Willing or unwilling to trade Zadorov in a hypothetical ROR trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Nope; we're way too thin on the left side already. We have an abundance of centers on the come up(Girgs, Larsson, Eichel, Reinhart); they're only a couple years away from being impact players. Then factor in that RoR may not even re-sign with us, and it's an easy 'no' for me. I'd rather trade for a center that won't cost a premiere asset or just sign one from the FA pool.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
B) Buffalo is interested in bringing him in. He does seem to fit the description of what Murray talked about in bringing another player in. So, I'll go ahead and assume that Buffalo IS interested, especially considering Bob M's comments about him and Buffalo earlier this year

I think both LeBrun and Dreger confirmed Murray's interest in O'Reilly and agreed with the odds of Buffalo trying to trade for him. I think the notion that Buffalo is interested is more than assumption - obviously, Murray can't openly discuss interest in players under contract to another team.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Not willing. At that cost, how badly do we actually need another center though, assuming eichel and reinhardt are completely NHL ready by next year?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I think both LeBrun and Dreger confirmed Murray's interest in O'Reilly and agreed with the odds of Buffalo trying to trade for him. I think the notion that Buffalo is interested is more than assumption - obviously, Murray can't openly discuss interest in players under contract to another team.

He almost did at one of his TDL pressers. He made an ever so thinly veiled reference. Whatever happens, I have total confidence Murray is kicking that tire.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I voted unwilling to two primary reasons, and I am certain others have said the same thing.

1. ROR contract situation. If you guarantee me he signs a 5 years 32.5M extension with the team then I'd definitely lean towards yes, make the deal. However, it seems as if the Avs aren't willing to let you talk with him until after a deal.

2. I am not willing to give up on the potential of Zadarov at this stage. Yes, he's immature but come on he was a 19 year old kid, doing stupid things. He hasn't done anything so bad that we need to give up. 6-5, mobile defensemen do not grow on trees, especially ones with a physical side to their game. Is Macabe the safer prospect at this point, yes. Does RR have a higher ceiling, most definitely, but come on, what a defensive copr you could have if he reaches the potential. RR and NZ could be out version of Seabrooke and Keith.

I'd be willing to trade the 21, 31 and another piece but I'd prefer to keep NZ and JM at this stage and see what we get.

Others disagree and I totally get it, ROR could be a great piece to move these guys forward faster, but I don't think we need to make this type of move yet.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
I'm not sure if his immaturity issues are overblown, but if it's is an actual issue, then I would be willing to trade him.

Murray has a better idea on the situation, and I haven't had any qualms with his previous moves. I would love me some ROR on the Sabres.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What could backfire on the Avs? ...

-- Sabres offer NYI 1st and Bailey for ROR.

-- Avs say they want the 1st and Zadorov.

-- Sabres say they would need assurances from ROR.

-- Avs agree to allow it.

-- ROR makes it clear to Buffalo managment that he has no desire to re-up in Buffalo. He may make it clear that he intends to go to Free Agency.

-- Knowing this. Buffalo not only withdraws their 1st and Zadorov offer .. they withdraw their 1st and Bailey offer.

Word gets out ROR plans to go to UFA or will only accept a trade to team X.

Couple things

1) He doesn't have a NTC, so how exactly can he only accept a trade to team X? He has no say in the matter. If a team wants to acquire him they can.

2) You seem to have this mistaken assumption that teams wouldn't want to trade for him if they could only have him for 1 year. There are teams that would very much trade for him for one year. We are likely one of them.

You're trying way too hard to paint the most negative light possible on any ROR trade scenario and talks.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Couple things

1) He doesn't have a NTC, so how exactly can he only accept a trade to team X? He has no say in the matter. If a team wants to acquire him they can.

2) You seem to have this mistaken assumption that teams wouldn't want to trade for him if they could only have him for 1 year. There are teams that would very much trade for him for one year. We are likely one of them.

You're trying way too hard to paint the most negative light possible on any ROR trade scenario and talks.

I gave the reasons why the Avs would not allow a team to talk to him because it would drive his value down if those are indeed his intentions. Trading for him for one year is possible but again.. Avs will want highest return possible.

I'm not trying hard to do anything this is all common sense.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just out of curiosity, would it make you guys more or less willing to pull the trigger if trade included Duncan Siemens for one of your winger prospects?

I'm a fan of Dunk's and was really happy with his cameo this past season; but Roykic have drafted Bigras and Geertsen on the left side, who they love, and would hypothetically be adding Zadorov in this trade. Whereas Siemens is a hold over from the previous regime. So it would seem like Dunk may not have a spot in the long term plans for Roykic if this trade were to happen.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Just out of curiosity, would it make you guys more or less willing to pull the trigger if trade included Duncan Siemens for one of your winger prospects?

I'm a fan of Dunk's and was really happy with his cameo this past season; but Roykic have drafted Bigras and Geertsen on the left side, who they love, and would hypothetically be adding Zadorov in this trade. Whereas Siemens is a hold over from the previous regime. So it would seem like Dunk may not have a spot in the long term plans for Roykic if this trade were to happen.

It wouldn't change a thing. No interest in Siemens for Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'd be willing to give up Zads on the following conditions:

1. ROR is signed to an extension

2. Buffalo adds as UFA/trade at least 2 LHD--one being in that 21-25 yr old range

3. They use at least one of the picks (21, 31,51) on a LHD

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I gave the reasons why the Avs would not allow a team to talk to him because it would drive his value down if those are indeed his intentions. Trading for him for one year is possible but again.. Avs will want highest return possible.

I'm not trying hard to do anything this is all common sense.

kinda like how UFO believers think its common sense that they keep alien bodies at fort knox?

Group A: teams that wants ROR long term, will pay highest price for him, requires the ability to discuss contracts ahead of making a deal because NO ONE will give up Col's asking price for an unsigned ROR

Group B: teams that want a rental ROR for a playoff run, will pay their price regardless of him signing or not

Last edited:

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
No, I'd rather Keep Zadorov. Besides, ROR just screams "I'm leaving for free agency unless I get 1st line center money". He's not a 1st, or probably 2nd line center when this team is ready to compete.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I really hope they somewhat stay the course this offseason and continue to stockpile young assets to use in a future splashy move like the O'Reilly move we're talking about. Zadorov especially shouldn't be on the table. Keeping this great pool of prospects and young players and bringing Eichel, Kylington/Zboril/Roy (at 21), and someone like Bracco (at 31) into the mix puts this team in just as good of a position to make some win-now moves next offseason.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
kinda like how UFO believers think its common sense that they keep alien bodies at fort knox?

Group A: teams that wants ROR long term, will pay highest price for him, requires the ability to discuss contracts ahead of making a deal because NO ONE will give up Col's asking price for an unsigned ROR

Group B: teams that want a rental ROR for a playoff run, will pay their price regardless of him signing or not

Yeah... it's exactly like that.. :rolleyes:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nah.

I think what appeals to me most about Zadorov down the line is that he will always be serviceable and solid, yet never out price himself or get a contract he doesn't deserve. A safe top four option who gets paid like someone on the lower rung but plays on the higher rung... The "tough to quantify"

SabresBills2012

Apr 27, 2012
One for one no extras on the Sabres end , good old fashion hockey trade

Then I'd use the 21st pick to either land Saad or Tiffoli(?SP)

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
If we make a deal around Zadorov for ROR we start to look a lot like the oilers....just saying...

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
If we make a deal around Zadorov for ROR we start to look a lot like the oilers....just saying...

this isn't even close to true actually

i'm torn. zadorov is a very intriguing prospect for obvious reasons, but a player like ROR fits this stage of the sabres' rebuild absolutely perfectly. he's a flexible young vet who allows you to insulate your young Cs for a season or two, would make a great top 6 winger when it comes time to pass the torch, and plays a smart game that's going to still be effective five-six years down the road.

i lean towards willing, but i understand why others are not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad