Tribute William Nylander Discussion Thread: Ya Gotta Be Blessed Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Making a lot of people eat some serious crow and that's the best kind of crow. Glad Dubas stuck with him and didn't panic trade away a top end talent like that.

Funny enough that if Nylander had pulled what Marner did on the 2nd goal against last night, he would be crucified and we'd have to read about 50 trade proposals and national news clips of that play. It's weird how it works sometimes.

I hope he can keep the hot hand down the stretch.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Making a lot of people eat some serious crow and that's the best kind of crow. Glad Dubas stuck with him and didn't panic trade away a top end talent like that.

Funny enough that if Nylander had pulled what Marner did on the 2nd goal against, he would be crucified and we'd have to read about 50 trade proposals and national news clips of that play. It's weird how it works sometimes.

I want to trade him now more than ever.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
the way he is going i wouldn't doubt if he doubles 35 and ends up with a half and half for at least 70 points... every time i look at his stats this year it has constantly been doubleing his numbers he nows sitting at a cool 28 goals and 28 assists

I knew he had 30 goals in him, but I'm surprised with his assist totals. He usually hits 40 and I know he has the potential to hit 50. With a fair coach like Keefe I think Nylander hits a ppg next season. Thank God we got some cap savings from at least one of our big 4 :naughty:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Funny enough that if Nylander had pulled what Marner did on the 2nd goal against, he would be crucified and we'd have to read about 50 trade proposals and national news clips of that play. It's weird how it works sometimes.

You keep mentioning that abysmal play by JT up the wall and blaming Marner, it's kind of bizarre. I wish everyone would get over the intellectually tired and boring Marner/Nylander debate, Marner has been crucified on these boards, so this "double standard" nonsense is just that. Pure fiction, and if you don't believe me, put on your reading glasses, because it's easily digested here.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I noticed that on the 2nd goal. He looked gassed, I assumed he wasn't able to change with the rest of his line.
Any idea how long his shift was at that point?

Nylander did make a habit of indifferent play in the past, probably why some mentioned it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You keep mentioning that abysmal play by JT up the wall and blaming Marner, it's kind of bizarre. I wish everyone would get over the boring Marner/Nylander debate, Marner has been crucified on these boards, so this "double standard" nonsense is just that. Pure fiction, and if you don't believe me, put on your reading glasses, because it's easily digested here.

What? Marner literally looked at the play at the boards, didn't skate at all and watched the play unfold. This was all on him because had he gotten to the puck at the half wall, the play is dead and the puck is likely chipped out. He was at the end of his shift and was tired. Nylander misses one assignment or whatever and people go down the rabbit hole of how he doesn't care. Not just from the few fans here, I mean from the mainstream media.

I'm not trying to debate both players. I want to keep both players and I think they are both players that should be Maple Leafs for life. Just showing the innate double standard and hypocrisy of some people when discussing the "hard working" players and Nylander always being at the top of the list of "lazy" players.

Let me know when Marner gets "crucified" on HNIC and every sports show in Canada game after game, week after week. I'll wait. It won't happen though.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You keep mentioning that abysmal play by JT up the wall and blaming Marner, it's kind of bizarre. I wish everyone would get over the intellectually tired and boring Marner/Nylander debate, Marner has been crucified on these boards, so this "double standard" nonsense is just that. Pure fiction, and if you don't believe me, put on your reading glasses, because it's easily digested here.
You're right, the double standard is a little bizarre.
Not sure why it's so hard to just be honest.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I think people point the double standard towards to media rather than this board. Jeff O'neill is really the only media person I have seen call out Marner for his non-engaged play this season.

I mean earlier in the season Burke had a segment on nylander because his dump in was stopped by a goalie. Like really? That happens in a game several times, but they choose to randomly pick it out for nylander just to bash him?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What? Marner literally looked at the play at the boards, didn't skate at all and watched the play unfold. This was all on him because had he gotten to the puck at the half wall, the play is dead and the puck is likely chipped out. He was at the end of his shift and was tired. Nylander misses one assignment or whatever and people go down the rabbit hole of how he doesn't care. Not just from the few fans here, I mean from the mainstream media.

I'm not trying to debate both players. I want to keep both players and I think they are both players that should be Maple Leafs for life. Just showing the innate double standard and hypocrisy of some people when discussing the "hard working" players and Nylander always being at the top of the list of "lazy" players.

Let me know when Marner gets "crucified" on HNIC and every sports show in Canada game after game, week after week. I'll wait. It won't happen though.
JT made a horrible play on the boards and you didn't even mention it? He wasn't getting to that puck.

I will grant you a disconnect with media. Here's my take, Marner has built up a lot of capital with the "pros", so he gets a long leash. He's earned that, because of his effort. Nylander has to overcome past perceptions and he is, brilliantly. Nylander has built up a lot of "free pass" from me this year, if he has a bad game, whatever, overall he's been awesome I cut him some slack. It's also the same reason I don't have the pitchforks out for Mitch, he's proven to me he cares and works hard, if he's having a tough time, I give him slack. That doesn't equate to not acknowledging he's been playing like pure ass of late, but I have full confidence he will bounce back. Sort of like Andersen, a proven commodity in some sense. Nylander is getting there, if not already.

Anyways, I just found last night so toxic here, we're winning and people are still taking partisan jabs. This place isn't a good look, I think a lot of us want to fight old battles and agendas, rather than honest debate. I'll gladly discuss Marner, but its mostly immature nonsense and it always seems to be a Willie/Mitch thing, again the boring old arguments. Move forward, not you, but this place that finds fault with everyone except their own pedestrian world visions.

On to Florida, keep it up Willie, you've become the force I always felt capable!!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think people point the double standard towards to media rather than this board. Jeff O'neill is really the only media person I have seen call out Marner for his non-engaged play this season.

I mean earlier in the season Burke had a segment on nylander because his dump in was stopped by a goalie. Like really? That happens in a game several times, but they choose to randomly pick it out for nylander just to bash him?
That's fair to some extent. Nylander has to overcome past perceptions, based on a certain reality. I think he's done just that, his defensive effort is unparalleled this year. Nylander is a strong man, he can dominate on the wall too and he is, also out front. It's just been a joy to watch.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

now that is impressive, there is just no way in hell he can be called overpaid at this point. And he is pushing into underpaid territory if we are being honest. Assuming of course he keeps up this pace, and becomes a 30-45 75~ point player. Now his pace under keefe of 96 points im not convinced he will get that in a full season but if he ever does he'd have to enter best contract in the league territory

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
now that is impressive, there is just no way in hell he can be called overpaid at this point. And he is pushing into underpaid territory if we are being honest. Assuming of course he keeps up this pace, and becomes a 30-45 75~ point player. Now his pace under keefe of 96 points im not convinced he will get that in a full season but if he ever does he'd have to enter best contract in the league territory

At his production this year, it's a clear underpayment. His market value at this production is probably similar to the $9m x 8 that Jeff Skinner got.

Now, Willie has been great, but even I think 40 goal pace is a little over his head.

Overall, I think he's an $8m player with a $6.9m cap-hit, so yes, a bargain.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

That’s so true, only a few media personnel defend and appreciate Willie. But it seems like everyone defend Marner esp those Toronto based former players.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think Leafsnation just love to blame and crap on someone. Just so happened Babs didn’t like Willie too.

Reactions: Walshy7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad