Kings News: Willie Mitchell not Returning

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Best of luck elsewhere, Willie, you leave us with nothing but fond memories.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Someone had to go. Great guy, but he's lost a step. Put together a valiant season after the injuries he'd been through and was solid for us all around again, but it is time to move on and go with younger options. We really couldn't take the cap hit anyways.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Bummer... I wanted Mitchell to stay and Regehr to go, but is McNabb can replace Mitchell (tall order the first season or two), then it's not so bad, as the blue line needs to get younger.

Agreed. I think Mitchell is chronically underrated, though. He's one of the best shutdown defensemen of his era. We're going to have to get used to last-years-Muzzin-like errors from McNabb as he grows and the same from Regehr as he continues to slow down. We've been spoiled by guys that are steady but not spectacular. Would have been fantastic for McNabb to get mentored by Mitchell :(

Ron*

This sucks.

But bottom line is I'm sure he wanted too many years on the next contract and the Kings just weren't going to do that.

We should have known as soon as Greene was in deep negotiations with the Kings. The writing was on the wall.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Im gunna go out on a limb and say this is probably the toughest decision Dean's had to make with this group. Dean's gotta make critical cap and age/youth decisions...challenge his loyal intentions.

Be well Willie. ..tough to believe we would have won this year without you. Wish Dean was in a position to reward you.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This sucks.

But bottom line is I'm sure he wanted too many years on the next contract and the Kings just weren't going to do that.

We should have known as soon as Greene was in deep negotiations with the Kings. The writing was on the wall.

The improved play of Muzzin and Martinez is probably what will have ultimately pushed Mitchell out. A) They need playing time, B) they're going to have to pay them, and C) Greene has been as big a part of the 2 Cups as Mitchell has, and he's a right shot. The writing probably on the wall when Lombardi traded for McNabb.

If the Kings had gone out early against SJ, Mitchell probably wouldn't have been back after that either. More of a big picture move than anything.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
On a more melancholy note, it's going to be tough to not have Mitchell with us. If there was ever a player I'd wish the best with a new team, it's him. :cry:

Love Mitchell. Sad to see him go. One of my favorites, could always be counted on for a smile and a good interview. I'm sure the reporters are sad to see him go, too.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
At 37 how much I want him back he's going to be 38 and declining. Although at 37 he's way better then Greene. But will be missed for sure was a great leader and warrior.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
One of the greatest UFA signings in Kings history. You will always be welcome in LA.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
When Regehr's contract is up, he's not coming back. The same might be said about Stoll, and Nolan. But Williams will probably get another contract. The team needs the extra money to sign Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli, and Pearson.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Safe to say this is the Willie Mitchell appreciation thread now?

Will be tough seeing him go. He was definitely a huge part of the Kings success in both their cup runs. Hopefully he lands somewhere he can be happy about retiring with and best of luck to him. Always a King.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
I know Minny has inquired but I can see the Avs going for him. Avs could use a guy like WM to mentor the younguns..

niomosy

May 23, 2012
Sad to see him go. It was great having him on our team. Thanks for everything, Willie.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm not going to say anything until he actually belongs to another team. The "no room for him" means he wants too much. But after looking around, he could change his mind.

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
Thanks Willie. You will be remembered as a crucial piece of the Stanley Cup champion team Los Angeles Kings anno 2012 and 2014. Good luck to You.

guderian

Nov 10, 2006
Zagreb
When Regehr's contract is up, he's not coming back. The same might be said about Stoll, and Nolan. But Williams will probably get another contract. The team needs the extra money to sign Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli, and Pearson.

If next year Kings do well, really really well and do what they do best (aka 3 in 4 :naughty: ) Stoll will be back, probably with pay cut and a bit lesser role, and you can bet your house on it .

He will have 33y, not too old for one more tour with Kings, and contrary to some of posters here Kings will have more than enough cap room for both Williams and Stoll (there is nothing that can stop Kings giving Williams and/or Stoll contract that is similar to one Gaborik received, longer term and lesser cap hit, with no risk of any kind of cap penalty) without compromising resigning of Pearson, Toffoli, Martinez, Muzzin or Kopitar(assuming cap keeps growing to ~73-74M in '15/'16 and ~75-76M '16/'17).

Regher is only player that is unlikely to resign with Kings after his contract runs out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad