Player Discussion William Nylander

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Brodie is rested.
Still has some skill and ability, just not a full time player.
I recall the looks back on the left side for him were better. Did that go away or they just pushed him right and forgot about it?

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
I don't understand the secrecy surrounding Nylander's condition. If he is suffering from headaches, why not let the public know? The Bruins gonna give him headshots? No!. It would have ended all the speculation re: what is wrong with him. Certainly would have dashed the rumours he was p.o.ed for being demoted or had an ailment the Bruins could exploit. Just another Leaf management blunder. If he doesn't suit up tomorrow, I won't believe a thing EF or Leaf management say. Not that I do anyway.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't understand the secrecy surrounding Nylander's condition. If he is suffering from headaches, why not let the public know? The Bruins gonna give him headshots? No!. It would have ended all the speculation re: what is wrong with him. Certainly would have dashed the rumours he was p.o.ed for being demoted or had an ailment the Bruins could exploit. Just another Leaf management blunder. If he doesn't suit up tomorrow, I won't believe a thing EF or Leaf management say. Not that I do anyway.
Headaches. They can be secondary to concussions as migraines or the migraines can be standalone so the team might be a little uncertain themselves. I don't understand the secrecy most of the time, especially when the player is off for a while but they dont want to give Boston a bullseye to aim for his first game back.

Feb 25, 2016
If he has serious concussion syndrome then it won't take a shot to the head to have him go to the dressing room. Any contact can have him puking and stumbling. Promising careers have ended because it's become a permanent condition.

Reactions: uncleben and kylbaz

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If he has serious concussion syndrome then it won't take a shot to the head to have him go to the dressing room. Any contact can have him puking and stumbling. Promising careers have ended because it's become a permanent condition.
This Toronto/Boston series is the most physical of all the 1st round series.

The Bruins will smell blood in the water if Nylander dresses, and pay special attention to finish all checks.

This has to be of great concern to Leafs management exposing him to that type of contact that can further impact Willy's health now and long-term.

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Noah Gregor plays a similar game to Nylander?

What? :laugh:

Ya, they are pretty much the same right?
Noah Gregor. Plays a possession game. He may not be as fast as Willy, but skates similar and is able to rag the puck when needed. Our team's low panic button resulting in so many give aways right now.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
How do you say migraines and then equate it to headaches smh.

There's a reason why they're classified as different things...
Well … a migraine is a headache.

I think you mean tension headache vs migraine.

It’s extremely rare to need that much time off for a migraine. It CAN happen.

I’m glad Willy is 99% likely back tonight.

Edit:

Is it fair to say Willy is the first player in NHL history to miss 3 playoff games with a migraine ? I believe it could be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So he was sitting out with migraines? Am I getting this right. He sat out 3 playoff games with a headache?

According to the earlier media reports the Leafs medical staff were having difficulty determining if the symptoms were a concussion due to the severity of his symptoms plus there not being a definitive medical test for some situations

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
According to the earlier media reports the Leafs medical staff were having difficulty determining if the symptoms were a concussion due to the severity of his symptoms plus there not being a definitive medical test for some situations

Migraine is a neurological disease that affects an estimated 12% of the population. Although commonly referred to as a ‘migraine headache,’ a headache is only one of the many symptoms experienced by people who experience a migraine attack.

It is important to understand your symptoms and to be able to describe them to your healthcare professional. If you find your symptoms on this list, you can track them in our Migraine Diary.

Symptoms include:

• Headache, the primary and most common symptom, lasting from a few hours up to 3 days
  • Sensitivity to light, including bright lights, sunlight, or even moderate indoor lighting, also called photophobia
  • Sensitivity to sound, including loud noises or speaking at a nominal volume. Some noises may be particularly grating during a migraine attack, also called phonophobia,
  • Visual Aura, before or during a migraine attack. Aura can look like flashing lights, swirling, bright static, or blind spots
  • Nausea and vomiting, which may be brought on by other sensitivities, including smells that might not normally be irritating, or motion sensitivity leading to dizziness or vertigo
  • Cognitive difficulties, such poor concentration or feeling foggy. Some people may experience difficulty speaking (dysphasia) finding the right words when they speak (dysnomia)
For more details, you can read more Migraine Categories articles on the Migraine Tree.

If you’re experiencing migraine attacks, download our Migraine Diary to track your symptoms and talk to your doctor.

And from personal experience I know at least one person who cannot even stand and is bedbound for days.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Again I ask one of the medical experts here.

I understand migraines can be debilitating (my father suffered from them) but if this was the case, how (and why) was he practising with these?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I understand migraines can be debilitating (my father suffered from them) but if this was the case, how (and why) was he practising with these?

He wasn't with the main team, and wasn't doing line rushes.

Consider the time on ice as you would any recovery and / or testing.

You can have surgery, and be back to a quasi normal life within hours/days/weeks/months depending on the surgery, but a marathoner might be do some light work-outs but wouldn't be running a marathon right away.

Common sense sort of thing.

As I mentioned earlier, Landeskog has been skating since January 12th. He isn't in the line-up.

Reactions: authentic and egd27
Sep 18, 2009

There are four phases of a migraine attack: prodrome, aura, headache and postdrome. Not everyone experiences every phase during a migraine attack, and each attack may be different, even within the same person.

The headache portion of an attack can last from four hours to three days. An entire migraine attack—including prodrome, aura, headache and postdrome—may last anywhere from a bit more than one day to slightly more than a week at its very longest, though this is not typical. Most typically, a migraine attack will last for one to two days.

Reactions: authentic and egd27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad