Tennis: Wimbledon 2017

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I think it was more the "I hope to play you again so we can play a better one" comment was probably a bit ****** to hear. :laugh: Basically like "You weren't a worthy opponent and the quality sucked."

But like I said and you said (language spoken), he doesn't mean it like that. We know that.

I think someone like Cilic will appreciate his comment for what it was because he'll know that he didn't/couldn't give his best. The medical timeouts were proof of that. And if he used those timeouts for gathering himself up then he deserved Federer to ridicule him. But he was really in pain with blisters on his feet than he'll appreciate what Federer said. So all in all, it wasn't mean, it was fair.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think someone like Cilic will appreciate his comment for what it was because he'll know that he didn't/couldn't give his best. The medical timeouts were proof of that. And if he used those timeouts for gathering himself up then he deserved Federer to ridicule him. But he was really in pain with blisters on his feet than he'll appreciate what Federer said. So all in all, it wasn't mean, it was fair.
I just listened to the speeches a few minutes ago for the first time, and I don't see anything mean or controversial at all. I thought Roger put it fairly delicately actually. Cilic certainly didn't look offended afterward.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Yeah, it was in the context that Cilic wasn't at his best because of the obvious injury.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I really don't follow tennis at all, so this is an honest question from me..

Is Federer the best of all time? I know there is going to be people who disagree, but do most agree he's the GOAT? I really am curious.

I didn't even know he was still a serious thread these days and then I saw he won the tournament without even dropping a set (is that right?)? I don't know much about tennis, but that just seems absolutely insane to me, and it seems those who are actually well informed seem to think the same on here! Haha

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Is Federer the best of all time? I know there is going to be people who disagree, but do most agree he's the GOAT? I really am curious.

I didn't even know he was still a serious thread these days and then I saw he won the tournament without even dropping a set (is that right?)? I don't know much about tennis, but that just seems absolutely insane to me, and it seems those who are actually well informed seem to think the same on here! Haha
There may be a few holdouts out there somewhere but the overwhelming consensus currently is that Federer is the GOAT. If you want to get a broader view of the extent of his achievement just spend a few minutes checking this Wiki page out. His record is truly mindboggling:

"Federer's Career Achievements"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Roger_Federer

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

It's a weird argument. Federer's only detriment is that the next closest for GOAT is Nadal... who has certainly gotten the best of Federer during their careers.

I certainly think Fed is the GOAT, but I'm an avid Nadal fan in that rivalry.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Seeing his foot, he's got massive bloated blisters - I have no idea how they even got that huge with all the medical attention available to him.
In his own words "he crumbled when he realized the injury was going to keep him from winning no matter what he did, after all the work he did to get there".

Internet being internet came up with Cilic had a panic attack or some crap like that, and it took off no problem.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/...aMjhNEyvNcPOg7e3c1CBUs_GxvPNOafLU4l71URY.jpeg

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's a weird argument. Federer's only detriment is that the next closest for GOAT is Nadal... who has certainly gotten the best of Federer during their careers.

I certainly think Fed is the GOAT, but I'm an avid Nadal fan in that rivalry.
There is a huge caveat to that record, though (from Federer-Nadal wiki page):

Federer has a winning record on his best surface, grass (2–1), and on hard court (10–9) while Nadal leads on his best surface, clay (13–2). Nadal leads in Grand Slam tournament matches (9–3), with five of these wins coming on the clay courts of Roland Garros.

What this "dominance" actually underscores is Nadal's unquestioned status as clay court GOAT. As does each French Open Championship that he continues to add to his total of GS titles.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
You also have to look at Roger's number of appearances in quarters and semis at majors. That gets overlooked with all his other accomplishments.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
50 quarterfinals, 42 semis, 29 finals, 19 GS titles. Plus dozens of other primo accolades such as only player to win 3 of the GSs at least five times, most weeks total and most consecutive weeks at #1 and on and on and on.

Here is the caption on top of a huge picture of Roger on the front page of The Globe and Mail today:

"Federer has been the best player in the history of tennis for ages, but on Sunday he joined the highest rank. After winning an eighth Wimbledon title and a 19th major overall at the unlikely age of 35, the Swiss must now be considered among the greatest athletes of any sort in history."--Cathal Kelly, Globe Sports

Kelly is not a sportswriter given to hyperbole, by the way.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
50 quarterfinals, 42 semis, 29 finals, 19 GS titles. Plus dozens of other primo accolades such as only player to win 3 of the GSs at least five times, most weeks total and most consecutive weeks at #1 and on and on and on.

Here is the caption on top of a huge picture of Roger on the front page of The Globe and Mail today:

"Federer has been the best player in the history of tennis for ages, but on Sunday he joined the highest rank. After winning an eighth Wimbledon title and a 19th major overall at the unlikely age of 35, the Swiss must now be considered among the greatest athletes of any sort in history."--Cathal Kelly, Globe Sports

Kelly is not a sportswriter given to hyperbole, by the way.

I think anyone on the fence surely had to be convinced that he's the GOAT after what he has done this season.

He's won 2 slams and 5 titles already at 35 with the bonus of beating Nadal at the biggest stage and then a couple more times for good measure. He also has a good chance to become the oldest #1 ranked player ever this season.

When you look at the domination over his peers (look at what he did to Hewitt in the US Open Final [6-0,7-6,6-0]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRL54bUveCk), the consistency and add the longevity he's had, it's hard to argue that he isn't the best player in history.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Late to the party as I was really busy this past weekend. Glad I witnessed history on live TV though because at Federer's age you never know which major title will be his last.

HFBoards needs a GOAT icon.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
I think if you suggested that Federer would win one (let alone two!) slams in 2017, you'd get institutionalized. My hats off to him and his perseverance, I think it's clear at this point that he is playing for the love of the game. He could have quit anytime during the 5 years where he didn't win a slam and was legitimately struggling, but he kept at it.

I really think this year elevates him to legendary level, if only because of the unlikely comeback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad