Post-Game Talk: win!

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
One thing I really liked most about the game is that they didn't put the brakes on tonight. Now I know it happens sometimes like if you are on a game 1 of a 3 in 4 stretch and the past 2 weeks we have had a very nice every other day game stretch.

But I really appreciate they took it to them all game. In a way I think the hits that took out our guys really got the juices flowing and got the killer instinct going. It was nice to see.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
dog3.jpg

Dog soup

Looked great 5 on 5~ PP leaves something more to be desired still

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Im pretty sure they were out of a playoff spot. but still a couple points away from getting back in one. I will check right now

But the thanksgiving playoff scenario is. If you are in or 4 points behind 80% of the time your team is in.

So Looks like the most hated anaheim is out. Unless they go on a Ottawa run. Don't see that happening. They are who they are. And They were just unlucky this year. Or not that good. But the whole Pacific div is trash, So who knows.

Yeah. Tampa was tied with us for points. Anaheim was exactly 4 points out. But with how they have played recently. I would bet they are done.

Anaheim will bounce back. I'm quite sure about it. It's just too good team, and there's no injury problems or anything right now.

Usually it's only injuries that will drop some favourite out.

Like at East, the TOP9 is set already. One team will be bounced out because of injuries at some point of the season, and that completes the TOP8.

West is even easier to predict. Arizona's fly won't last, and Pacific will get 3 spots for LAK, SJS and ANA. Central takes 5 spots, the current TOP5 from there. WPG an COL out.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Like at East, the TOP9 is set already. One team will be bounced out because of injuries at some point of the season, and that completes the TOP8.

Name the teams...I think FLorida (10th) has a better chance than the NJD (9th)..counting out lightning already (I hope they don't make it)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Name the teams...I think FLorida (10th) has a better chance than the NJD (9th)..counting out lightning already (I hope they don't make it)

Florida is out.

Montreal
Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Tampa Bay

NY Rangers
Washington
NY Islanders
Pittsburgh

Tampa Bay will push back to playoff spot, if those injuries won't last whole season.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Florida is out.

Montreal
Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Tampa Bay

NY Rangers
Washington
NY Islanders
Pittsburgh

Tampa Bay will push back to playoff spot, if those injuries won't last whole season.

Florida is only 4 points back of us with 2 games in hand (including their win over us). No one has realistically set themselves apart yet.

Buffalo, Toronto, Carolina, and Columbus are really the only teams that look to be out of it.

It's only December. Way to early to predict who makes the playoffs and who doesn't. One or two teams currently in it are likely to fall out of contention as the year winds down.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
None of the usual suspects are around tonight to complain about Blashill or Holland after a dominating win.

There's always Howard though. He let in a goal, and as we know, all Howard goals are "softies". We also need to find a way to make that disallowed goal count so as to make Howard look worse.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
There's always Howard though. He let in a goal, and as we know, all Howard goals are "softies". We also need to find a way to make that disallowed goal count so as to make Howard look worse.

I'm one of the Howard Haters (HH inc :laugh:). But up to this point he has had a above average year. Prior to this game he had a 5 game stint where it appeared he was creeping back to his statistical norm (purely save % wise) and somewhat leaky. However he has done his job this year. I have no problem saying this either. Hasn't been perfect but no one is.

He started out along with Petr hotter than a restauraunt kitchen fire. Has cooled recently but rebounded tonight with a solid performance tonight. I think one of the problems is most who haven't played a lick of hockey at all don't actually know what a soft goal is or see one. So he often gets "credited" with one more often then he should. He still gives them up to me with an alarming frequency more often than not. But most he gets aren't always the supposed type.

But people have biases. I am included in this statement as well. And it is hard to shake them. But he has been above average up to this point this year and I gladly give credit to him for that.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
This felt more like a "real" win... outscore opponent by more than 1-2 goals, outshot them like 44-27... when was the last time this happend? cant remember

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Our numbers are starting to look A LOT better.

* Over 50% in Corsi. In the top half of the league now.
* Finally even in G/GP v GA/GP, 2.50 for both.
* Quickly climbing the ranks in S/GP and SA/GP. No longer bottom 5 in either category, still room for lots of improvement.
* No longer bottom 5 in FO%, still need to get better

And of course we're on a point streak, 6-1-3 in our last 10, 2nd in the division for now.

I'd also like to add that on just an eye-test level, this team is becoming a lot more fun to watch. They're not as hesitant anymore, they're making quick plays and are finding eachother a lot better. Passes are connecting, they're cycling the puck with good success, the D is more involved offensively than we've seen in years. And our transition game actually looks pretty good. Green and Marchenko both add A LOT in that regard.

So... I'm looking at the box score and ice times and things... and there is something I just can't wrap my brain around. We lost 2 forwards early in the game, so ya... forward icetime is going to go up. How and why does Blashill end up with not having a single D with over 20 minutes? Does he really need to stick with 4 fowards and 1 D on the PP when he's short forwards? It worked so whatever... I just can't recall a game with not a single D with at least 20 minutes played...
He rolled the d-pairs pretty evenly and we had very little shorthanded time for a change. That's why the D didn't get bigger minutes. Our PP needs all the practice it can get, and PP minutes aren't that heavy anyway.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
This felt more like a "real" win... outscore opponent by more than 1-2 goals, outshot them like 44-27... when was the last time this happend? cant remember

Nice to see the shot totals creeping up as the year goes on. They are definitely getting a better handle on the system.

74b68e80c7d9f757182ac940fd429a88.png

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Anaheim will bounce back. I'm quite sure about it. It's just too good team, and there's no injury problems or anything right now.

Usually it's only injuries that will drop some favourite out.

West is even easier to predict. Arizona's fly won't last, and Pacific will get 3 spots for LAK, SJS and ANA. Central takes 5 spots, the current TOP5 from there. WPG an COL out.

Maybe. The Pacific is really, really weak. But Anaheim is done either way. Heck they might make the conference finals if they sneak in because the road there would be pretty easy i think. But then get thrashed in the conference finals. They just dont have it this year. and I never thought they did. Cup favorites? more like division. They have a solid roster. but nobody on the dcore or goalie speak out to me. Their top six is the only great part about that roster.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Maybe. The Pacific is really, really weak. But Anaheim is done either way. Heck they might make the conference finals if they sneak in because the road there would be pretty easy i think. But then get thrashed in the conference finals. They just dont have it this year. and I never thought they did. Cup favorites? more like division. They have a solid roster. but nobody on the dcore or goalie speak out to me. Their top six is the only great part about that roster.
Anaheim's really lucky to be in the Pacific right now. If they were in the Central they'd be out of the race for sure. There are 5 teams in the Central with a better point-total than the 2nd best team in the Pacific.
It's a bit unfortunate actually, because Anaheim's one of our most likely trade partners. Vatanen, Theodore... even Lindholm/Fowler/Despres, they could be willing to move someone if they are out of the playoffs. Btw I don't think their top 6 is impressive really. They're pretty weak on the wings, and Getzlaf, Kesler and Perry are all trending the wrong direction. Their D is the strongest part of the team for sure.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I thought we were really lucky. Two gift goals + coach's challenge.
We had a couple in the crossbar, missed breakaways, some big saves by Smith early, a save on the goal-line by OEL... sure two goals were flukes, but those were far from our only chances. It was basically 60 minutes of domination.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Well if Pulkkinen is definitely going to be out awhile, This will give Jurco a chance to see what he can do. Hope AA is recalled if Miller is out awhile but knowing Holland he probably stick with Andersson in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00