Post-Game Talk: WIN!! - San Jose @ Nashville: Game 4 - Highway to the Danger zone edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Since this is aimed at me....

It's an annoying/dull to watch and is highly dependent on your goaltender bailing you out quite often. It's the equivalent of "parking the bus" in European football when you realize the opposing team is heads and shoulders better than you and countering when their defenders are pushed up or after a set piece. Leicester and other mid table to bottom of the table clubs use it as they have zero chance of winning playing balanced or attack heavy against top clubs. I'm curious how Leicester plays in the Champions League next year.

Besides, the difference in overall talent between the Sharks and Preds is nowhere near the difference between Leicester vs. Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea (when playing like their normal selves) and Man United talent wise. Leicester only has a few players who "might" get into the first team of those clubs.

I'm not invading your sub forum. Just stating my perspective on the comparison. It worked in Nashville's favor tonight so it clearly was the right move but like I said, it's dependent on other factors too like Rinne's performance.

By the way, in the football world, that strategy is looked down upon or at unfavorably but mid to bottom dwellers have to pull out wins or draws in some manner against superior teams on paper.

If you or anyone else found this game "dull" then you might want to take up skydiving or BASE jumping because you clearly need more adrenalin than most normal humans.

But that said we heard this same thing years ago when there WAS a talent gap between the Preds and some of the teams we played.

It was a crappy argument that reeked of sore loserness back then, and it has the same stench now.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

It's an annoying/dull to watch and is highly dependent on your goaltender bailing you out quite often. It's the equivalent of "parking the bus" in European football when you realize the opposing team is heads and shoulders better than you and countering when their defenders are pushed up or after a set piece. Leicester and other mid table to bottom of the table clubs use it as they have zero chance of winning playing balanced or attack heavy against top clubs. I'm curious how Leicester plays in the Champions League next year.

Besides, the difference in overall talent between the Sharks and Preds is nowhere near the difference between Leicester vs. Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea (when playing like their normal selves) and Man United talent wise. Leicester only has a few players who "might" get into the first team of those clubs.

I'm not invading your sub forum. Just stating my perspective on the comparison. It worked in Nashville's favor tonight so it clearly was the right move but like I said, it's dependent on other factors too like Rinne's performance.

By the way, in the football world, that strategy is looked down upon or at unfavorably but mid to bottom dwellers have to pull out wins or draws in some manner against superior teams on paper.

This game was awesome ... i was so tired at the end, i can't imagine the players.

Captain Weber know's how to make it more thrilling ... alllez .. .acouple of 4vs5 for the fan's thrill and ... hop ;-)

Amazing game ... i love hockey.

SJSharks408

Apr 13, 2012
San Jose
If you or anyone else found this game "dull" then you might want to take up skydiving or BASE jumping because you clearly need more adrenalin than most normal humans.

But that said we heard this same thing years ago when there WAS a talent gap between the Preds and some of the teams we played.

It was a crappy argument that reeked of sore loserness back then, and it has the same stench now.

First, I never say I found the game dull. You're making a lot presumptions there. I enjoyed the game quite a bit for entertainment value despite the loss. It was most definitely thrilling. However, I find the "sitting back" or "park the bus" playstyle dull. Simply an opinion. Teams play to their strengths anyways.

Anyways, what argument am I making atm? All I said is I do not find it (playstyle) entertaining aka dull. No need to resort to "sore loser" insults. I'm already over the loss. Honestly, I mostly posted in response to the Leicester comparison which I disagreed with a bit.

Last edited:

SJSharks408

Apr 13, 2012
San Jose
This game was awesome ... i was so tired at the end, i can't imagine the players.

Captain Weber know's how to make it more thrilling ... alllez .. .acouple of 4vs5 for the fan's thrill and ... hop ;-)

Amazing game ... i love hockey.

Yes, it was an exciting game. It's not fun to lose and a triple OT loss hurts more than a blowout but at least I can say I got my entertainment worth out of the game. Preds are a good team and I anticipated this going at least 6. Now, it's highly possible it goes all the way to 7. Congrats on the win. You guys found a way and hopefully we're ready for Game 5 back at the tank.

Last edited:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

i do not know that it is "looked down upon" s you put it, it is somewhat unorthodox, but a valid strategy, that is employed by many teams, even those with talent.

i have seen the italians play a 6-3-1 in world cups before. it is boring as ****, but you do what you gotta do.

also, i will quote this post next year when leicester city pulls some surprises in the champions league

SJSharks408

Apr 13, 2012
San Jose
i do not know that it is "looked down upon" s you put it, it is somewhat unorthodox, but a valid strategy, that is employed by many teams, even those with talent.

i have seen the italians play a 6-3-1 in world cups before. it is boring as ****, but you do what you gotta do.

also, i will quote this post next year when leicester city pulls some surprises in the champions league

I know quite a bit about European football and it is most definitely looked down upon by top clubs even if they don't say anything directly. If anyone is familiar with Chelsea upsetting Barcelona in the Champions League Final in 2012, that game is the definition of "park the bus" but in this case a top club vs. perhaps the best club on the planet with the best player in the world.

Chelsea upset Barca in an ugly game. Anyways, it is most definitely a legitimate strategy and has proven successful before but it comes with its risks.

I just felt that Leicester wasn't a good comparison since Sharks and Preds are talent wise relatively similar but us being better in the offensive department and Preds possibly slightly better in terms of defense. As for Leicester, I'm not sure they make it out of the group stage but we'll see. I anticipate the lengthened schedule and travel will be a huge adjustment.

Last edited:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I know quite a bit about European football and it is most definitely looked down upon by top clubs even if they don't say anything directly. If anyone is familiar with Chelsea upsetting Barcelona in the Champions League Final in 2012, that game is the definition of "park the bus" but in this case a top club vs. perhaps the best club on the planet with the best player in the world.

Chelsea upset Barca in an ugly game. Anyways, it is most definitely a legitimate strategy and has proven successful before but it comes with its risks.

I just felt that Leicester wasn't a good comparison since Sharks and Preds are talent wise relatively similar but us being better in the offensive department and Preds possibly slightly better in terms of defense. As for Leicester, I'm not sure they make it out of the group stage but we'll see.

so, if i understand you correctly, you are saying that you would rather your team lose pretty, than win ugly because class is more important than results?

i take it you are a fan of the english and//or croatian national teams then :laugh:

one of these years, they're going to have to let theo walcott play :sarcasm:

SJSharks408

Apr 13, 2012
San Jose
so, if i understand you correctly, you are saying that you would rather your team lose pretty, than win ugly because class is more important than results?

i take it you are a fan of the english and//or croatian national teams then :laugh:

one of these years, they're going to have to let theo walcott play :sarcasm:

No, that's not what I'm suggesting. I rather win whether ugly or not. :yo:

As an Arsenal supporter though (went to 5 games while I was in England in 2014), a lot of our club's supporters probably look down at parking the bus since our play (classy quick passing attacking football) is like the polar opposite but if we used it to beat a club like Bayern or Barca, we'd all love it. :laugh:

Nope, I support the US National team no matter how ugly we play. A goal is a goal and a win is win. I might not enjoy the performance at times but I will be sure to enjoy the win. :D

The thing with the Sharks is though if we sitback/play defensive, we tend to fail. Todd Mclellan used to do that with us when we had a lead and we tended to fold over like a deck of cards. It was neither enjoyable nor successful for us.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Face it - the Sharks would just like a win, period, in the conference semis.

Yeah, three conference finals in 24 seasons. Last one was a sweep by a team we've actually avoided ever getting swept by.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN

So, you think our coaches intentionally decided "Hey, let's let them have 80% of the chances. We'll just hope Rinne saves us and we get a lucky bounce?"

There's no question that the Sharks controlled play during the second and third OT, but I don't think that was a conscious choice by the Preds.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
So, you think our coaches intentionally decided "Hey, let's let them have 80% of the chances. We'll just hope Rinne saves us and we get a lucky bounce?"

There's no question that the Sharks controlled play during the second and third OT, but I don't think that was a conscious choice by the Preds.

I was not referring to the Preds at all. That was purely, 100% a soccer only post.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
just watched the highlights and of course the NBC announcer claimed that this was our "first ever overtime playoff victory"

:shakehead
:facepalm:

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Yep, our first OT win at home in the playoffs.

I don't think we were intentionally sitting back, moreso that the Sharks dictated the play for the majority of overtime and you don't want to be the one to make a mistake that ends up in the back of your net.

I admire the way the Sharks played after giving up the early goal. If it weren't for Pekka Rinne this game is over in regulation much less any of the overtimes.

My take on the Pavelski no goal is if he doesn't touch the puck with his stick it's no goal since he used his hand, but he cannot play the puck with his stick while lying on the goaltender since he is interfering with the goaltender's opportunity to play the position. Kudos for how they responded as the pressure just ramped up from there.

How about our penalty kills in OT? I had the remote in my hand both times waiting to turn the TV off but we somehow pulled it out.

Get some rest boys, Saturday comes mighty soon.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
First, Preds didn't sit back in OT, Sharks had them pinned back several times. Big difference, and IF they did sit back, it's a common strategy in long playoff OT games. As well as resting a player for a long stretch to get him some legs, while the other team tires. Rope-a-Dope, and it works quite well.

Second, a handful several pages back saying the Preds stole this one. Withe the Sharks deflection goals and the Preds posts in regulation, it could easily have been a 4-1 Preds win in 60. It was definitely a deserved win, if anything the Sharks were the lucky ones to even be in OT

Phototropic

Feb 4, 2012
Chattanooga
First, Preds didn't sit back in OT, Sharks had them pinned back several times. Big difference, and IF they did sit back, it's a common strategy in long playoff OT games. As well as resting a player for a long stretch to get him some legs, while the other team tires. Rope-a-Dope, and it works quite well.

Second, a handful several pages back saying the Preds stole this one. Withe the Sharks deflection goals and the Preds posts in regulation, it could easily have been a 4-1 Preds win in 60. It was definitely a deserved win, if anything the Sharks were the lucky ones to even be in OT

Couldn't have said it better. With the number of posts NSH hit in regulation, plus two of SJ's goals coming from shots that weren't even going on net until they hit a NSH defenseman and went in, I'd say SJ was fortunate to even be in OT.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

Definitely ... between Mr post, Mrs Luck and Dr Right ... all 3 were asside SJS playing against us in regular time.
First period could have been 3-0. Then things got tighter. But we still had the upper hand in terms of real opportunities ... and the posts ... .

We deserved this win. SJS played well and .... but it was a deserved win.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Gonna fess up to leaving after the second OT. I am ashamed but in my defense, I am a healthcare provider and can't just call in cause I stayed up till the wee hours watching hockey.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Especially considering the team's record in OT this season (yeah, I know that was 3-on-3), that was an amazing win.

Go Preds!!!

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
a great fan shout out to Brian (handtrick). As he always does, drives two hours here from Chattanooga. Stays the entire game, Drives home despite a long wreck delay over Monteagle Mtn. loses an hour due to time change. walks in his door at 5:30 his time. changes into his Dr. uniform and goes to do surgery this morning....

poor, unlucky patients... :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad