Value of: William Nylander

Mar 26, 2010
Anderson is a very good goalie. He's just getting exposed with high danger shots cause the team D is not sound and Keith has the offensive talent roaming free.

Leafs need another Muzzin type at RD. Then it starts to look much better. Trading Kadri for Barrie and Kerfoot was a mistake. Barrie was not the type they needed and Kerfoot is not the 3C like Bozak.

They kind of got unlucky cause the cap before Covid-19 was expected to be $84M - $88M range with more cap growth coming with new US TV deal and Seattle. If the cap was $86M, they could have made some moves to unload some salary (Kapanen and Kerfoot) and have money to sign Pietrangelo.
I am not a fan of Andersen at all. Not sold on him.

Pietrangelo is a Toronto boy, so perhaps he wants to play at home and takes a discount? Who knows. I would not bank on that.

Reactions: bernmeister

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am not a fan of Andersen at all. Not sold on him.

Pietrangelo is a Toronto boy, so perhaps he wants to play at home and takes a discount? Who knows. I would not bank on that.

Even on a discount, Pietrangelo won't fit the cap. Leafs would have to move two guys out (Kapanen, Kerfoot, Johnson types) or try to trade Nylander. Pietrangelo likely stays with the Blues and yes, they have cap issues as well.

Reactions: Hollywood North

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Just thinking of a few teams that could use Nylander and trying to match need for Toronto:

To Cgy: Nylander

To Tor: Andersson, Mangiapane

To Ari: Nylander

To Tor: Soderstrom, Hinostroza

To Islanders: Nylander

To Tor: Dobson, 2021 1st

If I am NYI, no chance I make that trade. Even if the value is fair (debateable), NYI already has a lot of salary invest in their forward core.

Arizona feels fairsih, but I really feel like they have enough skilled wingers.

Calgary....Andersson is very good, but I see that as a loss for Toronto.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Yeah, Tavares is not going to waive his NMC out of Toronto. I do sort of agree with you though. Tavares is a great 200' center who is very effective at both ends but was this the piece you really needed? Tavares becoming a UFA accelerated the need to win a cup and the cap space would have been better used on D.

Before Tavares when the Leafs were on the rise (17/18 season)
- 270 goals for (ranks 3rd)
- 230 goals against (ranks 12th)
- 105 pts (ranks 6th)
- Almost beat the Caps!

After Tavares (18/19 and 19/20 seasons):
- 523 goals for (ranks 2nd). 261.5/season
- 471 goals against (ranks 20th). 235.5/season
- 181 pts (ranks 9th)
- Can't get past the Bruins

Are the Leafs better with Tavares and without Kadri, Bozak, and JVR? You would think they should be

This calculation omits the reality that Matthews, Marner and Nylander deals pushed out talent. It's not some kind of surprise that the entire team going through a financial transition might take a step back.

Another poor take with an obvious bias from you. How many teams got past the Bruins, anyways? Pretty select group.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This calculation omits the reality that Matthews, Marner and Nylander deals pushed out talent. It's not some kind of surprise that the entire team going through a financial transition might take a step back.

Another poor take with an obvious bias from you. How many teams got past the Bruins, anyways? Pretty select group.

My point was I don't believe the team is better with Tavares vs Kadri, Bozak, JVR. But hey, I would defend signing Tavares as well. Just looking at the results so far. Too bad the cap didn't grow to $84M - $88M like it was predicted before Covid-19 eh

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think you would have an extremely difficult time convincing any non-biased fans that Nylander has as much skill as Pettersson.

Literally no Leaf fan thinks this. That account you are quoting is likely a troll account.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I have Petterson, Zibby, Backstrom ahead. Personal preference has Forsberg at 4.

I have Nylander leading the group with Landeskog, Lindholm, Rakell.

So 5 would be more accurate.
He is definitely ahead of Backstrom Rakell and Landeskog for me. He is close to Lindholm. Hard to tell if Lindholm had a down year, or was back to normal after 1 outlier year.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Mar 26, 2010
Even on a discount, Pietrangelo won't fit the cap. Leafs would have to move two guys out (Kapanen, Kerfoot, Johnson types) or try to trade Nylander. Pietrangelo likely stays with the Blues and yes, they have cap issues as well.
I agree with you here. Leafs are in a tough cap position.

Mar 26, 2010
Hopefully just a troll. He doubled down on Nylander being in the conversation for best Swedish forward in the NHL. I have him somewhere in the 5-7 range.
Pettersson is not the best Swede forward in the NHL.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

That’s the problem. Toronto is too cap heavy on forwards. They need to trade F for D

General rule is around 57% of cap for forwards. Rest for D/G. You can exceed thst short term like 1-2 yrs because players on ELC or cheap deals.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Yeah, Tavares is not going to waive his NMC out of Toronto. I do sort of agree with you though. Tavares is a great 200' center who is very effective at both ends but was this the piece you really needed? Tavares becoming a UFA accelerated the need to win a cup and the cap space would have been better used on D.

Before Tavares when the Leafs were on the rise (17/18 season)
- 270 goals for (ranks 3rd)
- 230 goals against (ranks 12th)
- 105 pts (ranks 6th)
- Almost beat the Caps!

After Tavares (18/19 and 19/20 seasons):
- 523 goals for (ranks 2nd). 261.5/season
- 471 goals against (ranks 20th). 235.5/season
- 181 pts (ranks 9th)
- Can't get past the Bruins

Are the Leafs better with Tavares and without Kadri, Bozak, and JVR? You would think they should be

Caps series was 16-17, not 17-18. I do like how much more optimism you have for our loss in six games vs. our losses in seven.

Anyone who watched the team in 18-19 knows we were a better team (funny how HF is the biggest "WATCH THE GAME" website until the stats happen to suit their argument). Our 105 points in 17-18 benefited from a lot of shootout wins and a Vezina calibre performance from McElhinney. As for this season, we certainly had our struggles, Andersen was off his game and we dealt with a lot of injuries. No complaints, it happens in a league with as much parity as the NHL, but we still got ourselves into playoff spot before the suspension and I believe we're one of only six teams in the qualifiers/playoffs who have not missed in the previous three years.

Reactions: Glacious

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
My point was I don't believe the team is better with Tavares vs Kadri, Bozak, JVR. But hey, I would defend signing Tavares as well. Just looking at the results so far. Too bad the cap didn't grow to $84M - $88M like it was predicted before Covid-19 eh
You mean to say Tavares + + ,,,so far 11 million cap hit vs Kadri,,,Boz,,JVR 16 million cap hit,,right?

Basically Tavares and 5 million in cap space vs those 3

Reactions: Devonator

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Lol I have a feeling we will do better but think you for your wisdom...
Maybe a 2nd but I doubt it. Not this offseason. Dude looked pretty meh this season and then suffered a major injury. Won’t be many teams with cap space that want to take on that contract and injury risk. Selling him low. You get corespondent offers.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
To be fair, Nylander would be one of, if not your best winger.

He was on pace for 37 goals and 72 points.

I hate these "on pace" non-stat stats. Until a guy shows me he can do that for a full season you should sit back down and shut it. Also checks username, yeah checks out.

You may be over estimating your team a bit.

Yeah we suck but we're in the play-in just like your God's gift to forwards team.

17 pages so far and what team has offered the best return for Nylander? Why did it turn into Habs signing Pietrangelo and trading him for Nylander?

*raises hand* I'm sorry.

Every single team? No.

Even right now, 18 teams are below the $81.5 m maximum cap. "Some" teams would have been a better way to express this.

Just an FYI a lot of teams in the NHL have internal caps as well.

No, I'm saying be wary of trading for wingers that play with elite centres because you might find that their production is, at least in part, artificially inflated.

That's also why you should never trade for a Tampa Bay Lightning forward.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

No need for a FYI - well aware of that. When I pointed out that numerous teams are below the $81.5 m cap, it takes into account internal cap teams and many other circumstances.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I hate these "on pace" non-stat stats. Until a guy shows me he can do that for a full season you should sit back down and shut it. Also checks username, yeah checks out.

Yeah we suck but we're in the play-in just like your God's gift to forwards team.

*raises hand* I'm sorry.

That's also why you should never trade for a Tampa Bay Lightning forward.
If theres any year to do it, this is it. He would have showed you if, say the league hadnt shut down due to a pandemic.

You're acting like he played 20 games and went down to injury. He played 68 games so we have a pretty good idea of where he was going.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad