Speculation: William Karlsson/VGK salary arbitration filings Player ask: $6.5M Team offer: $3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Vegas is smart for not initially wanting to overpay him. I don't think he will repeat the 40 goal season. Probably around 20-25 goals is where he fits. He isn't worth $6.5m, $4.5m is fair for him.

That's quite a guess. Any NHL player would score 25 goals if centering last seasons Marchessault and Smith. Not to mention, in the whole NHL history, there has only been couple of cases with that kind of scoring slumps (and I don't remember either of them). 20 goals would mean a slump of -23 goals... He would practically have to lose half of his brains to manage to slump that hard.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I know if you sign a UFA you have to wait until later in the season to re-sign them (January?), but say WK gets a 1 year arb deal and the sides agree to a contract in like 2 months, can he sign a long term deal with them since he was with the team last year or does he have to wait?

all one year contracts wait until January for signing a new contract.

Personally I would have offered something around $3M with the verbal agreement of we will pay you higher if we see that last year wasn't a surprise year.

Reactions: lwvs84

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
If I was Karlsson, I would had immediately told VGK to **** off and go for a 2 year deal to go UFA as they clearly doesn't appreciate him.
Around 40 goals and 80 pts for 3.5 is an insult and there is no player in the history of the NHL who has said "Sure, I scored 40 goals but I'm fine with 4 million/year". Every player that has done even less than that with poor track record has been paid a ton.
When the cap was way lower David Clarckson got 5.25 multi year deal and he had scored 30 goals once in his entire career.
Sure, it was a bad contract but I can find tons of those.
How many contracts can I find for a player that has scored 40 goals at 4 million?
I know the answer to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: djeck42

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
If I was Karlsson, I would had immediately told VGK to **** off and go for a 2 year deal to go UFA as they clearly doesn't appreciate him.
Around 40 goals and 80 pts for 3.5 is an insult and there is no player in the history of the NHL who has said "Sure, I scored 40 goals but I'm fine with 4 million/year". Every player that has done even less than that with poor track record has been paid a ton.
When the cap was way lower David Clarckson got 5.25 multi year deal and he had scored 30 goals once in his entire career.
Sure, it was a bad contract but I can find tons of those.
How many contracts can I find for a player that has scored 40 goals at 4 million?
I know the answer to that.

Sir I present you Jason Blake :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Leino and Blake got insane contracts, even though being horrible one way players to begin with. Blake's slump was also not really his fault.

Looking at the arbitration of WK... just shows how undervalued 2-way players still are.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Stall is 34 soon. Haula is 27, Tuch just became 22.

You know those are all wild players, right? We've been watching them for years...

Find a price for a 40 goal player. Examples: Laine, Sequin, Malkin, Hall, McKinnon, Kucherov.

Find a price for above centers for 2 years at 3.5mil AAV. Basically Malkin/McKinnon at 3.5mil.

I think you might be a little new in the hockey, so cheers. Have a good one.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Hmm, i think Karlssons demand is very low. I would more understand if that was vegas offer and Karlsson wanted a couple of millions more.

If i was Karlsson i would have seen vegas offer as very offensive, like they do not appreciate what he has done for them.

But in a way a 1 year contract could be the best, then he can show if it was a fluke or not, but then i would have left Vegas if i was Karlsson . But 6.5M is very low and low risk in, vegas should be all over that.

Last edited:

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I think VGK is smart here. I believe he becomes a 20-20 player going forward, which is good, not great.

Maybe but even then he is still worth more than 3.5, plus they can show some appreciation after he has been probably the biggest single reason why they had great regular season and played in a very surprisingly SC final, with a team that was on paper the worsed team in league going into the season.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Ive never seen someone be more undervalued/underrated in a thread before

This is a bizzare thread to read thru

I was thinking over valued....am i missing something?.

There is no way Karlsson is worth crazy money what they are asking.
3,5 mill is what he is worth, he can go ask big bucks elsewhere.

I don't see Knights&McPhee accepting anything than 3,5.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
McPhee once again doing the thing where he goes to the cup finals his first year as GM and spends the next 15 years pissing everyone off and crippling his organization with unforced errors.

Reactions: Aurinko and djeck42

djeck42

Jan 26, 2011
The way players are getting paid now and days, 3.5 is way to low. Even if its the first time he put up monster numbers; 40 goals and being one of the top two way forwards this season is impressive. I think he will have a drop in production but even putting up 25 goals deserves at least 5 mil. Its not a long term contract and you have the cap space, so show some appreciation for the talent that arose. As a young franchise, you want to be an attractive destination for players and doesnt look good low-balling one of the players that helped bring success early on. 1 or 2 years at say $6 or $7 mil as a show me contract looks a lot better than the $3.5 mil if he repeats his numbers. But I also thought Vegas was going to do horrible and still dont get how they did so well, so GMGM knows what hes doing more than me

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I was thinking over valued....am i missing something?.

There is no way Karlsson is worth crazy money what they are asking.
3,5 mill is what he is worth, he can go ask big bucks elsewhere.

I don't see Knights&McPhee accepting anything than 3,5.
3.5 are you insane? 43 goals and +49 last season. Mcphee just fire himself. He is the greediest and worst GM in history.

Reactions: Iceman

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
If he proves he is actually 40 goal scorer as opposed to a guy who simply had one 40 goal season in him, then 6.5 is a bargain.

It will be interesting to see how he produces this coming season. His shooting percentage was out of this world, but at the same time, he looks to be a very good player, even if it means more like 25 goals is his norm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad