Prospect Info: William Nylander drafted by Mississauga

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Mississauga is taking a chance that he comes to the AHL, but is not able to play a top 6 role there.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Was Kadri better than William Nylander at his age? I'd like to know how you came to that opinion. You must've seen a lot of Nylander playing in Sweden as they regularly show a variety of Swedish league games from various tiers on television here in Canada.

kadri would of gone top 3 in this draft, same age.

nylander needs to learn the defence part of the game before he can play in the nhl.
1 of his flaws defensive zone
2 shys away from checking.
3 needs to get bigger.

but he will be a top 6 winger or center,,,,,,, 3 years from now:)

great pickup for the leafs:nod:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
he will take 3 years before he plays in the nhl. see kadri, who was better at his age

No, that is really not the case. Nylander is ahead of Kadri both in terms of physical and mental maturity.

Could actually see Nylander play on Kadris wing as early as this season.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I'm hoping he plays in the OHL

I know Burakovsky was a different player and skill set but the 1 year certainly worked for him I think.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Playing in the AHL as a under 20 player does not burn years of the ELC.

But even so, it is not the Riellys and Nylanders of the hockey world we should hope to have on the cheap for a few years. It is the Biggs and Ashtons.

I think it does burn a year as he is playing pro hockey in North America. It matters more to have the elite cheap for as long as you can more then 4th line scrub players as their salary is not going up 7 times the amount.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
No, that is really not the case. Nylander is ahead of Kadri both in terms of physical and mental maturity.

Could actually see Nylander play on Kadris wing as early as this season.

same dream we had with kadri:nod::)

hes no sequin or hall or tavares

hes going to be good,,,,, just let him develop:nod:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I think it does burn a year as he is playing pro hockey in North America. It matters more to have the elite cheap for as long as you can more then 4th line scrub players as their salary is not going up 7 times the amount.

It doesn't. Its called the slide rule. Players under 20 can play in the AHL without burning a year so long as they don't play 10 NHL games.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014

Have to agree. If he was already NHL ready he would have went top 3.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I would like to see him go to the CHL for a year, he did play against men last year but its not like he dominated them. He would get a chance to play top minutes to adjust to the smaller ice in Mississauga and would still be able to make the jump next year to the NHL.

He was a PPG+ in Södertälje, which is a men's league.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It doesn't. Its called the slide rule. Players under 20 can play in the AHL without burning a year so long as they don't play 10 NHL games.

Players burn years off their ELC in the A without playing in the NHL so the slide rule is only for players 19 or under? I'm not home so I will take your word for it!

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
It'd be nice to see Nylander hit 95-100 points with Mississauga, but I think the AHL will be better for his development.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Players burn years off their ELC in the A without playing in the NHL so the slide rule is only for players 19 or under? I'm not home so I will take your word for it!

You are clueless here. Under new CBA rules, players from Europe and US can play in AHL without using their ELC. You have 4 years of control over them. It's something for their development. You can chose how and where you want your player to be developed.

CHL is gonna have hard time with this new rule.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
It'd be nice to see Nylander hit 95-100 points with Mississauga, but I think the AHL will be better for his development.

95-100 could be a stretch. We aren't that good yet plus not a lot of finishers on the team.

70-80 is a for sure though if he's as skilled as everyone says.

Would definatley be our go to guy and key offensive player.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
95-100 could be a stretch. We aren't that good yet plus not a lot of finishers on the team.

70-80 is a for sure though if he's as skilled as everyone says.

Would definatley be our go to guy and key offensive player.

You decide for yourself whether he is skilled or not.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Well except for Tavares most of the guys who made it to the NHL after their draft have all been great skaters. Skinner (picked 7th in -10), Fowler (picked 12th in -10), Couturier (picked 8th in -11), Nichushkin (10th in -13). If there was one knock on Kadri when he got drafted it was the he needed to get physically stronger (had not yet a pro training program he stuck to) and that he needed to move his feet better.

Nylander just had a draft combine thats not only visually showed (the boy is ripped) that he is serious about working out, but he also had 7 top 10 results in the different tests. 2 of those was best of them all, by a wide margin. Based on his skating alone he could play in the NHL. Add in other factors as already having played as a semi-pro/pro in Sweden for the the last couple of years.

Question is if his game is ready to translate to the NHL. If it is and we will soon find out seeing as he will probably be given his 8 games or so to start the season then I can see him sticking around.

Kadri had to take all his talent and become a pro player. I dont think that is an issue with Nylander, he already is.

Why he dropped down to us at 8th I dont know. Time will tell but I am feeling pretty confident that in a few years when fans redo the 2014 draft, Nylander will be top of a lot of lists.

Edit: But yeah, I probably said the same thing about Kadri... :)

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
You decide for yourself whether he is skilled or not.

I'm not saying he's not skilled. Those clips are great. Just wanted to say that the lack of finishers and scorers on the Steelheads roster now may limit point production.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I'm not saying he's not skilled. Those clips are great. Just wanted to say that the lack of finishers and scorers on the Steelheads roster now may limit point production.

I was going to say, aren't they pretty brutal now?

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I was going to say, aren't they pretty brutal now?

Young growing team with top 98's in Day and McLeod. Need a go to offensive guy who can set up and finish. Nylander would def be that if Leafs feel they want him to spend a year in CHL.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
I was actually shocked he was picked so high because of this. 13 for a guy who has about a 5% chance of coming over.... HUGE risk, massive reward.

Not really, there isn't a huge amount of talent available in most import drafts, and the talent that is there usually decides to only come over the NA for to play pro. 2 picks after Mississauga was the first 'pass' of the draft. Usually only 2-3 guys from each draft will actually play come over and play for their team.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
The only reason I'd like him to play in the CHL is to better compare him to his draft peers. It's probably better for his development to play pro in Sweden/AHL though.

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
Let him stay in Sweden and develop there. He'll get stronger and Thommie Bergman is an excellent ambassador for the Leafs-- he'll convey what the team feels he needs to work on. It's important for teenagers to stay in a familiar environment while they become more comfortable with an independent lifestyle.

The following season, 2015-16, is when he should make the move to North America and play with the Marlies for a year or two. Keeping him out of the limelight and allowing him to work on his abilities over time will only result in a better player when he eventually makes the jump to the NHL.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Young growing team with top 98's in Day and McLeod. Need a go to offensive guy who can set up and finish. Nylander would def be that if Leafs feel they want him to spend a year in CHL.

Yeah definitely knew Day was there. Read about how he seemed to struggle at times because he had to run the show quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00