Willing or unwilling to trade Zadorov in a hypothetical ROR trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Not at this time. Are 90 goals in 5 1/2 years that great? The trade would weaken a spot we are already weak at but not add the power forward/sniper at RW that we need.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm willing to give up alot in a deal for ROR....

I will not trade these pieces.

1) Eichel
2) Reinhart
3) Risto
4) Zadorov
5) Girgensons
6) Kane
7) Bogosian

Iffy on Ennis.

Anyone and anything else is up for grabs.

Karate Johnson*

I am willing because Zadorov has red flags. Obviously he's young, and he could turn out to be very good, but to me O'Reilly is a special player that you don't get a crack at. His skill set would fit so well with what we have.

Give me the guy who has proven himself, because there is a chance Zads washes out if he can't keep his head on straight

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
It's tough to say, because we could look like geniuses or it could go very badly. We could do the trade and Zadorov fizzles out and we look great, or, we trade him and he blossoms and turns into a dynamic #1/2 hulking defensemen and things don't look all that good. I guess it comes down to whether you are willing to take that chance or not.

One factor I consider is that I think we will miss the playoffs next year, regardless of being much improved. With the new screwed up lottery we could have another top 3 pick. Chychrun is better than Ekblad at the same age, and if he continues on his current trajectory, he's the next Doughty. Even if we don't win the lottery, top 14 defensemen generally pan out pretty well.

Optimally, I'd prefer to put another package together to get ROR, not including Zadorov. Now, we don't really know whether that is really feasible or not, because we don't know what return COL is looking for. It may be that they want Zadorov and won't accept less. But if we could spin McCabe +, then I would be very interested. Overall I'm still pretty split, in terms of the poll.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Its one of those circumstances where I wanna say no because thats how I feel, but if the trade went through for Zads and Grigs or whatever I prolly wouldnt really complain at least not until/unless ROR walked for nothing.

I like ROR alot and would prolly do Zads for him but Im not willing to pay ROR 7 mill a year when all is said and done so to me thats the sticking point.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I really want ROR, but I feel Zadorov going the other way in a package is way too much.

NYI 1st
Grigorenko
Foligno

This is a huge package, I know they're desperate for LD, but does another team really top this kind of offer?

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Probably not but if this situation is a trade occurring once the new league season starts and we are able to sign him to an extension before finalizing the trade then it's worth a discussion.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Chances The Avs give permission for teams to talk to ROR's camp are slim.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Chances The Avs give permission for teams to talk to ROR's camp are slim.
Why not? It would make him more valuable. Something like this would happen after July 1st though so any 2015 picks are out the window.

If the Avs speak to RoR after July 1st and get the impression he's a goner they would be stupid to not allow teams to talk to his agent. Even if they were afraid a team could get a sense where RoR would prefer to go in 2016 and choose to just wait it out I doubt many teams would risk waiting and at the very least the Avs still get the same value for him they would have gotten prior.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I always dislike talking about ROR because his value, and if I would trade for him, are all based on negotiations that we have no clue about. We can speak with him before he's traded to us. It all depends on if we get a positive vibe from him when negotiating.

Am I trading Zads for 1 yr of ROR? I hope I dont have to answer that .

What If he says that he would lean toward signing with us for x million dollars/year and we are willing to give him x+1 million/year? Then you do the trade.

It all depends on what he wants to do when talking to him.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why not? It would make him more valuable. Something like this would happen after July 1st though so any 2015 picks are out the window.

If the Avs speak to RoR after July 1st and get the impression he's a goner they would be stupid to not allow teams to talk to his agent. Even if they were afraid a team could get a sense where RoR would prefer to go in 2016 and choose to just wait it out I doubt many teams would risk waiting and at the very least the Avs still get the same value for him they would have gotten prior.

Because it's essentially giving him a NTC.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I would only trade Zadorov if it was the tipping point between succeeding or failing to land an impact young player like O'Reilly, Toffoli or Gibson. As the saying goes, you have to give up quality if you want quality back. I think the Sabres could absorb the loss of Zadorov with McCabe.

In any other scenario, I would keep him.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Trading Zads does has an appetizing upside for me in the sense that it bumps McCabe up who I think is drastically underrated and far to easily tossed into proposals around these parts though...

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Not surprised to see a pretty even split so far. I'm on the "not" side of the fence, though. The risk that O'Reilly leaves + the upside in keeping Zadorov is too much for me. Plus, I don't think it makes much sense positionally. We've got a better and deeper group of young Cs and LWs than LHD even without making that trade.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
agree with a lot of the opposed

ROR will be incredibly expensive in assets and cap hit. I wouldn't move Zadorov for a winger and that's what ROR will be long term on this team. Only way I go for a Zadorov trade is if Reinhart is being moved to make room for ROR as the long term 2c.

Because it's essentially giving him a NTC.

disagree, only way Avs are getting top dollar for ROR is if they can guarantee him signing with the new club, only way that happens is if they let him talk

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
It's really tough for me to decide.

I'm usually a proponent of getting the best player in trades. ROR would absolutely be the best player in such a trade... now.

Will he be the best player once Zad develops more in a few years? That's really tough for me to decide. At his absolutely potential, Zads would edge ROR. But what's the chance of him reaching that?

I wouldn't want to have to make this decision.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
agree with a lot of the opposed

ROR will be incredibly expensive in assets and cap hit. I wouldn't move Zadorov for a winger and that's what ROR will be long term on this team. Only way I go for a Zadorov trade is if Reinhart is being moved to make room for ROR as the long term 2c.

disagree, only way Avs are getting top dollar for ROR is if they can guarantee him signing with the new club, only way that happens is if they let him talk

And if they let him talk to teams and he doesn't give teams assurances ..the Avs are hurting themselves.

Teams rarely give permission to other teams to talk to their players for this exact reason.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
And if they let him talk to teams and he doesn't give teams assurances ..the Avs are hurting themselves.

Teams rarely give permission to other teams to talk to their players for this exact reason.

how are the Avs hurting themselves? if ROR says he is going to be a FA then all Col gets is rental value, if Col doesn't let him talk to anyone then they trade him at rental value, if he agree to resign prior to the trade they get max value

and when dealing with players of this value teams have and will continue to give teams permission to talk

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
how are the Avs hurting themselves? if ROR says he is going to be a FA then all Col gets is rental value, if Col doesn't let him talk to anyone then they trade him at rental value, if he agree to resign prior to the trade they get max value

and when dealing with players of this value teams have and will continue to give teams permission to talk

I don't believe that. If teams are not allowed to talk to him they will get a higher return than a typical "rental" return. Teams will think they have a chance. If you remove all doubt ... they'll get scraps for him. Not even what you see on Trade Deadline deals ... they'll get a Vanek return.. like SNow got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad