Speculation: William Karlsson next contract

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
25 year old center with 24 goals 14 assists 38 points in 44 games so far this season with Vegas and is on his final year of a 2 year contract that was for 1 million each year.

What do you think he will get on his next contract?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
depends how he finishes the season and how his playoffs go. foolish to give him a bug contract after half a season

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Is he 1 or two years away from UFA status? If the latter then it's probably best to give him a reasonable bridge deal, like 2 years/$6M . Gives him a 3x pay increase, if he's worth more then he can cash in on free agency sooner, players usually resign with their existing teams here, and if not the team isn't on the hook for a long term deal.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
well i think it could go a few ways. Maybe they offer him a Marchessault contract or maybe he bets on himself and takes a short deal at lower money trying to cash in when that is up, either way he will be making more then 1mil a year

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I agree. He needs to finish the year before determining a contract value. If he doesn't fall off a cliff I could see him getting 4 or 5 years around $4M AAV.
i see him getting a contract just a little worse than marchasseault's. maybe like 6 yr, 27 mil or something

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Is he 1 or two years away from UFA status? If the latter then it's probably best to give him a reasonable bridge deal, like 2 years/$6M . Gives him a 3x pay increase, if he's worth more then he can cash in on free agency sooner, players usually resign with their existing teams here, and if not the team isn't on the hook for a long term deal.
two years. i think its smarter to get him signed long term at a reasonable aav because thats better than signing a 27 yr old to a long term deal

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I wonder how much his 25% shooting percentage is going to play into things. Currently he's on pace for 44.7g and 70.8pts. However if his shooting percentage drops, so do the goals. IF he were shooting at 17% (something a lot more sustainable), he wouldn't even be on pace for 30g.

My point isn't to debate how well he can shoot going forward and whether or not he can sustain it... it's about what he can do year over year, and how much either party is willing to gamble.

He has 2 years left before he's a UFA. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see one of two things happen.
1) LV signs him to the longest cheapest AAV contract they can - think Wennberg style. And then pray like f*** that he plays close to what he has this year for the duration of that contract.
2) LV signs him (or takes him to arbitration) for a 1 yr deal. He will still be a RFA after it. That allows them to gather more info and see whether this year was a fluke or not. If it isn't... then while it will cost them more down the road, at least they'll have some certainty that it's money well spent, vs betting the house on a player with little history to back it up.

Personally, unless he's signing for 5m, I'd do the 1 yr deal and deal with the consequences down the road.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

2 years. 25 this July 1st, 26 next July 1st - then FA after that.

Why would LV do that? If they give him a 2 yr deal, he holds ALL the cards. He can bend them over backwards for a 7m+ contract or say f*** it and test FA (or force LV to sell him). Signing him to a 2 yr deal is about the worst move they can make.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I wonder how much his 25% shooting percentage is going to play into things. Currently he's on pace for 44.7g and 70.8pts. However if his shooting percentage drops, so do the goals. IF he were shooting at 17% (something a lot more sustainable), he wouldn't even be on pace for 30g.

My point isn't to debate how well he can shoot going forward and whether or not he can sustain it... it's about what he can do year over year, and how much either party is willing to gamble.

He has 2 years left before he's a UFA. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see one of two things happen.
1) LV signs him to the longest cheapest AAV contract they can - think Wennberg style. And then pray like **** that he plays close to what he has this year for the duration of that contract.
2) LV signs him (or takes him to arbitration) for a 1 yr deal. He will still be a RFA after it. That allows them to gather more info and see whether this year was a fluke or not. If it isn't... then while it will cost them more down the road, at least they'll have some certainty that it's money well spent, vs betting the house on a player with little history to back it up.

Personally, unless he's signing for 5m, I'd do the 1 yr deal and deal with the consequences down the road.

If he had been shooting at the same % as last year, he'd have 6 goals right now instead of 24. That is a huge f***ing increase

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Wouldn't feel comfortable giving him 4m long term after half a season, even though he's one of their best forwards right now. He'll probably get a 3.75m 'show me' 1 year deal if his 2nd half is even close to his current production.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
One to two year deal if he wants big money. You can't pay out long term to a 26% shooting percentage. He needs to prove this year wasn't a fluke

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
4 x 6 million. He isn't a PPG player but could be a consistent 55-60 point player per year.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Tough situation for Vegas , with alot of their guys. Have to be careful with contracts, only to see those guys regress and never live up to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad