Win or McDavid?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
He's the guy I want too. Very, very unlikely at 12. At 10 we could have a much better, but still outside chance.

If there was a draft that a guy like Provorov could fall, it'd be this year's. Russian factor + smaller than desired size for a top 10 D pick...you never know.

I've got my fingers crossed with you.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I like Provorov as well, but he's trending up lately, with some people even thinking he's making top top 5 a top 6. With him playing in the WHL, I'd be very surprised if he's still there at 10, much less at 12.

Should probably set our sights on someone else.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I really doubt Provorov is available at 10. If he is there, we take him. BPA all day.

Adding Provorov to the cupboard of Oleksiak, Jokipakka, Honka, Klingberg, Nemeth, Lindell, Backman, Hansson, Prapavessis, Bystrom, Haydon, Makela is crazy though.

Assuming IP9 doesn't fall, like level headed human beings, we draft a skilled forward and I spend that warm June day happy.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I may be rationalizing here, but its a deep draft, and those rankings, etc. rarely follow exactly what really happens, past the top 2-5 or so.

We will get a pretty good player at 12, at least if Nill drafts as well as we hope. We go the fifth ranked Nuke at 10. Niewy had JC ranked 3 and got him at 11 (although that hasn't panned out yet) while Gainey took a 55th ranked Jarome Ignila at 11 when most folks thought he was nuts.

I guess, despite all the pre-draft hype, we don't know that the guy we pick at 12 or whatever won't be better than a guy picked at 6-11. So much happens.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I've always thought it was silly to get upset at a pick thinking we picked a bust. Saw that happen a few times here for the last two drafts. Get upset about us not picking who we think is the right guy, sure, but calling whoever we pick a bust is a bit extreme.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Back when the 49's were the most successful drafting team, I recall thinking that they picked players that fit their system, and also had the best assistant coaches.

It may be no surprise that the current crop played under Whiteboard Willie in Austin. Stars seem to have more say in where their guys are playing all over the world than I recall in the past, so I think Nill understands that even into the third round, talent may be about equal, but development makes the difference.

Lets hope so.

Of course, I am still hoping for some long overdue lottery luck.......go ping pong balls!

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
We will get a pretty good player at 12.

I think so. It probably won't be someone who is NHL-ready, but we should be able to find a top-6 forward for 2-4 years down the line. Outside chance we get a top pairing D if Provorov falls, or if we take J. Roy.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Current Situation:

Gotta love 90+ point seasons where you miss the playoffs...that's where we're headed.

With last night's win, we grabbed the #12 Draft Seed and we mathematically eliminated the possibility of doing any better than the #8 draft seed. The good news is...we can't do any worse than #12 Draft Seed, which means Yeah I know, but at least there's that.

If the season ended today:

Odds of picking 12th: 94.5%
Odds of picking 13th: 3%
Odds of picking 1st: 2.5%

Possible Draft Seed Range: 8th-12th

Teams we want to win:

San Jose
Florida
Colorado
Columbus

We don't play any of these teams, so we in no way control our draft seed fate at this point. Just have to lose the last two and see where the cards fall.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
The Latest Draft Race News:

Well, I've got some good news to report. The Avs won tonight. It is still possible for them to pass us up. Though it's a long shot. If we win 1 more game, or lose the last two in OT or a shootout, Colorado clinches a higher draft seed than us.

Columbus has to win out and we have to lose our last 2 in regulation for them to pass us up. Let's go Jackets!

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Columbus won tonight...so that's good. Just two more wins for them and two regulation losses for us and we pass them in draft seeding.

If we can pull off a reg loss tonight, at least one of Florida or San Jose beats either Boston or Edmonton respectively giving us the 11th draft seed...maybe the 10th if we get a little luck.

We can still get back into the top 10! But tonight is a key must lose...and lose right. No loser point.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Congratulation Dallas! You've done it again.

We are the king of picking in the double digits! Not that we are the king of picking well in the double digits, just the king of clinching that double-digit draft seed. With the Stars' win tonight we have made it mathematically impossible to get the #9 draft seed. To get the #10, both San Jose and Florida would have to win their last 2 games, and we'd have to lose our last one in regulation...doubtful. So we will pick 11th or 12th. Knowing our luck, you can bet on 12th...the position I joked about almost all year long.

Provorov?...forget it. Barzal?...probably not. We'll still likely get somebody good, but you know how it is...playing the role of the vulture again.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
With San Jose losing to LA, the best we can pick is 11th now.

Need Florida to win and then we lose to get there.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I think I'm okay with this.

For your own mental health, it's best that you're "okay with this" because nothing can be that done to change it. The sooner you are okay with it, the better. It is definitely less than ideal though.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
For your own mental health, it's best that you're "okay with this" because nothing can be that done to change it. The sooner you are okay with it, the better. It is definitely less than ideal though.

:laugh:

McDavid, 12th, or 13th.

I'll take an Art Ross + 12th for 10th, honestly.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I'll take an Art Ross + 12th for 10th, honestly.

I agree, but why does it have to be one or the other?? So with this "one or the other" logic, is that why we couldn't we one of the best offenses in the league AND made the playoffs?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
2.5% chance we get the no. 1 pick in the lotto, and I will root for that as hard as some folks rooted to make the PO, until it wasn't mathematically possible. That drawing is coming up in a week or so, if I recall correctly, so we can have a little dream until them.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I agree, but why does it have to be one or the other?? So with this "one or the other" logic, is that why we couldn't we one of the best offenses in the league AND made the playoffs?

Well, I don't think its realistic to expect Benn to get 7 points in 2 games and we lose both of them.

It's very situational.

2.5% chance we get the no. 1 pick in the lotto, and I will root for that as hard as some folks rooted to make the PO, until it wasn't mathematically possible. That drawing is coming up in a week or so, if I recall correctly, so we can have a little dream until them.

Saturday at 7 PM CST.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Well, I don't think its realistic to expect Benn to get 7 points in 2 games and we lose both of them.

It's very situational.

Come on man. This season didn't HAVE to play out the way it did. Like there was no other way for Benn to win the Art Ross than for us to pick in the teens. Come on....

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Come on man. This season didn't HAVE to play out the way it did. Like there was no other way for Benn to win the Art Ross than for us to pick in the teens. Come on....

I'm not saying that.

With two games left though, it was probably one or the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad