Prospect Info: William Nylander drafted by Mississauga

William Nylander*

I you believe at some point Steve Spott will be the coach of the Leafs then Nylander should play for him in the AHL. Nonis also said he wants Nylander playing against NA men.
Marlies.

When did he say that?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I you believe at some point Steve Spott will be the coach of the Leafs then Nylander should play for him in the AHL. Nonis also said he wants Nylander playing against NA men.
Marlies.

Spott have coached Kadri, Skinner and Landerskog and they turned out ok so I think he could do a good job with Nylander as well.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Marlies.

The ice size ~ game style is relevant too.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Please don't go to the OHL, no reason to...Leafs/Marlies best option...or the SEL, anything but the OHL.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
To those comparing his skill set to Kadri:

The main difference I see between the two is that Nylander has excellent skating/acceleration and can function well at top speed. Kadri really lacks the explosiveness in his stride to be a star in the NHL, but probably has better puck handling abilities.

I think that you could use the exact statements above to describe the difference between Kadri and Duchene too.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
To those comparing his skill set to Kadri:

The main difference I see between the two is that Nylander has excellent skating/acceleration and can function well at top speed. Kadri really lacks the explosiveness in his stride to be a star in the NHL, but probably has better puck handling abilities.

I think that you could use the exact statements above to describe the difference between Kadri and Duchene too.

Kadri likes to slow the game down where Duchene/Nylander process at high speed.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/02/leafs-goalie-james-reimer-could-be-stuck-in-toronto-for-now

STEAL FOR STEELHEADS?

The Mississauga Steelheads gave the Leafs another development option for their prize No. 1 pick on Wednesday, choosing young Swede William Nylander in the Canadian Hockey League’s import draft.

But as hockey operations vice-president Dave Poulin told the Sun’s Terry Koshan, the Steelheads are taking this gamble on their own, with the Leafs hoping Nylander does well enough at next week’s prospects gathering and the September rookie tournament to earn a berth at the main camp.

“There were (CHL) teams who reached out to us to see if we did have a preference on where he plays next year,” Poulin said. “That will all be up to the player and how things progress from here.”

“This player has options available. By not being under contract, he could go back and play in the Swedish Hockey League, he is eligible to play in the American Hockey League, he could come in and make a strong impression right at the top (with the Leafs).”

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
More options availalbe now.

In prioirty.

1) Leafs
2) Marlies
3) SEL
4) OHL

Not likely to end up in Mississauga baring some real struggles on his part to play pro in the AHL and Leafs not wanting his to return to Sweden.

Never say never as Leafs demoted Tlusty to the CHL from the AHL for development purposes but the SEL is a lot stronger then Czech league for development purposes.

1)$$$$$
2)$$
3)$$$
4)Beer Money :laugh:

XiTnA

Mar 28, 2014
i hope he goes back to sweden. he isnt going to make a difference in the nhl this year and the ohl is a step back from mens hockey in sweden regardless of the ice size

Cophy

Mar 29, 2011
i hope he goes back to sweden. he isnt going to make a difference in the nhl this year and the ohl is a step back from mens hockey in sweden regardless of the ice size

Nylander's agent said in an interview that he won't play in the CHL(OHL) and that he wants to make the NHL. He will likely not be back in the SHL either(terminated his SHL contract). I'd say it's a 95% chance that he plays with the Marlies or the Leafs.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Let him stay in Sweden and develop there. He'll get stronger and Thommie Bergman is an excellent ambassador for the Leafs-- he'll convey what the team feels he needs to work on. It's important for teenagers to stay in a familiar environment while they become more comfortable with an independent lifestyle.

The following season, 2015-16, is when he should make the move to North America and play with the Marlies for a year or two. Keeping him out of the limelight and allowing him to work on his abilities over time will only result in a better player when he eventually makes the jump to the NHL.

Not happening. He has to make a jump by next season. He is ready and burying him in AHL and SHL will no longer help him or Leafs. Just because it's fun for some fans to enjoy watching old farts play on the team and bury the kids' development, it's not happening. He is ready and he shows commitment to stay on the leafs.

He will definitely blow out this summer camp. We will see.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah the OHL is a long shot at best. No offence to that league but I think the SHL or the AHL would be a hell of a lot better for Nylander if he can't quite play in the NHL yet.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Not true at all. Players can not play in the AHL when over 19 without burning a year off their ELC. Players playing under contract to their NHL team in the AHL are burning off years off their ELC. Players in Ncaa or in Europe playing are not playing under contract and using up years.

You are totally clueless. Or ignorant. Or you are one of those kids who are enjoying summer break. Anyway kid take a look if you can understand this situation. Don't if you don't understand anything.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/1578

Based on this Tomas Tatar played 2 full seasons in AHL and the entry level contract slide through those years. May be you are not gonna be drafted kid. :laugh:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Let him stay in Sweden and develop there. He'll get stronger and Thommie Bergman is an excellent ambassador for the Leafs-- he'll convey what the team feels he needs to work on. It's important for teenagers to stay in a familiar environment while they become more comfortable with an independent lifestyle.

The following season, 2015-16, is when he should make the move to North America and play with the Marlies for a year or two. Keeping him out of the limelight and allowing him to work on his abilities over time will only result in a better player when he eventually makes the jump to the NHL.

i agree, although i'd prefer he jump from shl to nhl because i'm sure thugs in the ahl will be gunning for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00