Tennis: Wimbledon 2017

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I feel like this is a wide open field.

If I had to pick a favorite right now it would be Federer but can he win 2 majors this year at the age of 35?

Murray and Djokovic are not in good form at all but they could always turn it on. Nadal coming off a RG title but I don't see him as a title threat here on grass.

I'm kinda thinking we see a first time Wimbledon winner this year or maybe even a first time major winner!

Cilic is my darkhorse pick. And maybe Dimitrov breaks through?

Raonic was a finalist last year, can he finally win a major?

On the Women's side...no Serena, no Maria. Kvitova might be a good bet here as she is rounding into form. Kerber lost to Serena last year but she's been awful this year.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Decent day in Men's qualifying for the Canadians. Polanksy and Diez were winners while Dancevic lost.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Seeds:

GENTLEMEN'S SINGLES

1 MURRAY, Andy (GBR)

2 DJOKOVIC, Novak (SRB)

3 FEDERER, Roger (SUI)

4 NADAL, Rafael (ESP)

5 WAWRINKA, Stan (SUI)

6 RAONIC, Milos (CAN)

7 CILIC, Marin (CRO)

8 THIEM, Dominic (AUT)

9 NISHIKORI, Kei (JPN)

10 ZVEREV, Alexander (GER)

11 BERDYCH, Tomas (CZE)

12 TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried (FRA)

13 DIMITROV, Grigor (BUL)

14 POUILLE, Lucas (FRA)

15 MONFILS, Gael (FRA)

16 MULLER, Gilles (LUX)

17 SOCK, Jack (USA)

18 BAUTISTA AGUT, Roberto (ESP)

19 LOPEZ, Feliciano (ESP)

20 KYRGIOS, Nick (AUS)

21 KARLOVIC, Ivo (CRO)

22 GASQUET, Richard (FRA)

23 ISNER, John (USA)

24 QUERREY, Sam (USA)

25 RAMOS-VINOLAS, Albert (ESP)

26 JOHNSON, Steve (USA)

27 CUEVAS, Pablo (URU)

28 ZVEREV, Mischa (GER)

29 FOGNINI, Fabio (ITA)

30 DEL POTRO, Juan Martin (ARG)

31 KHACHANOV, Karen (RUS)

32 LORENZI, Paolo (ITA)

1 KERBER, Angelique (GER)

2 HALEP, Simona (ROU)

3 PLISKOVA, Karolina (CZE)

4 SVITOLINA, Elina (UKR)

5 WOZNIACKI, Caroline (DEN)

6 KONTA, Johanna (GBR)

7 KUZNETSOVA, Svetlana (RUS)

8 CIBULKOVA, Dominika (SVK)

9 RADWANSKA, Agnieszka (POL)

10 WILLIAMS, Venus (USA)

11 KVITOVA, Petra (CZE)

12 MLADENOVIC, Kristina (FRA)

13 OSTAPENKO, Jelena (LAT)

14 MUGURUZA, Garbine (ESP)

15 VESNINA, Elena (RUS)

16 PAVLYUCHENKOVA, Anastasia (RUS)

17 KEYS, Madison (USA)

18 SEVASTOVA, Anastasija (LAT)

19 BACSINSZKY, Timea (SUI)

20 GAVRILOVA, Daria (AUS)

21 GARCIA, Caroline (FRA)

22 STRYCOVA, Barbora (CZE)

23 BERTENS, Kiki (NED)

24 VANDEWEGHE, Coco (USA)

25 SUAREZ NAVARRO, Carla (ESP)

26 LUCIC-BARONI, Mirjana (CRO)

27 KONJUH, Ana (CRO)

28 DAVIS, Lauren (USA)

29 KASATKINA, Daria (RUS)

30 ZHANG, Shuai (CHN)

31 VINCI, Roberta (ITA)

32 SAFAROVA, Lucie (CZE)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I swear I am not drunk, but the women's second ten seeds look more dangerous than the first ten to me.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I swear I am not drunk, but the women's second ten seeds look more dangerous than the first ten to me.

:laugh:

I don't think you're far off on that statement. If you are betting money I think it's safer to pick someone from the higher group.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Another good day for Canadians in qualifying. Both ladies cruise in thier first round. Polansky is into the final round and Diez is in the 3rd set and will finish his second round tomorrow.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Diez lost his 2nd round qualifying match, both ladies have won their first set, Abanda lost her second set but is up a break in the 3rd. Andreescu is on serve in the later stages of the 2nd set.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Abanda and Adreescu have won and are into the final round, Polansky is down a set and a break. Polansky ended up getting then break back, then broke again to take the 2nd set 6-4. Heading to the 3rd set now. Polansky takes the 3rd set 6-3, going into a 4th now. Not sure why but the final round of qualifying is a BO5. We're going 5 as Travaglia took the 4th set 6-4. Polansky loses in 5. 4-6 6-4 6-3 4-6 4-6

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
World #855 Alexander Ward made it through qualifying. Really took advantage of his wildcard.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Draw is out:

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/draws/index.html?event=MS

Big 4 all have a fair even draw. Potential upsets but nothing too concerning. But you never know...

Pospisil draws Thiem in the first round. On paper it seems like a bad draw but Thiem on grass this year hasn't been pretty. Might be a good chance for Vasek there.

Raonic landed in Federer's quarter. Hopefully we'll get a rematch there.

Shapovalov draws Janowicz. If Denis plays well he should have a good shot of getting through.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Pospisil and Shapovalov both got some pretty decent draws. If Pospisil can make it past Thiem I think he has a good shot at reaching R16. Shapovalov has some intriuging matchups, inclusing a potential rematch with Kyrigos in the 3rd Round.

Raonic has a challenging draw. Two decent grass courters early on in Struff and Mahut, Zverev in R16, Federer in the QFs. He is going to have a very hard time defending his points from last year, especially given his recent form.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Abanda just qualified!

Andreescu up a set right now early in the second.

Bianca also qualifies!

First Wimbledon main draw for both young ladies!

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
General question: Who has the toughest draw?

First five rounds for the Big Four:

Nadal

Milman
Young
Khachanov
Muller/Karlovic
Cilic

Murray

Bublik
Brown/Sousa
Fognini
Pouille/Krygios
Wawrinka

Federer

Dolgopov
Lajovic
M. Zverev
Dimitrov
Raonic/A Zverev

Djokovic

Klizan
Escobedo
Del Potro
Monfils
Thiem

I'd rate them:

Djokovic
Murray
Federer
Nadal

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'd say you got it about right, but in all honesty it seems fairly even.
I'd agree for the most part, though that possible run of Del Potro, Monfils, Thiem for Nole looks a little scarier than the rest for me. Nadal draws a potential match up with Muller that could be very interesting given the way Muller has been playing on grass lately (keeping in mind that Rafa has only gotten as far as the 4th round once since 2011). Murray gets Stan in the quarters--that's tough. But I don't see a real threat to Fed until the semis. I think that, relatively speaking, Federer and Djokovic being in the same half, the odds favour Roger, at least on paper. In the other half I'd take Murray or Wawrinka to emerge. So the final would be Federer versus Murray/Wawrinka. As we know, many a slip between the cup and the lip, though.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I'd say you got it about right, but in all honesty it seems fairly even.

Fairly even, except for Rafa, right? He may not lose a set in his quarter, depending on his own form.

Fed's quarter looks pretty pedestrian until the later rounds, too.

Novak and Murray have the tougher early rounds on paper. Djokovic has the toughest run from start to finish, IMO.

Wouldn't shock me at all to see an all big four semi-final.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Sadly Nole will not go anywhere, his head is still elsewhere.

Federer will dominate this Wimbledon, I'd be extremely surprised if he doesn't win, his shape is excellent to say the least.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know most of y'all are Canadians, so you don't GAF, but I'm hoping for a better tournament from the Americans than the French Open, which was pretty much a disaster.

Sock should definitely do much better here. He lost in the first round at Roland Garros after a pretty good year so far. Tiafoe, Donaldson and Escobedo maybe could surprise and win a few matches. Not thrilled that Fritz has to play Isner first round, but at least he qualified for the main draw, he had taken off a few months. I'm hoping he can start playing some nice tennis. He's really struggled the last year or so with his tennis. Keys has had a very disappointing year. A lot of it is coming back from wrist surgery and then she recently had another wrist surgery, but she's not played well. She's capable of winning the tournament if she plays well and this is a good surface for her, but her form is not the best. Hasn't played since her last surgery. I think Bellis could definitely surprise. She's zoomed up the rankings, and should be top 20 before you know it. She may actually be the next great American tennis player, male or female. And then there are a bunch of others like Isner, Johnson, Querrey, Davis, Vandeweghe who could win a few rounds, maybe even get to the Round of 16 or QF's if they have really good events, but the career upside is limited. Not the biggest fan of either Williams sister, Serena obviously isn't in this event, Venus actually might have the best chance of any American to win this event.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad