Win Now vs Development

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I get into the old school thinking a bit too much that a hot goalie can take a team to the cup. Doesn't seem to be the trend as much any more (now it seems offensive talent does win out more so than a hot goal tender).

I think you're right. The rules changes (obstruction, etc..) make it much harder for lower skill teams to just trap/save their way to the cup. There's less scope for goalies to steal games.

Offensive talent doesn't always win the series, however. Last year a heavier playstyle mixed with skill was enough for the Bruins to wipe out the Leafs, same for the Capitals taking out the Lightning. That's the model that the Jackets have to follow.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Where the problem lies is below that tier and in the overall consistency of the team. Many games the Jackets are flailing around and then boom a play happens and a goal is scored. You watch TB for example and their skill is deep and is on constant display.

We should be encouraged because that lower tier is a lot easier to fill than the first tier. If the Jackets can rent Duchene and/or steal a Vanek-like rental (and fix the PP), then we're sitting pretty.

Also, the Lightning are incredible at the moment. They're better now than any of the cup winners have been in years. They look like the 2010 Blackhawks. I'm not even going to try envisioning how the Blue Jackets can become that good, because it's not a reasonable goal. I'm still thinking we can be a better version of the 2011 Bruins.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
How does Wennberg fit into this scenario. I’m not seeing him discussed much at all on this firm lately.

Obviously in win now mode he either turns it around quickly or he gets replaced (traded or bumped down the lineup).

In development mode he could have more time, perhaps a summer to prepare for a new position or something.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
You don't have a realistic opinion on how good most of our players are in relation to these other teams.

Yes, there are a couple/few teams like TB that clearly have some "higher end" offensive players than us, but they ARENT THAT MUCH BETTER than OUR "high end" guys and the case could EASILY be made that DEFENSIVELY and DEPTHWISE, the CBJ are the better team.

For all you guys that STILL want to hate on "barely top liners", Cam and Dubois, our 1-2 in Panarin and Jones, and all 4 if adding the other 2, ARE RIGHT THERE WITH THE TOP TEAMS.

Just wait till the Murray-Jones pair begins to get LEGIT RECOGNITION leading up to and into the playoffs.

GAA:
TB- 2.88
CBJ- 2.95

How can you say that defensively the Jackets are easily the better team when they have a higher GAA than Tampa Bay and are in the bottom half of the league defensively this season? While they should be the better defensively the Jackets have looked atrocious for large parts of the year. You seem to be confusing name recognition for actual results.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Is "the meeting" set for a specific day next week....or have they just said during all-star week.

I would the outcome of that meeting to have a major impact on the answer of this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad