Post-Game Talk: WIN!! - Game 3 - Nashville Predators (C1) at Dallas Stars (WC1) - NSH Up 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Simmonds has some size and strength and I don't think ALL of his goals come on PP net front presence. He gets some in a few other ways too. Or used to - and that's the problem "used to". 1 goal in 19 games with us so far is not going to cut it no matter what his role is. If he was a 4th line grinder (and sometimes they've used him that way), he better be doing some pretty incredible defensive work or penalty killing or something to only be scoring at a rate that would be 4 goals in a whole season.

I could live with him as a gritty bottom-6 forward if he was adding physicality, character, and able to chip in at something like a 10 goal pace. With an option to go back to the PP net front presence if we need him (like now when Boyle is sick). That'd be enough to keep him in the lineup anyway. Problem now is he isn't ticking enough boxes anywhere on the ice or in any area of the game to even necessarily stay in the lineup. I didn't expect that from the trade. :(

That's the trade deadline for you though. On paper it looked pretty nice to add Boyle, Granlund, and Simmonds to the lineup. Even a diminished Simmonds. But it hasn't made much of a difference... yet anyway. Sometimes it's just too hard for the new guys to settle in and find the combinations and groove that they need to succeed in a short timeframe.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
According to Vingan, Salomaki will be in. I worry a bit about him since he hasn't played an NHL games in months.
If it was the early days Salomaki it would be ok - I could see him getting in on the forecheck and harassing their D at times in his bits of icetime. Now it just seems like he must be so broken that it's hard to expect much. But Gaudreau, or even putting Irwin or Weber up front - it's not like I'd have any better ideas. :dunno:

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Boyle will need 2 weeks appendectomy is what is being rumored for him. 2 weeks until you can do strenuous activity. We need Boyle back something bad he helped the PP and net front presence

Reactions: bdub24

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
We say this every year and then clamor for it every trade deadline.
a lot of us this year surprisingly said no to deadline pickups.

us going to the finals with fiddler being the deadline trade combined with poile's horrid track record of deadline deals should make it pretty clear going forward.

we did however keep our first and top prospects so i am not too upset over any of the moves.

granlund for fiala is going to be the one that could really make poile lose some sleep. and it wasn't a "deadline" move really since they both have term.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I hope Poile never makes a "buying" deadline trade again. Good grief (still love Boyle!).

We didnt trade our 1st, Tolvanen or Fabbro.

It wanst too bad. Granlund producing preferably now and especially next year will be the key to whether this is looked back on as a successful TDL

Reactions: Tex76

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Even with the deadline pickups going about as badly as could ever have been imagined, I can't fault Poile for making any of them. For what we gave up, they seemed like good moves. Moves you pretty much had to make given the availability. I wouldn't say no to deadline moves in the future just because these ones haven't turned out as hoped.

If we win a round and bump the pick on the Simmonds deal up to a 3rd - with absolutely no contribution whatsoever from Simmonds - that'll be kind of funny I suppose. :s

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Could it be Tolvanen time?
I don't think so. There is some tough play out there... somebody to forecheck and get on their D for 8 or 9 minutes on the 4th line is really all we need at this point. If Salomaki can channel his past kamikaze style at all, that'd be great - I just don't know if he has it left in him anymore.

popa

May 3, 2017
Adam Vingan tweeted Boyle had an "appendix procedure".

sorry, didn't see 101st's post above

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I still view about 20% if the trade deadline moves Poile made was to wake the room up. Remember they asked him to keep the team intact and let them try another run. But they had been bouncing along at 500 hockey after a super hot start. Maybe he was trying to make some ok moves (not blockbusters, but not risking the farm) in order to bolster for the loss of Watson and the help needed on the PP, but I think giving the team a slap factored in as well.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Simmonds wont be back, it's why I'm convinced Hartman was causing issues and Poile just wanted to move him.

Wouldn't surprise me and I wouldn't really blame Hartman for being unhappy with his situation. He probably wanted to be getting 15 minutes or so a night, but by the end of his time here was only getting 10 minutes or so. He definitely didn't deserve more ice time,and for a player likely going into arbitration I can see why he would be upset about the lack of opportunity.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I would bet a large bottle of adult beverage that Poile inquired and couldnt beat the offer they got from Vegas. The prospect defenseman they got was much more highly touted than Fabbro.

I'd have offered Tolvanen, Fiala, and a 1st. We'll never know if that package was ever on the table but it would have been hard to turn down. Then again, Stone may not have wanted to sign an extension with us so that package would have been overpayment for a rental.

If only we had a fly on the wall for those conversations. Anyways, back to the game tonight!!

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I would bet a large bottle of adult beverage that Poile inquired and couldnt beat the offer they got from Vegas. The prospect defenseman they got was much more highly touted than Fabbro.

There's a reason Fenton said he was waiting for some chips to fall before completing the Fiala for Granny deal. Poile was in there until the last second. Dorian chose the Vegas package. There was a bunch of talk about Tolvanen around the deadline and how he wasn't viewed as favorably as some might think. I think it's pretty clear that was probably leaked from the OTT side of things. I'm not so sure Fabbro was ever included in those discussions unless Stone was willing to agree to an extension.

That's another huge hurdle. Did Stone want to play in Nashville long term? The most likely scenario is also the hardest to swallow. Stone wanted to be in Vegas and not Nashville or Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad