Win or McDavid?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I'm not saying that.

With two games left though, it was probably one or the other.

Management shouldn't have ever gotten the team to that point in the season...in the position that they were in with two games left. They had all season to ensure that we didn't finish both out of the playoffs, and in the worst possible position for the draft.

That's NOT having your cake, and still NOT eating it either haha.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Management shouldn't have ever gotten the team to that point in the season...in the position that they were in with two games left. They had all season to ensure that we didn't finish both out of the playoffs, and in the worst possible position for the draft.

That's NOT having your cake, and still NOT eating it either haha.

I'm not arguing that at all. But with less than a handful of games to go, I think we got the best we could.

It sucks, but it happened, and we can't go back and change it. Gotta hope we can play better hockey next season.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I'm not arguing that at all. But with less than a handful of games to go, I think we got the best we could.

It sucks, but it happened, and we can't go back and change it. Gotta hope we can play better hockey next season.

No reason why we can't play better next year with the talent we have. If they miss the playoffs next year, it's everyone's head.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'm not saying that.

With two games left though, it was probably one or the other.

Never should have traded Lindback :rant:

With any luck, Valley's already convincing Nill we should sign him in the off season :sarcasm:

(and yes I know he has played well in Buffalo)

No reason why we can't play better next year with the talent we have. If they miss the playoffs next year, it's everyone's head.

Amen

Edit: Not Nill's though, I like his head to much.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Agree fully. Nill can stay, though. He's not someone you fire easily.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Agree fully. Nill can stay, though. He's not someone you fire easily.

No, if Nill can't put this team in the postseason...again...it's on him too and he should be gone. He's a big part of why the Stars ended up where we did this year...all personal feelings for him aside.

He did nothing for the D in the offseason when he should have, and he wasn't able to dismantle the team enough before the deadline to ensure they wouldn't finish drafting 12th-ish....when it was CLEAR we weren't going to make the playoffs. He's at fault as much as anyone right now.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
He did nothing for the D in the offseason when he should have.

I agree with this, he willingly chose to let the D play itself out and that backfired big time. Let's hope he realizes that was a mistake.

With his big moves though he has earned himself *at least* this season and the next to try and get things together, and as long as things don't get worse than this year I don't see him going anywhere.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
No, if Nill can't put this team in the postseason...again...it's on him too and he should be gone. He's a big part of why the Stars ended up where we did this year...all personal feelings for him aside.

He did nothing for the D in the offseason when he should have, and he wasn't able to dismantle the team enough before the deadline to ensure they wouldn't finish drafting 12th-ish....when it was CLEAR we weren't going to make the playoffs. He's at fault as much as anyone right now.

I agree with this, he willingly chose to let the D play itself out and that backfired big time. Let's hope he realizes that was a mistake.

With his big moves though he has earned himself *at least* this season and the next to try and get things together, and as long as things don't get worse than this year I don't see him going anywhere.

Tell me what he was supposed to do, then. What D were available that were interested in coming to Dallas?

Who else was he supposed to trade at the deadline besides Cole?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I doubt Nill did nothing on D for lack of trying. Please tell us what the options were if you thought he should have made a deal.

Forumites are certainly panning any reasonable option he did have, like Dion P. Yes, he should have been in on Boychuck, but we don't know that he wasn't. Nor were we sure Boychuck would be a true number one guy, either. I think everyone was shooting even higher, and when that wasn't attainable, he thought maybe letting the young guys play was as good an option as any for long term improvement. BTW, I happen to agree. They did make necessary, unavoidable steps forward that any young D must make and struggle to make.

You may say he should be gone for missing playoffs year two, but Nill, TG, and the whole organization made it clear this was a long term process not to be measured in one or two years of individual seasons.

There will probably be a fall guy, just to show some changes, but it would probably be a guy like Valley over a bigger name or position. And, if so, that sounds like about the right move for the franchise in its infancy of building something long term.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

Absolutely he's earned another season, but if he can't get this club to the dance in 2015-2016, then he's not the guy for us. if you make big moves with the owner's money. you better get the results. This season he didn't get the results. I give him a pass. Next year...no pass, and I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't get a pass from ownership either if he doesn't come through again.

Last edited:

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Absolutely he's earned another season, but if he can't get this club to the dance in 2015-2016, then he's not the guy for us. if you make big moves with the owner's money. you better get the results. This season he didn't get the results. I give him a pass. Next year...no pass, and I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't get a pass from ownership either if he doesn't come through again.
Nill set this team up for a decade with a superstar in Seguin and some key prospects who should set this team up for the future. He made moves (or non moves), to set this team up to be good in the medium to long term over short term.

He basically said, we want a top pairing level defenseman or nothing. Gave the young defensemen already on the team time to play and develop. Whether or not you like it, its obvious to all and sundry that he has a plan and is sticking to it. And it doesn't involve selling out to contend right away to satiate the bandwagon fans. He doesn't make moves for the sake of moves like previous GM's, which is the right way to go about it.

In terms of the parts he can control, personnel moves, he's done fine IMO, and has earned more than just one more season.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
And it doesn't involve selling out to contend right away to satiate the bandwagon fans. He doesn't make moves for the sake of moves like previous GM's, which is the right way to go about it.

I thought he was in it for the long-term until he brought on Hemsky(primarily) and Spezza(I have no problem with Spezza) and Eaves and NILL SAID that we were looking to contend NOW in the offseason. The media asked him if these moves meant that we were looking to contend NOW and he said "yes". How short your memory is. He jumped the gun and HE DID CATER TO THE BANDWAGON FANS...and he didn't deliver yet. If he can't come through this next season, he should answer for it.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I thought he was in it for the long-term until he brought on Hemsky(primarily) and Spezza(I have no problem with Spezza) and Eaves and NILL SAID that we were looking to contend NOW in the offseason. The media asked him if these moves meant that we were looking to contend NOW and he said "yes". How short your memory is. He jumped the gun and HE DID CATER TO THE BANDWAGON FANS...and he didn't deliver yet. If he can't come through this next season, he should answer for it.

I don't see how Nill fell through.

This team made the playoffs last season. He added basically a second line to this team. So you'd think we'd be even better this year.

He can't control what goes on on the ice. That's up to Ruff. The defense wasn't playing well, so he shook it up a bit with Dillon moving out for Demers. Seemed to patch the hole for a bit, but injuries took a toll on the defense (Nemeth and Daley especially).

Go ahead and tell me he didn't fix the defense, but there were so few opportunities to do so. And none of them were what we need. Ehrhoff probably had no interest in signing here - he has his $40M from Buffalo, he wants a Cup now. Sekera cost a small fortune, was a UFA to be, and isn't the caliber we need. No one else was good enough to make an impact on this defense. And we'd have to mortgage the future to acquire a guy like Seabrook or OEL, something Nill is simply not going to do - it would be a horrible move for our future.

He's given this team every chance to succeed, he's done everything he can. If we could acquire a top pairing defender without ruining the team now or in the future, don't you think he'd be smart enough to do so?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
We miss the playoffs, pick 12th...missing the 1st and 2nd tiers of the draft, and EDMONTON wins the lottery from the 3rd draft seed. That's about as bad as it gets folks...next season CAN'T be worse.

:help::cry::rant::shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad