Post-Game Talk: win!

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
nice blowout win for a change! Hope we see AA and not Andersson. Hope Pulks is ok.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
even thought they won this game , mostly because goal-tending performance , i like to see this team get faster . Bring AA and Jurco for the next game .

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I didn't see too many complaints about the injury hits. Is it because we're content with the win? Or do you guys not have a problem with them?

On Pulu, I dunno if I'd expect a suspension, but I was stunned it wasn't at least a 5 min major. He was looking Pulu's back the entire time, had plenty of time to decide not to make the hit, and instead made it as violent as possible. Looked like intent to injure to me. I've seen similar hits get suspended.

On Miller I think it's cut and dry that the head is principle point of contact. That particular rule doesn't seem very open to interpretation. And we've seen Kronwall get suspended for similar, but lesser in my opinion.

Will we see any consequences? Not that it matters to the Wings, but it would be nice to see the department of player safety doing their job...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I didn't see too many complaints about the injury hits. Is it because we're content with the win? Or do you guys not have a problem with them?

On Pulu, I dunno if I'd expect a suspension, but I was stunned it wasn't at least a 5 min major. He was looking Pulu's back the entire time, had plenty of time to decide not to make the hit, and instead made it as violent as possible. Looked like intent to injure to me. I've seen similar hits get suspended.

On Miller I think it's cut and dry that the head is principle point of contact. That particular rule doesn't seem very open to interpretation. And we've seen Kronwall get suspended for similar, but lesser in my opinion.

Will we see any consequences? Not that it matters to the Wings, but it would be nice to see the department of player safety doing their job...

If they suspend Dahlbeck for the Miller hit I'll stop watching hockey. What else could the guy do? Shrink? It wasnt only the head that got hit it was the entire body, if you want to take that hit out of hockey you need to turn it into womens hockey with no contact at all.

The Pulkkinen one was actually a trip where they ended up going into the boards awkwardly. I could've definitely seen a 5 given since he left the game but I dunno about suspension

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Pulu hit only looked bad because he lost his footing right before so he went into the boards very hard. Unfortunate but not suspendable.

Miller hit looks like his skate hit the boards and he stumbled into the hit which had his head low. The Coyote at no point looked to be aiming for the head or even a high hit. Again unfortunate circumstance but nothing I think should be suspended.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
After further review I agree that the Miller one shouldn't be a suspension. I mean the head was still the principle point of contact, and I don't think that much was debatable. But you're right when you say Dahlbeck isn't at fault.

Pulu didn't "lose his footing". He got his foot pushed out from under him by Hanzel's stick. Which makes it even worse. I think that one definitely should be a suspension.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Blash got a chance to rest his top 2 D pairs. I think he should have backed off of Datsyuk and Zetterberg's time too, but with the injuries, dunno.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Lightning sinking like the titanic in the standings. Will they make the playoffs? Man their playoff record is so spotty.

They just won. and yes they will, as soon as Ottawa stops with the ridiculous overtime games. Think they went into like 10 or 15 or something already. Think its like 9 or 10

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
They just won. and yes they will, as soon as Ottawa stops with the ridiculous overtime games. Think they went into like 10 or 15 or something already. Think its like 9 or 10

You still have red hot Panthers and Flyers moving up riding 4 and 3 game winning streaks respectively. Tampa are 5-4-1 their last 10. OTT are 6-2-2. Looks like it just isn't Tampa's year. They have time to turn it around statistically, one team goes cold and they get hot. But they were out of contention at Thanksgiving, and I think Ken and Mickey said teams out of contention by Thanksgiving usually never come back?

Zetterbergs Beard

Red Wins fan
May 20, 2013
Vancouver, BC
You still have red hot Panthers and Flyers moving up riding 4 and 3 game winning streaks respectively. Tampa are 5-4-1 their last 10. OTT are 6-2-2. Looks like it just isn't Tampa's year. They have time to turn it around statistically, one team goes cold and they get hot. But they were out of contention at Thanksgiving, and I think Ken and Mickey said teams out of contention by Thanksgiving usually never come back?

Not necessarily never come back, just that the odds are against teams 4+ points out of a playoff spot at Thanksgiving. But at that time this year Tampa were tied for 8th in the East anyway so I wouldn't count them out just yet.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So... I'm looking at the box score and ice times and things... and there is something I just can't wrap my brain around. We lost 2 forwards early in the game, so ya... forward icetime is going to go up. How and why does Blashill end up with not having a single D with over 20 minutes? Does he really need to stick with 4 fowards and 1 D on the PP when he's short forwards? It worked so whatever... I just can't recall a game with not a single D with at least 20 minutes played...

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
This team has a lot of good elements and is improving. Would be nice to get more regulation wins like this and fewer OT wins but they're managing to get points either way so that's important.

And I just salivate at how good this team would be with a Byfuglien or Shattenkirk if Holland somehow managed to swing a big trade.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
So what are his detractors going to find to ***** about Blashill tonight? :laugh: The coach's challenge made him look genius, we (and Howard) go down 0-1 the game has a different character for sure.

I felt the Miller hit was unfortunate but not overly malicious. Drew had his head low to the opponent's body. Dahlbeck rushed to wipe Miller out but it wasn't an intentional head shot IMO. It's a type the league has to look at and decide if it was a case of running a player who is vulnerable. That is what the NHL wants to eliminate and while I agree with the idea it can be difficult to judge- every incident is different.

The check on Pulkkinen though, WTF? Like Hanzal dropped a flying knee on his back, reminded me of professional wrestling. **** that guy hope he is facing a suspension and more importantly that Pulkks is ok.

As said great to see a Red Wings blowout. They got stronger and stronger as the game went on absolutely schooling Arizona skating circles around them. The Wings looked sick. The Kronwall and DeKeyser goals really lit it up and everybody from Marchenko to Datsyuk was showing some ridiculous style and confidence. What a good game!

I think the question of Pavel's (lack of) production could be explained when we get to see him with Z and Larkin...night and day from playing with Richards, Pulkkinen or Helm. Sure the Coyotes were already buried in the 2nd but damn they looked great together. With all the different line combos it was really fun to watch. That's one thing we almost never saw with Babcock.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
After further review I agree that the Miller one shouldn't be a suspension. I mean the head was still the principle point of contact, and I don't think that much was debatable. But you're right when you say Dahlbeck isn't at fault.

Pulu didn't "lose his footing". He got his foot pushed out from under him by Hanzel's stick. Which makes it even worse. I think that one definitely should be a suspension.

I think the hit on Miller is clean, Miller was in a bad position and the coyotes had no time to react to avoid him.
The hit on Pulkkinen is suspendable. He had Pulkkinen back all the time. That was is definitely suspendable.
So... I'm looking at the box score and ice times and things... and there is something I just can't wrap my brain around. We lost 2 forwards early in the game, so ya... forward icetime is going to go up. How and why does Blashill end up with not having a single D with over 20 minutes? Does he really need to stick with 4 fowards and 1 D on the PP when he's short forwards? It worked so whatever... I just can't recall a game with not a single D with at least 20 minutes played...
Good point. I think it is because he was trying to get PP going.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014

Blash ***** of the year candidate here. Really, you're complaining about having the pp guys out there? If it's a joke then :), if not then :shakehead.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
1. The comment that joked about pulks injury in the game day thread was as douchy as I have ever seen. I mean really, **** it if he misses the net, he's a wing.

2. That pulk hit was ******. I'd rather have had hanzel get a 5, than a suspension. But, since he didn't get that I think he should get a game. As has been said, he was staring at pulk's numbers the whole time.

3. Nice fight smith. I guess if you are going to do it, win, and hope you don't have a hand infection.

4. The coyotes announcers are the absolute worst. If I see Tyson Nash again I'm going to tell him he is a hack. I had never heard him prior to the one time I spoke to him after pissing at their arena.

5. Go Wings!! It's a long road, but this is fun. It will be interesting to see how they deal with the next cold stretch.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Wings with biggest win of the season. Riding a 9 game point streak.

Shortest PGT of the season - don't ever change HFBoards....

Zetterbergs Beard

Red Wins fan
May 20, 2013
Vancouver, BC
1. The comment that joked about pulks injury in the game day thread was as douchy as I have ever seen. I mean really, **** it if he misses the net, he's a wing.

2. That pulk hit was ******. I'd rather have had hanzel get a 5, than a suspension. But, since he didn't get that I think he should get a game. As has been said, he was staring at pulk's numbers the whole time.

3. Nice fight smith. I guess if you are going to do it, win, and hope you don't have a hand infection.

4. The coyotes announcers are the absolute worst. If I see Tyson Nash again I'm going to tell him he is a hack. I had never heard him prior to the one time I spoke to him after pissing at their arena.

5. Go Wings!! It's a long road, but this is fun. It will be interesting to see how they deal with the next cold stretch.

I don't have that picture of that "Tyson Nash's Keys to the Game" graphic from a Coyotes game back in October but it was literally just
  • Attack
  • Defend

On the other hand, Mickey was even more of a treat to listen to than usual tonight. "Holy jumpin'." He's like everybody's favorite drunk uncle :laugh:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Wings with biggest win of the season. Riding a 9 game point streak.

Shortest PGT of the season - don't ever change HFBoards....

None of the usual suspects are around tonight to complain about Blashill or Holland after a dominating win.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Scoring attempts were 47-25 and that's our season-high number. Most attempts for and biggest differential vs. opposite team.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Im pretty sure they were out of a playoff spot. but still a couple points away from getting back in one. I will check right now

But the thanksgiving playoff scenario is. If you are in or 4 points behind 80% of the time your team is in.

So Looks like the most hated anaheim is out. Unless they go on a Ottawa run. Don't see that happening. They are who they are. And They were just unlucky this year. Or not that good. But the whole Pacific div is trash, So who knows.

Yeah. Tampa was tied with us for points. Anaheim was exactly 4 points out. But with how they have played recently. I would bet they are done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad