW- Ryan McLeod
My preference is Cen-David Levin, if not I would be happy with Vilardi or Tippett
Once draft position is known by tommorow latest, this will be revisited.

Thx legend for the players upcoming in the draft.Even if Keller comes would still like to see a F scorer.We need more scoring threats imo, we already a bit top heavy on the D.
And with the next pick a high end tender would make me happy.Can't keep grasping at straws looking for a decent goalie each season.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Thx legend for the players upcoming in the draft.Even if Keller comes would still like to see a F scorer.We need more scoring threats imo, we already a bit top heavy on the D.
And with the next pick a high end tender would make me happy.Can't keep grasping at straws looking for a decent goalie each season.

You are welcome re the draft players, I would agree a goalie with the 2nd pick at 23rd o/a should be a goalie.
As mentioned before that selection is the 1st one in the 2nd round, can't see a team picking a tender in the 1st, so Windsor should have a crack at one best ones out there
Even if only 1 goalie is picked in the 1st, should be fine, 2 or 3 that's a different story

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

Here's the Top 10 rated/ranked by The Scout. Follow @RossyYoungblood he has an interesting OHL mock draft...

The list Legend provided does not include US players who have indicated they will be heading to the US but if they would come the list would change to this by all indications.

2015 OHL Draft Top 10

1. Michael Pastujov
Detroit HoneyBaked U16 (HPHL)

2. David Levin
Don Mills Flyers (GTHL)
3. David Farrance
Syracuse Stars U16 (USPHL)

4. Gabriel Vilardi
CIHA Voyageurs (ALLIANCE)
5. Owen Tippett
Toronto Red Wings (GTHL)
6. Hayden Davis
Hamilton Huskies (ALLIANCE)
7. Ian Blacker
Brampton 45s (OMHA - SCTA)
8. Vanya Lodnia
Detroit HoneyBaked U16 (HPHL)
9. Brady Gilmour
Quinte Red Devils (OMHA - ETA)
10. Greg Meireles
Ottawa Jr 67s (OEMHL)

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
thx too Punch for the list,

I understand legends picks of Levin,Vilardi,Tippett. No more US flyers until things stabilize.We cant chance it.Only ontario kids right now.

Does anyone think the Spits could get turned down, by one of the high picks??

Maybe were not the go to place anymore, our #1 picks tell the story recently.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I understand legends picks of Levin,Vilardi,Tippett. No more US flyers until things stabilize.We cant chance it.Only ontario kids right now.

Still think Windsor is a place to go, after all Logan Brown who got picked 6th wanted to come here and he is one of the best 16 year old forwards in the 0
To my knowledge none of players that I listed would turn Windsor down

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

I thought about that too but picking #2 or #3 they'll not make any mistakes...could see someone telling Sudbury no way though....Ho-Sang dropped to 5 because he wanted to come here...

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
You are welcome re the draft players, I would agree a goalie with the 2nd pick at 23rd o/a should be a goalie.
As mentioned before that selection is the 1st one in the 2nd round, can't see a team picking a tender in the 1st, so Windsor should have a crack at one best ones out there
Even if only 1 goalie is picked in the 1st, should be fine, 2 or 3 that's a different story

They better draft a goalie!!! Last night Johnston 4 goals on 7 shots against Sarnia,,,
Tonight 4 goals on 4 shots, this kid does not have a future IMO

massey

Sep 5, 2012
They better draft a goalie!!! Last night Johnston 4 goals on 7 shots against Sarnia,,,

I seen the coach was chewing at him last night after being pulled.Now the coach leaves him for 9 goals so far.:shakehead

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
Pretty incomprehensible that Boughner didn't learn from the Kuchmey incident.

(Yes, I know he pulled Johnston, but it was after 9. Come on.)

Boughner achieves nothing leaving Johnston in that long. The season is over.

There is a lot more to this story IMO, like to hear from those of you who seem to have a lot of inside info

Spitsy

Mar 21, 2015

Well after going to the game in Sarnia last night, once again the goalies were left high and dry for the most part. The third goal looked to be a redirect from one of our own players. Its hard to judge a 17yr old goalie on a depleted team. 9 forwards dressed last night and Murphy circling at Sarnia's blueline all night probably didn't help either. Watching the game tonight the homer announcers from the Soo even stated that the Soo players were wide open, never a body on them, and Windsors players looked lost. Not sure what else you want our goalies to do?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Pretty incomprehensible that Boughner didn't learn from the Kuchmey incident.

(Yes, I know he pulled Johnston, but it was after 9. Come on.)

Boughner achieves nothing leaving Johnston in that long. The season is over.

I would have pulled him after the 4th goal at 7.50 of the 1st dont know
he kept the kid in,though I seem to remember Hawerchuck keeping Blackwood in for 10 this yr,why coaches do that, why I dont know

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Well after going to the game in Sarnia last night, once again the goalies were left high and dry for the most part. The third goal looked to be a redirect from one of our own players. Its hard to judge a 17yr old goalie on a depleted team. 9 forwards dressed last night and Murphy circling at Sarnia's blueline all night probably didn't help either. Watching the game tonight the homer announcers from the Soo even stated that the Soo players were wide open, never a body on them, and Windsors players looked lost. Not sure what else you want our goalies to do?

Yes and when the Spits hit somebody ie Graehme Brown on Goetz,its called head checking,terrible call,then Goetz gets Chatfield on a drive by Matt Cooke type hit to the jaw and gets 2,although neither play had anything to do with the result of the contest

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Tonights loss at SSM,perfect case of shots on goal mean not much,its scoring chances
Never saw a game where a team Windsor outshoots a team 29-27 as it was tonight and lose 12-1
Have never seen this either before,Trevor Murphy was a -8,Soberg,Lewis,Vertiy all -6,Chatfield-5
That being said, Grahme Brown was a -1,and so were Doggett,Venutto and Digiacinto
Goaltending was awful,like last night at the start of the game

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits finished the yr 0-6 vs SSM,1-5 vs London and Sarnia,and 0-3-1 vs Guelph
Against the rest of the league they were 22-21-1-2

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Tonights loss at SSM,perfect case of shots on goal mean not much,its scoring chances
Never saw a game where a team Windsor outshoots a team 29-27 as it was tonight and lose 12-1
Have never seen this either before,Trevor Murphy was a -8,Soberg,Lewis,Vertiy all -6,Chatfield-5
That being said, Grahme Brown was a -1,and so were Doggett,Venutto and Digiacinto
Goaltending was awful,like last night at the start of the game

Murphy didn't play well last night against sarin a.He is one of my favourite to watch in ohl.he was moved to forward for the 3rd period last nite

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I noticed you count ot losses as a loss,if thats the case,currently 10 teams in the O
would be under 500,and 6 of them are making the playoffs,including Saggy,Sarnia,Kitch,Peter,Belleville and Kingston
Owen Sd is 1 game over then
As for Windsor"s record vs Kitchener,its 1-1-0-2,and I dont consider Kitchener winning 3,would feel the same if reversed,only reason is Paterson was in goal for the last 3,a Spits win and 2 shootout losses
Paterson has saved their butts,they were trending down before he arrived,average goaltending was their issue,if not slightly below
As for the Spits surprised yes at the o/a record against the big clubs
no more surprising then Plymouth not contending and not making the playoffs either
Which is more surprising Windsor or Plymouth?
Most had Windsor at 5 or 6,most had the Whales contending for the conference,and both missed

OT losses are still a loss. It's still part of a winless streak which it was to end the year. Both teams were real bad this year, Plymouth had a lame duck coach and GM which no doubt contributed to some issues. Spits I am not sure why they were so bad down the stretch and I am referring to their work ethic, that give a ___ meter was at a low point or a negative. I know not all the players can go but I certainly don't want this goaltending duo on the roster next year and I don't believe Johnston is the answer. He will probably be back but he will need to be on a short leash because slow starts can doom a team.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

OT losses are still a loss. It's still part of a winless streak which it was to end the year. Both teams were real bad this year, Plymouth had a lame duck coach and GM which no doubt contributed to some issues. Spits I am not sure why they were so bad down the stretch and I am referring to their work ethic, that give a ___ meter was at a low point or a negative. I know not all the players can go but I certainly don't want this goaltending duo on the roster next year and I don't believe Johnston is the answer. He will probably be back but he will need to be on a short leash because slow starts can doom a team.

To me ot losses without the shootout are losses, and that was the point I was making Kitchener, I consider shootout losses as ties always will
As for the goaltending tandem, I am with you on that one, don't want either here, I want start fresh a 16 yr old ideally Depietro and a veteran
You are correct others won't be back besides the overagers, not all eligible to return will.
To be discussed later

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Not going to crash the thread, but classy move by the Spits shaking hands at the end of the game. Being there watching that game, kinda felt bad for your goaltenders. It wasn't like it was 12-1 and they played bad, the chances the D gave up were ehm... well yeah. There's MAYBE 1-2 goals you can fault them for. Looking forward to next year, hopefully you guys get a nice playoff run. :D

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Tonights loss also means Spits will be picking 3rd in the draft unless Missy wins tomorrow, then it will 2nd.
As well, they are picking 9th in the Euro draft.
It would be 6th if Missy wins tomorrow

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
Tonights loss also means Spits will be picking 3rd in the draft unless Missy wins tomorrow, then it will 2nd.
As well, they are picking 9th in the Euro draft.
It would be 6th if Missy wins tomorrow

Lets hope Missy can win tomorrow as the last time we pick 2nd we got a player by the name of Taylor Hall who turned out pretty good. It sucks that Lewis, Venuto and Doggett hard to end their time in the OHL in a 12-1 loss

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Wether Spits draft 2nd or third you'll get the same player. ( unless you grabbed McLeod at 2, but I'm guessing no)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad