Kings News: Willie Mitchell not Returning

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
Good move by the Kings, perfect time to transition a young d-man into the team for less $$$ Muzzin, Martinez, Doughty and Voynov are all vets now and can handle the load.

Not sure who's in your pipeline though, McNabb?

Alisa

Quickie fangirl
Oct 10, 2010
Orange County, Ca
I understand why we have to let him go, and was prepared for this, but also was secretly hoping we found a way to work another year out. Mitchell has been a solid and huge part of our top of the league defense, he will be missed and will make a huge difference wherever he lands. Personally, he's such a class act with a fantastic sense of humor. Even on another team, I couldn't wish against him if I tried.

Time to trust in that DL magic that someone will step up and fill the role.

3fa30a06f82c04b0f731420d2cbca8b18535b71c13ac5f45204fc4e95496210a.jpg

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
I saw somewhere that the Kings finished the season with the 5th youngest average age but that doesn't sound right. I found this but it includes all players under contract (I believe):

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams?year=2015

We're pretty solid in the middle there.

I would rather see the median rather than the average though. I believe that would be more useful information since a couple outliers here and there can paint a pretty inaccurate picture of the team age when just looking at the average.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Thanks for the good years you gave us WM. Good luck to you until you play the Kings, then you can have a bad turnover day. If you sign in the west may you never win another playoff series. Go Kings Go

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Awww, I will really miss him. I figured he was done when Greene signed for 4 years but like most everyone else, I'll remember him fondly.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
I wonder if Willie knew before hand. He took quite the lap with the Cup that night, the longest of anybody.

No question. If it was the consensus here, then folks with actual money and careers at stake would be able to read the tea leaves, too.

Recall when Mitchell was asked a couple years back when he was asked why he resigned in LA, which was a bubble team then...

"I want to win the Cup."

Shame there's no room. Tough business!

Ryan120420

Dec 2, 2010
^ Lets be honest, the only reason he signed here is because no other team was willing to pay for a player coming off several concussions.

Dean took a risk on him (twice) and it paid off handsomely twice.

Thanks for helping us win the Cup Willie!

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Well looks like they were right JCM.

No mas senior willie.

Adios mis amigo.

Interesting that he is going to Minnesota at the same time I am moving there. If only I were a Wild fan it would make things easier. Maybe willie being there will give me a reason to follow them more closely.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

No mas senior willie.

Adios mis amigo.

Interesting that he is going to Minnesota at the same time I am moving there. If only I were a Wild fan it would make things easier. Maybe willie being there will give me a reason to follow them more closely.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
^ Lets be honest, the only reason he signed here is because no other team was willing to pay for a player coming off several concussions.

Dean took a risk on him (twice) and it paid off handsomely twice.

Thanks for helping us win the Cup Willie!

He said that when he signed his extension, not when he first signed as a UFA.

Ryan120420

Dec 2, 2010
^ Not talking about the extension, talking about how Dean didn't give up on him when he missed all of the 2013 season.

Dean could have just washed his hands clean of Willie, but didn't and it paid off again.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Had to happen, the back-end needs to get younger. I would hope in the coming years, it' gets faster as well. On that note, what the hell happened to Slava's foot speed ?

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

No mas senior willie.

Adios mis amigo.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Wait....RP=JCM??

Anyways...not to start another thread and somewhat related...was there ever any movement with Gravel? (someone mentioned young guys in the pipeline)

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Nope RP = RP. Except for those 30 minutes a couple days ago.

Ok, I was pretty sure you were just some random that popped up one day....

But who the F can keep up with name changes.....even worse I usually remember most people by their Avi....and very few stick to the one Avi policy....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad