Willing or unwilling to trade Zadorov in a hypothetical ROR trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
To me, the question marks around long term viability make this notion impossible. Long term, Z will most likely be solid top 4 material, ROR MAY go to FA but will most likely be a very high paid, yet very effective, winger. The questions about the 16/17 season are too much for me to pay that price. I'm out.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
To me, the question marks around long term viability make this notion impossible. Long term, Z will most likely be solid top 4 material, ROR MAY go to FA but will most likely be a very high paid, yet very effective, winger. The questions about the 16/17 season are too much for me to pay that price. I'm out.

Fair points

One thing I've been wondering for awhile now is if it would even require a Zads to get ROR. I say this because the Avs will have lost a top center two years in a row (Stastny last summer) if they trade ROR. I would argue they have holes everywhere in their lineup and a package with offense prospects might be as appealing to them. A Larsson, 21st + type of deal.

Someone more in the know about their prospects can set me straight if I'm off base. But they seem to have a lot of needs organizational to me.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I don't see the need right now. Wait and see how Risto, Zadorov, Pysk turn out before we move any of them.

Right now we 0 #1 defencemen, we have hope for these 3 though. Too early to trade.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Fair points

One thing I've been wondering for awhile now is if it would even require a Zads to get ROR. I say this because the Avs will have lost a top center two years in a row (Stastny last summer) if they trade ROR. I would argue they have holes everywhere in their lineup and a package with offense prospects might be as appealing to them. A Larsson, 21st + type of deal.

Someone more in the know about their prospects can set me straight if I'm off base. But they seem to have a lot of needs organizational to me.

Yes. Thank you. Ive heard their need for a C in a few threads. Im an advocate of keeping Grigs around but if a deal for ROR could be around him instead of Z, that would be ideal for me. Jame might have something to say about Larson lol but im gladly wrong about his development. Either way, i think you're right, if they can pull off consolidating forward depth for a quality piece, im all about that ****.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not to pry but figured it might be useful:

The Avs need future top 6 wingers, especially if ROR leaves (in which case they also need someone who can step into a top 6 C role until MacK is ready). The prospect pool is strongest on D and in net with a number of bottom/middle 6 forward prospects with a good shot at making some impact (Everberg, Rendulic, Nantel, Magyar, Henley being the closest or most interesting names); but Bleackley is the only safe top 6 guy, and he may end up a 3C just because he's more dynamic down the middle than on the wing...to this point. Moving forward the team will have to replace Iginla, Tanguay and maybe ROR in the top 6. Which is why the fanbase expects the team to select a forward at #10 to join Bleackley as top 6 prospects they can rely on. Lawson Crouse in particular matches absolutely everything Roy has said he's looking to add and if he somehow fell to #10 Roy would run down to submit his pick.

Defensively the team needs a LHD who will be able to play with EJ or Barrie by season's end, really one for each, but that is unreasonable and our prospects should fill one of those jobs in the next 2-3 years so if one of them has to get by with just a Hejda type, that's not the end of the world. Both Bigras and Siemens will be pushing to take an NHL job in the next year, with the other likely having to wait until the following season to also make the jump. And Geertsen and Wood are big skilled projects who had very strong seasons and have 4/5 potential down the line, Wood being the more skilled offensively while Geertsen is just mean and has learned to use his heavy slapper and breakout pass effectively.

But the LHDs next year are a mess. Under contract they have Holden and Stuart who combine to form a mediocre third pairing when Holden isn't trying to convince the coaches to play him as a forward, Stuart's actually a good PKer, but meh 5on5; and Old Jan Hejda has expressed interest in coming back. The team are expected to hit FA hard for an EJ-partner if they can keep ROR (my gut says Oduya would be their man), but if not, they're going to look for a young LHD in that trade and instead look to UFA to find a Center to fill ROR's shoes on the Landeskog - O'Reilly - MacKinnon line until MacK is ready for full time C duties and that UFA slides down to the 3rd line.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Fair points

I'm not a huge fan of Zadorov and a 1st for ROR and Larsson, 1st, and a prospects stinks even more to me.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Investing lots of resources in highly drafted forwards while hurting your defense and neglecting the goaltender position. What team does that sound like? Edmonton.

Trading Zadorov for O'Reilly would only be one of those things. It does not necessitate ignoring the goaltender position, or really have any relation to how much attention is paid there whatsoever. Furthermore, O'Reilly was a second round pick. You're reaching.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Trading Zadorov for O'Reilly would only be one of those things. It does not necessitate ignoring the goaltender position, or really have any relation to how much attention is paid there whatsoever. Furthermore, O'Reilly was a second round pick. You're reaching.

If we trade Zadorov, we will only have one really good defensive prospect, and nobody to play on the left side. It hurts more then it helps considering our current center depth. We already have Girgensons we don't need O'Reilly.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

True. But it does set us up for a true cap crunch of too much money invested in forwards (especially on the wings). That'll give us Moulson, Ennis, Kane, O'Reilly, and probably Girgensons as all big longterm investments on the wing. Not exactly the best allocation of scarce cap space if you believe in building down the middle. Factor in that you're giving up our best LHD prospect, and I certainly see where he's coming from.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Jack - Samson - Zemgus.

Unless RoR suddenly became a top 6 RW im not interested.
Not sure I understand this. RoR is the player we hope Reinhart some day becomes. If you can pick up a player of his caliber the few times they're ever available you do it. Regardless of what you may have in a few years.

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
I'm not against trading Z or Grigs or the 21st. But I feel it will take all 3+. That seems steep for a team that has plenty of C depth. ROR is a fine player, but it will cost a steep ransom to fetch him.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium
Not sure I understand this. RoR is the player we hope Reinhart some day becomes. If you can pick up a player of his caliber the few times they're ever available you do it. Regardless of what you may have in a few years.

We have enough C/LW we really don't need RoR, we need a top 6 RW and a top 4 LHD. That last spot will hopefully be filled by sekera.

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA

No, we hope Reinhart is more like Toews. Girgensons compares very favorably to ROR. That makes acquiring him non-essential.

Again, great player who isn't worth what his current team is asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad