Speculation: William Karlsson next contract

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
1 year, $5 million.

Put up another 30+ goals and he might be looking at 6-8 years at $7-$8; drop down to 20-25 and he could still probably get 4-6 years at $5-$6.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
1 year, $5 million.

Put up another 30+ goals and he might be looking at 6-8 years at $7-$8; drop down to 20-25 and he could still probably get 4-6 years at $5-$6.

Makes the most sense. As I said, only way I see Vegas going long term NOW is around 5M. Otherwise, may as well let Karlsson prove it next year.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
No way Karlsson will take 1 year 5 million at this point. He is past the potential stage and has proven he can deliver. If they want to bridge deal him it is going to cost at least 6.5 a year.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
If I'm LV I'd offer 1y 7 per and look what he will do the next year and then go long term. Or they will offer him the same deal his linemates got which means 5m and 5-7y but I can not see him accepting that.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
They have to be careful young players like Karlsson going into contract year after a huge single season are players and contract negotiations that can ether set up a team long term or create a boat anchor going forward.

They’d be smart to get a bridge deal out of him, figure out what number he’ll cost for two seasons, then pay him accordingly afterwards. If you long term him after this season you have no idea what the ultimate outcome would be.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
25 year old William Karlsson is continuing his uberstar ways, this will be his 3rd contract, so I doubt he'll want a bridge contract, he'll want what he deserves.

He leads one of the best teams in the league, was the 3rd highest goal scorer in the NHL & is leading all Vegas forwards in ice time in the playoffs while avg a point a game.

His agent could demand Jack Eichel type money or Leon Draisaitl, but will likely settle with Evgeny Kuznetsov or Ryan Johansen type cash.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I would give him $8M/7Y on an offer sheet from San Jose if we strike out on Tavares, but we won’t have our 2nd or 1st round pick in 2019, depending on what happens with Evander Kane. But that wouldn’t be too hard to get back.

Doug Wilson has been known to offer sheet players on teams that defeated his Sharks. He offer sheeted Hjalmarsson in 2010, and when Chicago matched, they were forced to let go of Niemi, who San Jose promptly signed in UFA.

Reactions: Papa Joe19 and skyo

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
I would give him $8M/7Y on an offer sheet from San Jose if we strike out on Tavares, but we won’t have our 2nd or 1st round pick in 2019, depending on what happens with Evander Kane.

Doug Wilson has been known to offer sheet players on teams that defeated his Sharks. He offer sheeted Hjalmarsson in 2010, and when Chicago matched, they were forced to let go of Niemi, who San Jose promptly signed in UFA.

I can see some team offer sheeting William Karlsson like $8.5M per.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So what do we now think about William Karlsson's next contract? How much would Vegas be signing him for? How much do you think would be fair value for him? How much do you think he'll get in arbitration?

I'm convinced his season was mostly a fluke but he's probably going to be arguing otherwise in his negotiations. I'm curious about where he'll end up.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I want Winnipeg to offer-sheet him a big contract to mess with Vegas. But at the same time I don't because it'd be risky if he doesn't produce like he did last year.

It will almost be as if we traded Stastny to Vegas for Karlsson.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
So what do we now think about William Karlsson's next contract? How much would Vegas be signing him for? How much do you think would be fair value for him? How much do you think he'll get in arbitration?

I'm convinced his season was mostly a fluke but he's probably going to be arguing otherwise in his negotiations. I'm curious about where he'll end up.

I guess he fluked his way into dominating Kopitar in the playoffs as well (not to mention being great all the way to the SCF)

An arbitrator might give him 5m for 1 year, so I think he could sign a 2 year deal worth 5mAAV to match his linemates salary. He can re-up for 8 years 7-8m after that.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I want Winnipeg to offer-sheet him a big contract to mess with Vegas. But at the same time I don't because it'd be risky if he doesn't produce like he did last year.

It will almost be as if we traded Stastny to Vegas for Karlsson.

A. He's in arbitration, doesn't that mean he can no longer be offer sheeted?

B. You couldn't afford Stastny at 6.5 so you couldn't afford to realistically offer sheet Karlsson anything huge, if he would even sign it.

C. Don't know why you would want to "mess" with Vegas. Did nothing wrong signing UFA Stastny. Didn't even overpay for him in money or term. Someone would have given him that contract, Winnipeg would never have re-signed him unless every other team agreed to not sign him so the Jets could get him for cheap. And Winnipeg knew that and didn't seem too bothered.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Jeez, as a Jackets fan, the idea of giving Wild Bill a 7year/$8m contract as suggested in here, is pretty incomprehensible.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
5.5-6 x 4 years. A 7-8 year deal is too long for one great year but 2 years is too little for a 40 goal scorer. Right in the middle seems fair

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
In the past 102 games he’s scored 50 goals, 93 points while being a rock defensively. Some risks are worth taking this is one of them. If they can lock him up for around 6.000, 8 years I say do it. 48M is more than he thought he’d ever see in his life and even if he does regress it’s the going rate for an average second line centre.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
In the past 102 games he’s scored 50 goals, 93 points while being a rock defensively. Some risks are worth taking this is one of them. If they can lock him up for around 6.000, 8 years I say do it. 48M is more than he thought he’d ever see in his life and even if he does regress it’s the going rate for an average second line centre.

I agree. I would even do 6.5x8. He would only be 33 at the end of it.

Even if he regresses to a 55-60 point center (unlikely to go any lower, especially playing with Marchessault and Smith) with elite defensive forward play then that contract wouldn't be bad. Especially with a rising cap.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I guess he fluked his way into dominating Kopitar in the playoffs as well (not to mention being great all the way to the SCF)

An arbitrator might give him 5m for 1 year, so I think he could sign a 2 year deal worth 5mAAV to match his linemates salary. He can re-up for 8 years 7-8m after that.
As an overall player he's been good and that obviously shouldn't go, I mean his offensive production. I expect his level to be that of around a 60p 30+30 guy. But I feel like he might not be happy with that after scoring over 40 goals.

Myself, I think a 6x8 or so might be fair considering the cap and all but I feel like he'll be wanting 8x8.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
3 Full NHL Seasons:
Shooting % 2015-16 - 8.3%
Shooting % 2016-17 - 6.3%
Shooting % 2017-18 - 23.4%

I love this player and would go long term but I don't think that's sustainable. I'd want to pay him as a 30 goal scorer, not a 40+ goal scorer.

So...$7.5 x 5?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
His shooting % was almost 24% this year, that is insane, Laine's average over the last 2 years is 18%.

The last 2 years before this one WK shot at about 7.4%. Let's say he regresses to a 14% (almost double his career average before this year and a little below his average if you include this year). He would have scored 26 goals. Now assuming him being less of a scoring threat slightly reduces how many passes he gets through (let's say 90% of last year's occur). Reducing his assist total to 32.

That gives you 26 goals and 32 assists while being borderline elite defensively. Congrats you have a 25 year old Ryan O'Reilly. Long term at 6.5 - 7 million is probably fair. Considering the risk he regresses more than the 14% prediction is quite possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad