William Nylander & Tier One Forwards

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I apologize if this belongs in another thread but ...

Flyers should obviously pursue Duchene and Panarin but likely will end up with the neither given the supply and demand. The second tier, Dzingel, Hayes, Zuccarello etc . all has serious issues such as age or production concerns. I think the Flyers should aim for a tier one forward.

If they strike out in free agency then the trade market is something they should be willing to consider depending on the cost .

Is William Nylander, a soon to be 23 year old forward, worth the 11th overall? Is he worth more . Is there another tier one forward to target. What is a fair price for such a player.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Targetting Nylander is definitely an interesting idea, but I don't think he is worth the 11th overall based on what we saw from him this season. I'd absolutely consider something around Ratcliffe though, which is a pretty good return for Toronto considering their cap situation.

23 year old C/RW that already has two 60 point seasons under his belt would be a nice addition.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Targetting Nylander is definitely an interesting idea, but I don't think he is worth the 11th overall based on what we saw from him this season. I'd absolutely consider something around Ratcliffe though, which is a pretty good return for Toronto considering their cap situation.

23 year old C/RW that already has two 60 point seasons under his belt would be a nice addition.
I would not say that Wn is not worth #11. Hell we hope Patrick becomes that, don't we?

Adding Nylander WOULD do a few things. It would give us that guy who could step into C in case Patrick or Frost don't step up. And if they look great, well all the sudden we have quite a nice lineup.

Giroux Patrick Voracek
Lindblom Couts Nylander
JVR Frost TK
Raffl Laughton Hartman

with Farabee being not that far away. The flipside, is that we are paying WN UFA money. And does that have the trickle down effect on all our next RFA as they come up. And it also means only 5 years of control compared to possibly 11 with whoever we draft.

It also has the ED implications as we would definitely have to go 7-3....but we might do that anyway.

Personally, I think it's good value, but it just might not fit what we need. I think we can find a cheaper option as a stopgap for a year and that Patrick and Frost WILL prove to be good players. It just might be another year. But it might not, too.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I'm not sure this season defines him.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Nylander is overrated. don't want him at all. he's a product of Matthews. disappears when he's not tied to him. 6.9m for that? hell no. waste of cap space. i'd target Kapanen before i would Nylander.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
No need to discuss these forwards or any other forwards on teams that might think about shaking up because it’s just a wishlist I was told.

Let’s keep collecting assets upon assets and once Giroux and Voracek are gone we will start to win since they haven’t won anything in over a decade.

No point in even trying to improve this team from the outside because we are going to have to pay every single elite prospect we have over 10 million a piece even though other contracts are expiring. Logistics are complicated, don’t argue or make sense with me here. I’ll pull out my GAR rating and smash your terrible argument to shreds.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I’ll die on the hill that ROR should have been the target last off season. Selke nomination and he wouldn’t have cost that much at all. Buffalo essentially gave him away. If the flyers were interested in upgrading the team, he should have/could have easily beaten that offer and had the player.

He provided flexibility in the long run as well by playing all three positions. Plays 2nd line center, oh shit that’s what we are looking for!

That was the biggest mistake of Hextall. He missed a prime opportunity to dramatically improve this team.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I’ll die on the hill that ROR should have been the target last off season. Selke nomination and he wouldn’t have cost that much at all. Buffalo essentially gave him away. If the flyers were interested in upgrading the team, he should have/could have easily beaten that offer and had the player.

He provided flexibility in the long run as well by playing all three positions. Plays 2nd line center, oh **** that’s what we are looking for!

That was the biggest mistake of Hextall. He missed a prime opportunity to dramatically improve this team.
wasnt worth the cap hit ;)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

He provided flexibility in the long run as well by playing all three positions. Plays 2nd line center, oh **** that’s what we are looking for!

You're assuming Buffalo would have traded him to the Flyers, often in that situation the GM insists on the player going to the other conference (see EK's trade conditions).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
ANNNNDDDD. Any player discussed only evaluate on even strength points please.

Well, funny how those posters who like PP points ignore PK play.
Since PK is the mirror image of PP, PK play should be valued just as highly.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

It's weird, because Hextall was pilloried on here for being in love with that overpaid 3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad