Post-Game Talk: win!

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I'm one of the Howard Haters (HH inc :laugh:). But up to this point he has had a above average year. Prior to this game he had a 5 game stint where it appeared he was creeping back to his statistical norm (purely save % wise) and somewhat leaky. However he has done his job this year. I have no problem saying this either. Hasn't been perfect but no one is.

He started out along with Petr hotter than a restauraunt kitchen fire. Has cooled recently but rebounded tonight with a solid performance tonight. I think one of the problems is most who haven't played a lick of hockey at all don't actually know what a soft goal is or see one. So he often gets "credited" with one more often then he should. He still gives them up to me with an alarming frequency more often than not. But most he gets aren't always the supposed type.

But people have biases. I am included in this statement as well. And it is hard to shake them. But he has been above average up to this point this year and I gladly give credit to him for that.

That's a fair assessment. The problem is he doesn't get much fair treatment round these parts :laugh: So last season, the post injury Howard who was bad is the "real" Howard. The pre-injury Howard who was lights out has been erased from the records like it was a Stalinist purge.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Great game. Kronwall is starting to play better. We're not getting out shot. The forward lines are coming together. Smith has found a role, sticking up for Z the other night and not letting Chipchura take cheap shots. Things are looking good, other than the injuries to Pulk and Miller.
Thought the hit on Pulkkinen was dirty as others have said. Completely from behind, near the boards. You never like to see that.
Hopefully AA gets a call up. If Miller and Pulkkinen are out a extended period of time.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
the best part of the game, obviously other than the win, was smiths fight

why? because it shows they're becoming more of a team, not letting themselves get pushed around, starting to stick up for one another, if you have never played hockey then its hard to appreciate just how much that is what makes a team a team.

smith easily in my eyes had the best game of anyone because of it and of course the rest of his game was solid as well

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Great game. Kronwall is starting to play better. We're not getting out shot. The forward lines are coming together. Smith has found a role, sticking up for Z the other night and not letting Chipchura take cheap shots. Things are looking good, other than the injuries to Pulk and Miller.
Thought the hit on Pulkkinen was dirty as others have said. Completely from behind, near the boards. You never like to see that.
Hopefully AA gets a call up. If Miller and Pulkkinen are out a extended period of time.

I don't know if Mantha is 100% yet or not from his concussion. But with 2 wingers going down I would want him and AA to get some games. I am very critical of him due to performance and such but with the good camp I'd much rather see him get a few games first before having to go the Andersson route.

Maybe he could surprise with the right line. Like hey Dats could sure use a shooter for his line to help carry some weight. Wouldn't hurt the kid I think to get a few and see how he looks against NHL competition. He might not be ready atm but it would sure do good things mentally for him and reward him for a good training camp.

I think AA might not though since a C didn't go down. If not Mantha and Jurco getting some games for a stretch would be nice to see if they can fit into the puzzle.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I don't know if Mantha is 100% yet or not from his concussion. But with 2 wingers going down I would want him and AA to get some games. I am very critical of him due to performance and such but with the good camp I'd much rather see him get a few games first before having to go the Andersson route.

Maybe he could surprise with the right line. Like hey Dats could sure use a shooter for his line to help carry some weight. Wouldn't hurt the kid I think to get a few and see how he looks against NHL competition. He might not be ready atm but it would sure do good things mentally for him and reward him for a good training camp.

I think AA might not though since a C didn't go down. If not Mantha and Jurco getting some games for a stretch would be nice to see if they can fit into the puzzle.

At least for Saturdays game there is no call up happening. They are going with Jurco and Andersson to replace Miller and Pulkinnen

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
At least for Saturdays game there is no call up happening. They are going with Jurco and Andersson to replace Miller and Pulkinnen

Rightly so I'd say. Jurco is a given and with Miller out we need a penaltykiller.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Dylan Dylan Dylan Dylan...

Someone good at photoshopping gifs (Flashy?) needs to put Larkin's head on this.

57437_o.gif

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
So what does everybody think of the Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Larkin line?

That's the first time I recall seeing it so far this year, and it was awesome seeing 3 people of that ability all working together. Obviously it weakens other lines, but I liked what I saw and want to see them together to really try to get some offense going consistently

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
So what does everybody think of the Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Larkin line?

That's the first time I recall seeing it so far this year, and it was awesome seeing 3 people of that ability all working together. Obviously it weakens other lines, but I liked what I saw and want to see them together to really try to get some offense going consistently

From an entertainment standpoint, I want to see more of it. It was refreshing seeing Datsyuk play with two top 6 players and he and Zetterberg brought back memories of their chemistry.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Did Richards play on the 4th line long with the injuries? If so, how did he look?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Our numbers are starting to look A LOT better.

* Over 50% in Corsi. In the top half of the league now.
* Finally even in G/GP v GA/GP, 2.50 for both.
* Quickly climbing the ranks in S/GP and SA/GP. No longer bottom 5 in either category, still room for lots of improvement.
* No longer bottom 5 in FO%, still need to get better

And of course we're on a point streak, 6-1-3 in our last 10, 2nd in the division for now.

I'd also like to add that on just an eye-test level, this team is becoming a lot more fun to watch. They're not as hesitant anymore, they're making quick plays and are finding eachother a lot better. Passes are connecting, they're cycling the puck with good success, the D is more involved offensively than we've seen in years. And our transition game actually looks pretty good. Green and Marchenko both add A LOT in that regard.

He rolled the d-pairs pretty evenly and we had very little shorthanded time for a change. That's why the D didn't get bigger minutes. Our PP needs all the practice it can get, and PP minutes aren't that heavy anyway.

Hell yeah brother.

Remember when we sucked and it was time to blow up the team and fire Blashill? Wonder where those posts went? ;)

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Our numbers are starting to look A LOT better.

* Over 50% in Corsi. In the top half of the league now.
* Finally even in G/GP v GA/GP, 2.50 for both.
* Quickly climbing the ranks in S/GP and SA/GP. No longer bottom 5 in either category, still room for lots of improvement.
* No longer bottom 5 in FO%, still need to get better

And of course we're on a point streak, 6-1-3 in our last 10, 2nd in the division for now.

I'd also like to add that on just an eye-test level, this team is becoming a lot more fun to watch. They're not as hesitant anymore, they're making quick plays and are finding eachother a lot better. Passes are connecting, they're cycling the puck with good success, the D is more involved offensively than we've seen in years. And our transition game actually looks pretty good. Green and Marchenko both add A LOT in that regard.

He rolled the d-pairs pretty evenly and we had very little shorthanded time for a change. That's why the D didn't get bigger minutes. Our PP needs all the practice it can get, and PP minutes aren't that heavy anyway.

This is all Blashill's fault!!1! Oh wait... Just kidding, the players are just finally getting it together. :sarcasm:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Hell yeah brother.

Remember when we sucked and it was time to blow up the team and fire Blashill? Wonder where those posts went? ;)

I can only think of one person who kept beating that drum. We can stop making a mountain out of a molehill. It's not like any significant number of posters ever thought that. There's also a guy who thinks Howard is the worst ever and chimes in every time a goal goes in regardless of whether it was good or not. Whatever. That's like focusing on the guy who won't stop bringing up Hudler at every opportunity.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I can only think of one person who kept beating that drum. We can stop making a mountain out of a molehill. It's not like any significant number of posters ever thought that. There's also a guy who thinks Howard is the worst ever and chimes in every time a goal goes in regardless of whether it was good or not. Whatever. That's like focusing on the guy who won't stop bringing up Hudler at every opportunity.

actually there was quite a few posters that kept beating the drum early on. hell i think one of them created a fire blashill thread after the first regulation loss :laugh:

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013

Just think of how good this team could he if we had Hossa instead of Franzen!!! :p

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00