Win Now vs Development

Discussion in 'Columbus Blue Jackets' started by onetimerguy, Jan 2, 2019.

1. major major

major major Registered User

I think you're right. The rules changes (obstruction, etc..) make it much harder for lower skill teams to just trap/save their way to the cup. There's less scope for goalies to steal games.

Offensive talent doesn't always win the series, however. Last year a heavier playstyle mixed with skill was enough for the Bruins to wipe out the Leafs, same for the Capitals taking out the Lightning. That's the model that the Jackets have to follow.

2. major major

We should be encouraged because that lower tier is a lot easier to fill than the first tier. If the Jackets can rent Duchene and/or steal a Vanek-like rental (and fix the PP), then we're sitting pretty.

Also, the Lightning are incredible at the moment. They're better now than any of the cup winners have been in years. They look like the 2010 Blackhawks. I'm not even going to try envisioning how the Blue Jackets can become that good, because it's not a reasonable goal. I'm still thinking we can be a better version of the 2011 Bruins.

3. Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse Just post better

How does Wennberg fit into this scenario. I’m not seeing him discussed much at all on this firm lately.

CBJWennberg10 likes this.
  4. major major

Obviously in win now mode he either turns it around quickly or he gets replaced (traded or bumped down the lineup).

In development mode he could have more time, perhaps a summer to prepare for a new position or something.

5. domi28

domi28 Registered User

GAA:
    TB- 2.88
    CBJ- 2.95

How can you say that defensively the Jackets are easily the better team when they have a higher GAA than Tampa Bay and are in the bottom half of the league defensively this season? While they should be the better defensively the Jackets have looked atrocious for large parts of the year. You seem to be confusing name recognition for actual results.

6. WerenskiRules

WerenskiRules HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Department of Justice
    Is "the meeting" set for a specific day next week....or have they just said during all-star week.

I would the outcome of that meeting to have a major impact on the answer of this thread.