Win or McDavid?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Tanking Tutorial

So here's what you should be rooting for since the playoffs are not happening. The Stars can max out at 94 points on the season if they win the remaining 5...meaning we have plenty of room to mess up our draft more than we already have. As such, we want every team who has between 75 points (NJ...no one below NJ at 75 points in the standings can pass the Stars in the standings from beneath us with the amount of games remaining) and 94 points and to pick up as many points as possible so that we can't catch them if they are above us in the standings.

So until the Stars lower their TANK NUMBER of 94 max points on the season(by losing of course) we need the following teams to pick up as many points as possible:

Washington
Detroit
Calgary
Boston
Winnipeg
Ottawa
LA
San Jose
Florida
Colorado
Philly
Columbus
NJ

As of right now the Stars mathematically could still get the 6th OA if they lost out the 5 remaining games in regulation. In that regard, we control our destiny! ;)

I will keep you updated.

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
So until the Stars lower their TANK NUMBER of 94 max points on the season(by losing of course) we need the following teams to pick up as many points as possible:

Washington
Detroit
Calgary
Boston
Winnipeg
Ottawa
LA
San Jose
Florida
Colorado
Philly
Columbus
NJ

As of right now the Stars mathematically could still get the 6th OA if they lost out the 5 remaining games in regulation. In that regard, we control our destiny! ;)

I will keep you updated.

So far, so good tonight. Of these teams the following have picked up points so far tonight:

Washington, Columbus, Ottawa, Boston, and Florida picked up wins, LA is up 3-0 on Edmonton...count that as a win.

Only Detroit and Calgary failed to get wins of the teams that benefit us to pick up points.

Washington crossed the our TANK NUMBER of 94 points...they now have 96 points with the win and we are guaranteed to pick before they do in the draft...unless they somehow miss the playoffs and win the lotto, but let's forget about that for now. Gotta think positive. This is one less team we have to worry about!

Here are the teams left that we still need to concern ourselves with (we want them to win):

Detroit
Calgary
Boston
Winnipeg
Ottawa
LA
San Jose
Florida
Colorado
Philly
Columbus
NJ

Once again I will keep you posted!

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
On the "Win" side of things...

Jets are starting to slump a bit, and with Byfuglien being out for 4 games now, their spot is almost assuredly up for grabs. I think it's very possible that they go below .500 for the rest of the season, which puts them at a maximum of 94 points.

If we win out, we'll be in (assuming LA or Calgary doesn't throw a wrench into that - let's just assume they're battling for #3 in the PAC) off of ROW.

If the Jets go 2-3 and the Kings go 3-3, the Kings will earn the last wild card spot. So we need the Jets to go 2-3 or worse, and the Kings to go 2-3-1 or worse. If this happens and we win out, we're in.

So basically, we have to go 4-1 in our next 5 at a minimum to keep our chances alive. 3-2 will get us in if the Jets lose out and the Kings only win one more (and even with this, we'd have to win all 3 in regulation).

LA, Calgary, and Winnipeg are the teams to watch.

LA's winning 3-0 tonight, and Calgary lost to St. Louis.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If we can have a tank update, I don't see why we can't have a win update. :)

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Don't you know that even if that stuff all falls the right way for us, the Stars will lose the last game so that it won't matter?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
So tonight....we need to lose of course. We also benefit if the Avs, Sharks, and Devils pick up points. If NJ loses, we cannot attain the 6th overall pick...best we could mathematically do would be the 7th OA unless we win the lotto.

Oh and go Nuke! Hopefull he gets a Harry and we still lose 6-3!

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Tankilicious!

Tonight went absolutely perfect!

We lost and Nichushkin got a point in his first game back. Every team that we needed to pick up wins did so. NJ, San Jose, and Colorado all won tonight.

What does this mean for us?

Well the Stars have lowered their TANK NUMBER to 92...with only 4 games remaining, 92 points is the worst we can do for our draft(winning out). Boston and Detroit are now mathematically out of reach, so we don't have to worry about them getting an earlier draft pick than us anymore.

The Sharks win puts them 3 points ahead of us, along side of the Panthers at 87 points. Both have played 78 games like us, so that gives us some breathing room with the #10 Draft Seed for the time being.

NJ, with their win, keeps the super slim possibility of the 6th OA pick within mathematical possibility for us.

Here is the updated list of teams that we need to win games to improve our draft position:

Calgary
Winnipeg
Ottawa
LA
San Jose
Florida
Colorado
Philly
Columbus
NJ

Happy tanking and goodnight!

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So we've got to win out now for our playoff hopes to remain alive. 4-0. Every game is a must win.

Jets and Kings can only win one game each as well.

Is this likely? Absolutely not. But we're not mathematically out yet.

Probably will be in 24 hours though.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
So we've got to win out now for our playoff hopes to remain alive. 4-0. Every game is a must win.

Jets and Kings can only win one game each as well.

Is this likely? Absolutely not. But we're not mathematically out yet.

Probably will be in 24 hours though.

Oh Latvian, you are a goose of the silly variety.:)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Can't be eliminated tonight.

If the Jets get one more point or if the Kings win tonight and get another point after that, then we're officially out.

Have to win out still.

Still a chance. Virtually none, but I'll do this until it's 0.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Ugh. A win tomorrow night against SJ, and we lose 2 draft seeds...down from 10th to 12th. I just can't watch it. You know they're gonna win.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
WARNING: Pending disaster. When the Stars win tonight they will go from the 10th draft seed to the 12th. We will also make it impossible to do any better than the 8th draft seed mathematically because at 88 points with the tie-breaker Philly can no longer pass us in the standings.

Currently the Jackets are on fire! They have won 9 in a row. They are tied with the Rangers 2-2 after 2 periods of play. Maybe....maybe they can pass us up. EVEN YOU CAN GET ON BOARD WITH THIS LATVIAN!...because Columbus's standing has no bearing on our (gulp)....playoff hopes. :sarcasm: Let's hope they can continue their improbable winning streak with another big win tonight.

Calgary has passed up our tank number of 92 points since my last update, so we don't have to worry about them stealing a draft seed out from under us(with the exception of if the odd chance that they fall out of the playoffs and win the lotto. Ditto for Ottawa...can't catch them either.

Here are the teams to watch that can impact our draft position:

Winnipeg
LA
San Jose
Florida
Colorado
Philly
Columbus

The list is shrinking. We should have a much better idea of whereabouts we will be drafting after tonight's action and potential clinches.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'll get on board once we're mathematically out :laugh:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Ugh. CBJ gave up their lead on NYR with 27.5 seconds left....headed to OT. At least they picked up a point so far.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Damn. CBJ loses in OT after giving up the late game-tying goal. 83 points in 79 games...same amount of GP as us. Gonna be tough for them to catch us with only 3 games left. The Avs have a very tough schedule, so my hopes aren't high that they will catch us either. I think we pick between 10-12, which is not what I want for us. There will still be some good players on the board, but I doubt we get Provorov or Werenski...I doubt the Stars are as high on J. Roy as I am too. So we're probably looking at some of the forwards unless we have an unexpected collapse.

Jets up 2-0 over Minny after 2. Hang in there, Latvian.

jhr1986

Jul 2, 2012
DFWish
This team can't even lose well. They had a good tank going for a while there this season, but as usual once the playoffs become unattainable they start winning. Whatever, at least we'll get to see some more of the wizard in action this off season.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Ugh. A win tomorrow night against SJ, and we lose 2 draft seeds...down from 10th to 12th. I just can't watch it. You know they're gonna win.

Ugh. It's happening. The Stars have been eliminated with the Winnipeg win and we are winning. :cry:

Good news is that the worst draft seed we can have now is 13th. If the Kings win tonight, the worst draft seed we can get is 12th. Go Cali! We need LA and SJ to win to save us from ourselves.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad