William Nylander & Tier One Forwards

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
This time of year is always best to get rational player evaluations from fans

Lol. Not fans. Announcers.

There's also last years sample size where he dove outta corners as if there was a live grenade when he saw big bad Chara coming.

There's a reason Chara has been dropped on his ass 3 times this series by Dermott, Turris and Hyman....but not Nylander

Last edited:

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Too bad Pastrnak is locked up for a few more years, would love a player like him

Edit, nvm - pasta would still be awesome, but doesn't really make alot of sense unless we are losing TK or Jake (which I am not suggesting). Put me down as a quality tier 2 guy in hindsight

Last edited:

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
No need to discuss these forwards or any other forwards on teams that might think about shaking up because it’s just a wishlist I was told.

Let’s keep collecting assets upon assets and once Giroux and Voracek are gone we will start to win since they haven’t won anything in over a decade.

No point in even trying to improve this team from the outside because we are going to have to pay every single elite prospect we have over 10 million a piece even though other contracts are expiring. Logistics are complicated, don’t argue or make sense with me here. I’ll pull out my GAR rating and smash your terrible argument to shreds.
This! This is sarcasm. I’ve got it now.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Targetting Nylander is definitely an interesting idea, but I don't think he is worth the 11th overall based on what we saw from him this season. I'd absolutely consider something around Ratcliffe though, which is a pretty good return for Toronto considering their cap situation.

23 year old C/RW that already has two 60 point seasons under his belt would be a nice addition.
Ratcliffe is too much, but I'd absolutely consider something around Tanner Laczynski.

Actually Lacynski is too much, but I'd absolute consider something around Matej Tomek.

Actually, who needs skill and talent on this roster anyway? Let's just draft more C-level prospects and have fun overrating them for a few years.

Reactions: Domino666

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t think their GM is going box himself into a situation where he has to trade Nylander after a down year though. Nylander’s underlying numbers are still pretty good even this year. I’m not even saying Dubas is great but he’s not going to adhere to traditional stuff hockey guys do.

I think they’ll sell high on one of Kapanen or Johnsson personally.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Starting your season in December with no camp is not easy. I'm sure Nylander will be a 60+ point player again.
But it IS a bit scary to see that he has only done that when he had Matthews as his C all year. So you could see why a team without a Matthews level guy would be sceptical on what WN could post with a lesser C.

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Patrick is no Matthews, but I feel like Nylander would be a pretty good fit on his RW.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I’ll die on the hill that ROR should have been the target last off season. Selke nomination and he wouldn’t have cost that much at all. Buffalo essentially gave him away. If the flyers were interested in upgrading the team, he should have/could have easily beaten that offer and had the player.

He provided flexibility in the long run as well by playing all three positions. Plays 2nd line center, oh **** that’s what we are looking for!

That was the biggest mistake of Hextall. He missed a prime opportunity to dramatically improve this team.

Never understood how anyone was against the idea of him or Tavares last summer.

Reactions: Rebels57

Munch89

Jul 4, 2018
Not worth his cap hit in my opinion.
he'sgota good skill set, great speed, but not a play driver. Would be an awesome asset at 5.5 or less, but he's 6.9? That's too much

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
His down production is pretty obviously a result of missing a large chunk of the year. It would be stupid for this team to not take him at a discount if that’s the route the leafs take to ease the cap.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Patrick will be better, he's already better defensively than JT, who is below average. :sarcasm:
JT would not have put up the same numbers here, and he would have cost the Flyers $11M, he took a discount to go to Toronto.
Just because fans want someone, doesn't mean the GM can get him.

As EK shows, even one of the best players in the league doesn't necessarily make you a great team, VGK have dominated San Jose.
It's a team game, which is why you don't overpay for any player.

Nylander can skate circles around Stone, which forward would you want?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The read that I have on Nylander is that the Leafs are not happy with him for what he did to them last fall with his hold out. Nylander has been playing under undue pressure. He's being portrayed as the guy that basically screwed their financial planning for the future. It's a way of making it look like the cap mess is a player's fault and not the GM after Dubas signed Tavares for mega bucks. A few weeks back, Babcock came out and talked about this by indicating that the players should take a financial hit for the team.
I'd be more than happy to see the Flyers help out by taking Nylander or Kapanen off of their hands. However they can keep Kadri.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->