Prospect Info: William Nylander drafted by Mississauga

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Interesting option.

Playing in Mississauga certainly wouldnt be the worst thing. A team anchored by 95's and 96's should be much stronger next season. Perhaps if Nylander struggles early in the 'A'.

However, I think Nylander in the AHL would be the bets option right now

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Why was he picked so low? Team's didn't want to pick him in the top 3 because he likely won't play in the OHL?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Likely won't be there. Is a step down from the SHL.

He'll likely be in the AHL

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
If he is shown he is dominating the OHL, can he be moved up to the AHL or is he stuck there for the year if he goes?

Yup.

The "CHL until you turn 20" rule only applies if you are DRAFTED out of the CHL. Two best examples I can give are John Carlson and Jeremy Morin.

Carlson played for London the year after being drafted, then moved up to play in Hershey (where he off course ended up scoring game winning WJC goal, and ended the year in Washington)

Morin played for Kitchener after being drafted than moved up to Rockford next season.

As pointed out though, the OHL is a massive step down from the SHL. Carlson and Morin had gone to the OHL from the US

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
If he is shown he is dominating the OHL, can he be moved up to the AHL or is he stuck there for the year if he goes?

Yea, I'm fairly sure that if he's assigned to the CHL then he has to play out his season before stepping into the AHL. His only other option to opt out would be if he were to go back to play in Sweden or elsewhere in Europe.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Why was he picked so low? Team's didn't want to pick him in the top 3 because he likely won't play in the OHL?

I was actually shocked he was picked so high because of this. 13 for a guy who has about a 5% chance of coming over.... HUGE risk, massive reward.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Just stumbled upon this as well.

Interesting pick. Gamble for Mississauga but it might just pay off. It's another option for the Leafs and one that I wouldn't mind. They could always call him up but I think one season in the OHL would really benefit him. And it is very close by so keep tabs on him.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
he needs to play in the ahl. playing against men is much more beneficial to his development than teen boys.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Dumb pick by Mississauga. Don't see any reason why the Leafs would want him to play in the OHL. He already was PPG in Tier 2 Swedish mens league, and put up respectable numbers in the SEL...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
More options availalbe now.

In prioirty.

1) Leafs
2) Marlies
3) SEL
4) OHL

Not likely to end up in Mississauga baring some real struggles on his part to play pro in the AHL and Leafs not wanting his to return to Sweden.

Never say never as Leafs demoted Tlusty to the CHL from the AHL for development purposes but the SEL is a lot stronger then Czech league for development purposes.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I would like to see him go to the CHL for a year, he did play against men last year but its not like he dominated them. He would get a chance to play top minutes to adjust to the smaller ice in Mississauga and would still be able to make the jump next year to the NHL.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I would like to see him go to the CHL for a year, he did play against men last year but its not like he dominated them. He would get a chance to play top minutes to adjust to the smaller ice in Mississauga and would still be able to make the jump next year to the NHL.

Nylander spent the first 15 years of his life playing on the smaller ice surface.

He's not your typical Swedish draft pick.

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
Why would he go back and play with boys when he's playing with men now? it doesn't seem to be in his best interest development wise just a waste of a pick.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander spent the first 15 years of his life playing on the smaller ice surface.

He's not your typical Swedish draft pick.

Yes, not sure how long he played but he did play in the GTHL as a kid.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Not happening. The bigger question is will he stay in Canada to play in the AHL or go home. Playing in the AHL burns a year off of his ELC and I thinking that will be the tough question the Leafs would be faced with if he does not make the team out of camp . I see him playing games at the start of the season in the NHL as a possibility if he is close before the Leafs decide.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not happening. The bigger question is will he stay in Canada to play in the AHL or go home. Playing in the AHL burns a year off of his ELC and I thinking that will be the tough question the Leafs would be faced with if he does not make the team out of camp . I see him playing games at the start of the season in the NHL as a possibility if he is close before the Leafs decide.

I believe in his interview Nylander said he will go wherever the Leafs want him to go.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Playing in the AHL as a under 20 player does not burn years of the ELC.

But even so, it is not the Riellys and Nylanders of the hockey world we should hope to have on the cheap for a few years. It is the Biggs and Ashtons.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I dont see any scenario where playing in the CHL would be a good idea for him. He's been playing against men for awhile already, lets continue that.

Sending him to the OHL to develop is about as good an idea as sending Rielly to the AHL to develop.

Last edited:

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
he will take 3 years before he plays in the nhl. see kadri, who was better at his age

Was Kadri better than William Nylander at his age? I'd like to know how you came to that opinion. You must've seen a lot of Nylander playing in Sweden as they regularly show a variety of Swedish league games from various tiers on television here in Canada.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I can't envision a player with Swedish Elite League experience playing in the OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad