Win against CBJ or tank & get spanked?

What do you want to see?

• Total voters

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I actually expected more people to vote for the pick, not gonna lie lol.

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
This.

Had my gf's brother give me his hilarious hot take that blowing it and getting the FPO the leafs could trade Matthews, keep lafreniere and use the Matthews trade to fix defensive needs.

LOL he plays a lot of online poker

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This isn't the 2015-16 season where we wanted to see the Leafs lose to get the best draft lottery odds for Auston Matthews.

I want them to defeat Columbus not only to have their chance at officially making the playoffs to win the Stanley Cup, this way Matthews, Marner, Rielly, and Nylander will know what it's like to win a playoff series at the NHL level.

Reactions: kb

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This isn't the 2015-16 season where we wanted to see the Leafs lose to get the best draft lottery odds for Auston Matthews.

I want them to defeat Columbus not only to have their chance at officially making the playoffs to win the Stanley Cup, this way Matthews, Marner, Rielly, and Nylander will know what it's like to win a playoff series at the NHL level.

Technically beating CBJ is just the play in rough. They'd actually need to win the series after that to have a playoff round victory recorded. It is also possible they do that. Young legs certainly can help in the early going.

Reactions: CincoHolio

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Technically beating CBJ is just the play in rough. They'd actually need to win the series after that to have a playoff round victory recorded. It is also possible they do that. Young legs certainly can help in the early going.
I realize that but it would be a series where they need to win 3 games to make the playoffs.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Not sure why any fan would want them to tank for a small chance at #1, it's not even a guarantee at #1 if they lose to Columbus. Have to go an a post season run somehow. I do know someone though, who at times I think has the most defeatist attitude for being a Leafs fan who is old enough to have witnessed multiple Cup wins. This person has this attitude with this post season, and every season lately (even post Matthews #1)...... "if they (players? mgmt?) think they will get their butts kicked in the next round (or say round 1 in any recent playoff year) they should just tank" - this attitude applied even 2 years (?) ago with Bozak, JVR, whoever was pending UFA......they would rather have sold any/all UFA's for picks/prospects, accepting in their mind, that the Leafs were going to lose against Boston no matter what happened.

Players/management never go into a playoff series with the attitude of "oh no, we don't have a chance..we are going to lose", and if they are thinking that, then got them off my team.

Enough with this perpetual rebuild. Teams with a chance to go all the way don't tank, they don't sell off UFA players.

Reactions: CincoHolio

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Indifferent. This isn't going to seem like real NHL playoffs. Once the game is being played, it's impossible for me to not root for my team to win the game. Even when I wanted the team to tank for a draft pick pre-Matthews, I still enjoyed when they won a game.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Curious to see where people sit on this.

Do you want to beat CBJ for the opportunity to play in round 1 or lose with a 12.5% at Lafreniere?
This is not da draft to win for us given team we got. Yes Lafreneeeee is great and would help but we need a stud on backend much more. Lets go for Cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We should be able to outduel BJ's unless tending F8cks up.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Easily try for cup.

That said, if we get spanked in the play in round by CBJ and take another 1st round exit we should do a deeper evaluation of our team composition...

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't want to see this team lose against Columbus. The 12.5% chance at Lafreniere is higher than our chances of winning five rounds of playoff hockey, but I'll still take that chance at a Stanley Cup, as irrational as it is.

Because of course rationally, it makes more sense to take the statistically more likely option, one that will in turn also enhance our odds of winning Stanley Cups in subsequent years. But emotionally...I just hate to lose, and I really want to see what this team can potentially do in another playoff run. You never know in the Stanley Cup playoffs, any team can win any year.

Well you are looking at statistics right.

Well there are really two scenarios:
1) 12.5% chance of Lafreniere. If we win, we have some kind of increased chances for 3 years (before we have to re-sign him and likely trade someone as good as him just to keep him) and a boatload of assets. If we lose, well we come out a lot worse than in scenario 2.
2) 6.5% chance of winning the Cup (which is the number I believe you said were the chances previously).

However, there are other things to consider. If this team fails to even make the playoffs, what kind of psychological impact does that have on the team? Weigh that vs. if they lose in the first round again, or make it past the first round but do not win the Cup. Even if the Leafs do not win the Cup, there is a ton of future value in just making a solid run, which the Leafs likely have a much better statistical chance of doing than winning Lafreniere (if we have a 6.5% chance of winning the Cup, then we must have a much better than 12.5% chance of making it to at least round 2).

Also, if the Leafs win the lottery, we still give up an unprotected 1st round pick in 2021. I have taken a look at 2021 and right now there are much better prospects in the late 1st round than what I have been seeing in the 2020 draft. There are no guarantees, but we have a pretty good shot at a Robertson or Sandin level prospect with a late 1st rounder in 2021.

Really, it is not as irrational as you think to say go for a Cup this year, because there are a lot of other underlying benefits that you are not really considering if we are going for it.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Sure, tank so they can have a 87.5 % chance of not selecting number 1. :sarcasm:

Just win and never, never tank, ever!!!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well you are looking at statistics right.

Well there are really two scenarios:
1) 12.5% chance of Lafreniere. If we win, we have some kind of increased chances for 3 years (before we have to re-sign him and likely trade someone as good as him just to keep him) and a boatload of assets. If we lose, well we come out a lot worse than in scenario 2.
2) 6.5% chance of winning the Cup (which is the number I believe you said were the chances previously).

However, there are other things to consider. If this team fails to even make the playoffs, what kind of psychological impact does that have on the team? Weigh that vs. if they lose in the first round again, or make it past the first round but do not win the Cup. Even if the Leafs do not win the Cup, there is a ton of future value in just making a solid run, which the Leafs likely have a much better statistical chance of doing than winning Lafreniere (if we have a 6.5% chance of winning the Cup, then we must have a much better than 12.5% chance of making it to at least round 2).

Also, if the Leafs win the lottery, we still give up an unprotected 1st round pick in 2021. I have taken a look at 2021 and right now there are much better prospects in the late 1st round than what I have been seeing in the 2020 draft. There are no guarantees, but we have a pretty good shot at a Robertson or Sandin level prospect with a late 1st rounder in 2021.

Really, it is not as irrational as you think to say go for a Cup this year, because there are a lot of other underlying benefits that you are not really considering if we are going for it.
Besides making the playoffs and having a chance to win the Stanley Cup is what the goal should always be, at least making the playoffs this year guarantee's Toronto keeps their 2021 1st round pick.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Idc how good Lefrennier is....we're a team that's already invested the most money out of anyone on 4 effing players on our roster (one of which was a former 1st overall pick)....Losing should not be an option. Would be flat out embarrassing

losing to a team with the same point total that you have isn't an upset or embarrasing. Maybe I am in the minority but its a pickem series and my eyes and I wouldn't be surprised if we won or lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad