Post-Game Talk: William Nylander Leads Leafs to Victory AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
To be fair he has been given the toughest matchups hasn't he?

so the only way he's going to produce is if he gets favourable match-ups all the time? At some point he has to start doing something. His shot looks terrible to be quite honest. The guy is 25 years old and shoots like he's still in junior, Nylander is 6 years younger and already has a harder and more dangerous shot. Amazing that this guy could get 4.5-5 mil a year. I like Kadri, I've supported him throughout his young career. I still think there's a bit more in him to get better but he has to start working on his shot if he wants to start putting up some goals and points. His skating could get better too

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
so the only way he's going to produce is if he gets favourable match-ups all the time? At some point he has to start doing something. His shot looks terrible to be quite honest. The guy is 25 years old and shoots like he's still in junior, Nylander is 6 years younger and already has a harder and more dangerous shot. Amazing that this guy could get 4.5-5 mil a year. I like Kadri, I've supported him throughout his young career. I still think there's a bit more in him to get better but he has to start working on his shot if he wants to start putting up some goals and points. His skating could get better too

He's 25. I honestly don't think he has it in him. I'd trade him now while there are people who think he will reach any imagined potential.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
He's 25. I honestly don't think he has it in him. I'd trade him now while there are people who think he will reach any imagined potential.

How about we sign him now, expecting that he is as good as he'll ever be, and we appreciate that because he's actually a decent player and adds value to our team?

You don't trade people just because they won't reach the imaginary potential you've assigned for them. You sign or trade people based on their value to your club, where they fit in cap wise and identify wise. I happen to think that Kadri fits in our club on all fronts unless he requests a ridiculous contract.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
How about we sign him now, expecting that he is as good as he'll ever be, and we appreciate that because he's actually a decent player and adds value to our team?

You don't trade people just because they won't reach the imaginary potential you've assigned for them. You sign or trade people based on their value to your club, where they fit in cap wise and identify wise. I happen to think that Kadri fits in our club on all fronts unless he requests a ridiculous contract.

I wouldn't sign him as a 2nd line C. I don't think he will be our 2nd line C when we're good. IF we sign Stamkos, we will have Stamkos and Nylander as our top 2 Cs when we're good. Nylander already, in my mind, looks like he will be way better than Kadri in a year or 2. I would sign him to a 5x5 contract. To me, he is a 4.5 M for 3 years kinda player.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I think Babs said it best, Kadri needs to work on his size and strength in the off season. He has played vs good players this year and his statistical results are poor, Babs, Shanny and Lou now know what they have to work with. I'm sure if Kadri has someone do the heavy lifting for him he can knock in 40-50 points a year.

It's odd that Kadri has just hit such a sudden wall the day after the trade deadline. Did he catch wind Lou was trying to move him and that hurt his feelings? Is he injured? People like Grabner, who some have blamed for Kadris poor season, is playing well this month, so its not like its a linemate problem.

What is his performance this year worth? Has the last 3 weeks changed anyone's mind? or has the last 3 confirmed what many fans already knew?

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
Can someone please tell me how many games does Nylander have to play for him not to be considered a rookie next season?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I wouldn't sign him as a 2nd line C. I don't think he will be our 2nd line C when we're good. IF we sign Stamkos, we will have Stamkos and Nylander as our top 2 Cs when we're good. Nylander already, in my mind, looks like he will be way better than Kadri in a year or 2. I would sign him to a 5x5 contract. To me, he is a 4.5 M for 3 years kinda player.

I agree, if just for the fact there seems to always be an off ice circus following the guy and that grey cloud can affect the younger players on the team.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Can someone please tell me how many games does Nylander have to play for him not to be considered a rookie next season?

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played any more than 25 games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six games in each of two separate preceding seasons in any major professional league.

and..............

The Leafs have the most Calder trophies with 9.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Since being here he's burned the first year of his entry-level contract: meaning come the 2018-19 season, Nylander is going to need a new deal.

So take a pick, he is no longer a Rookie, or will be a Rookie until he signs a new contract?

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played any more than 25 games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six games in each of two separate preceding seasons in any major professional league.

and..............

The Leafs have the most Calder trophies with 9.

So assuming he plays every game from now until the end of the season he'll finish with 22GP, so he'd be eligible for the Calder next year. Would love to see him win it.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
uyo2r8Q.jpg

this post...is awesome.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

What Kadri currently brings isn't enough to justify a contract north of $5 million though.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What Kadri currently brings isn't enough to justify a contract north of $5 million though.

5.5 is still in the realm of contract comparables.

Ultimately though if management wants him, I think they'll get him inked for a decent price for the team - I get the impression he quite likes Babcock.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
5.5 is still in the realm of contract comparables.

Ultimately though if management wants him, I think they'll get him inked for a decent price for the team - I get the impression he quite likes Babcock.

He's a mediocre 2C, and much more suited for an offensive 3C role. I would throw up if the Leafs gave him anything close to 5.5 for any term.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So assuming he plays every game from now until the end of the season he'll finish with 22GP, so he'd be eligible for the Calder next year. Would love to see him win it.

Same here but it will be tough, there are quite a few prospect in the AHL who could have a Calder type season next year and there are some CHL players that could challenge for the award.

In the end I hope he just develops without the ridiculous pressure that media and fans love to dump on "the next Leafs savior". Hopefully people see he is just one guy who is a small piece to the puzzle and not one guy who is the entire answer to the puzzle.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
What if the Leafs make a new kid line that goes down in history

Nylander - Matthews - Marner Aka mnm

Or

Laine - nylander - marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events