GDT: Willy Wonka and the hockey game, Oilers @ Devils 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
From the 32 thoughts podcast today

''They hired Travis Green in the offseason, some people feel that's a coach in waiting. So they have some kind of succession plan''/

I just shat myself.

Just keep Ruff if that's the plan and hire a REAL head coach next year. And not one of the worst of the last decade.

Imagine thinking Travis Green is an upgrade to Brunette. That's a fireable offense.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Imagine thinking Travis Green is an upgrade to Brunette. That's a fireable offense.
Travis Green isn't an upgrade to Ruff, nor any coach we've had since John MacLean.

And he's only an upgrade over him because who the f*** isn't? He's in a class of his own.

I don't even think Travis Green is an upgrade to Adam Oates, but it's pretty damn close. Oates is probably no better.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I'm a huge Bruno fan and wanted us to make him the HC. But what was he really responsible for last season? Certainly not defense and goaltending. Also big no for Travis Green from me too, I'd fire the entire staff and try to get someone like Berube or someone outside the old boys' club.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm a huge Bruno fan and wanted us to make him the HC. But what was he really responsible for last season? Certainly not defense and goaltending. Also big no for Travis Green from me too, I'd fire the entire staff and try to get someone like Berube or someone outside the old boys' club.
I don’t think Berube is good. I think people only want him because he won a cup, and as a midseason replacement (he was already an assistant on that staff though) at that.

I’d rather Evason out of the guys on the market.

But again……Evason is the idiot that kept making Fleury happen over Gustavsson up in Minnesota. All that shit got cut out immediately once Hynes took over.

I’m pretty sure Fleury has only played one game that wasn’t part of a back to back set since Hynes took over.

One thing about Hynes, he knows what goalie to play. If it weren’t for Hynes, Saros wouldn’t have usurped Rinne when he did. And Kinkaid would have never been allowed to play over Schneider in 2018.

Reactions: ninetyeight

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
pretty sure that's actually what he was supposed to do. Haula should've guarded the net. That's their system :)
That's probably true. And in the end three guys went towards the puck carrier behind the goal and nobody was in front. Nobody except the wrong McLeod of course.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not matter the coach, we need a goaltender upgrade, no question about it.
Vitek is a lost cause here. He won’t ever be good here again. Someone will try to contradict this when he has a good 5-10 game stretch and he’s due for a good 5-10 game stretch just based off luck with how horrible he’s played.

He got some of that luck in the Flyers game where he looked reallllyyyyyyy shaky in the 1st period with almost flubbing two different routine dump ins. He looked completely awful in that game, not even on the goals against him, but when goals weren’t being scored on him. He cleaned up by the 3rd period though.

He’s a lost cause here. He’s gotta be a cap dump in the offseason (Chicago?) or used to acquire another goalie.

I don’t have much of an opinion on Schmid long term, one way or the other. Right now he’s definitely looked less bad than Vitek, albeit in far fewer games played.

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Considering what he's doing with a absurdly average Nashville team, yes

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Considering what he's doing with a absurdly average Nashville team, yes
What, exactly is he doing? 19-14 with a team that's always been a borderline playoff team at worst and a mid-tier contender at best? They've had a culture of at least being competitive (in part due to usually developing very good-elite goalies) and Brunette hasn't done diddly to up their chances of winning a Cup to this point. People talk about him as if Nashville is 25-6 or as if they've been losing for the last decade but then you guys did the same thing in Florida when he won with a team that was already set to win and had gone 7-0 to start the season before he ever coached a game.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
For all the complaining about letting Brunette go, short of saying "thanks for the franchise best regular season Lindy, now piss off" what was the option to keeping Brunette? Tell him no, he can't interview for a head coaching gig elsewhere? I'm also not sure our defensive issues would be any better since it seems he's more of an offensive guy (Nashville has gone from 27th to 11th in goals for). Although maybe we could outscore our defense/goaltending woes more?

It's weird, we may have actually been better off having this season last year so they could have just walked away from Ruff, assuming he's the problem. If we do fire him and it doesn't wake the players up, we may be in bigger trouble than coaching.

Reactions: NJDevs26

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If they wanted to make Brunette the head coach as badly as fans wanted him to be the head coach, they would have just made him the head coach in the 2022 offseason. That's why all the succession talk was silly, you didn't need to go through the charade of a succession plan - Lindy was only on a one year plus team option deal at that point and clearly the fans wouldn't have said boo about a change at that point given the reaction Lindy got at the home opener lol

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bahl sucks. 100% done with him. Send him to f***ing Brampton for future considerations.
He's okay, but I'm skeptical he's a long term defenseman here. I was always skeptical he would be, just due to the numbers game and the fact that he doesn't have the upside of any of the other young D.

But then when Muk got traded, there was a bit more of a path for him to be here long term.

With Casey emerging, Hughes and Nemec already here for now and the future, Siegenthaler, Marino and Hamilton all signed for close to a handful of years after this, where is the spot for Bahl full time in a year or two? And that's also not accounting for the possibility that we acquire another defenseman from some other organization in the next couple of years.

He's useful as long as he's cheap, but I wouldn't really wanna pay him much more than what he's making now. He's fine depth at his current salary, but I think odds were always against him being a long term piece here.

I'll give him this much. He's coming up on 100 games played here/the NHL. He has even more than that with the playoffs. I never thought he'd see 100 games here with the NHL team about 1.5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino