Prospect Info: William Carrier (2014 via trade) ‎– '16-17: Buffalo #48 (NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I think Carrier can be for us what Bryan Rust is for the penguins, except I think Carrier will end up the better player of the 2.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So, in other words, a career 4th liner.

No, that's in your words.

Shawn Thornton is a career 4th liner. There is no utlity, no reason, no benefit to playing him anywhere else in the lineup.

There's a difference between Shawn Thornton and Trevor Lewis

This is probably a tough concept to grasp if your view of what a player is, is entirely driven by points or offensive skills that are visible to the laymen. But there's simply more to hockey than that.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
No, that's in your words.

Shawn Thornton is a career 4th liner. There is no utlity, no reason, no benefit to playing him anywhere else in the lineup.

There's a difference between Shawn Thornton and Trevor Lewis

This is probably a tough concept to grasp if your view of what a player is, is entirely driven by points or offensive skills that are visible to the laymen. But there's simply more to hockey than that.

James, this crap is completely unnecessary.

When I watch Carrier play, I see a guy that fits in the Gaustad/Mair type of mold. A guy that can kill some penalties, and has minimal usefulness inside of the top 9. If we are rolling Carrier out there on the third line on a consistent basis, then our farm system has failed us.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

When I watch Carrier play, I see a guy that fits in the Gaustad/Mair type of mold. A guy that can kill some penalties, and has minimal usefulness outside of the top 9. If we are rolling Carrier out there on the third line on a consistent basis, then our farm system has failed us.

Sorry I don't waste time with the subtlety ("so in other words...")... I also don't take offense to it.

I don't think you see so good...

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Dude draws penalties better than anyone else on the team outside of Jack, in my opinion. Plus he's fast and forechecks HARD. He has tremendous value. He also has the ability to get under the other team's skin without being too dirty. Even if he is bottom six that has a LOT of value. There are a few teams with great top six but nothing below them. Teams that go far in the playoffs can roll four lines. Carrier's built for that game.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
What makes Carrier a better/different player than either of those 2?

Speed, puck skill, forechecking, offensive zone awareness, transition and possession hockey, etc

we generate a much better corsi with him on the ice, on any line, for a reason...

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Speed, puck skill, forechecking, offensive zone awareness, transition and possession hockey, etc

we generate a much better corsi with him on the ice, on any line, for a reason...

I'll give you speed.

Fore-checking, offensive zone awareness, transition are very debatable. I fail to see how he is superior to Mair or Gaustad in any of those areas.

Corsi stats don't really do much for me considering how this team is a corsi disaster.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
The #1 thing Carrier has going for him is that he was hand picked by TM in the Miller trade ... that right there gives him an advantage of being a Murray guy.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
On a properly constructed team, Carrier is a bottom 6 guy who can play up the lineup when needed (injuries, need to spark the lineup, etc.). Every contending team needs guys like that in the lineup. It's called quality depth.

If you can fill your bottom 6 with guys like that and thus not have to resort to the Deslauriers of the world, you'll be in good shape. Just because Carrier won't be a world-beater does not mean he can't be an important piece of the puzzle.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'll give you speed.

Fore-checking, offensive zone awareness, transition are very debatable. I fail to see how he is superior to Mair or Gaustad in any of those areas.

Corsi stats don't really do much for me considering how this team is a corsi disaster

Interesting disconnect

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
Bottom 6 are people too.

As discussed, Carrier is another tool that can moved up and down the line up as needed. Certainly, he has limited top-6 upside but if you want to roll 4 lines, he's a valuable asset.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What makes Carrier a better/different player than either of those 2?

Better? It's the combination of his awareness in all 3 zones and his speed and strength to close the gap on the opposing player that had the puck to either tie them up or knock them off the puck much more efficiently than Mair and Gaustad were able to. Gaustad was a beast in front of the net, but he had the same traits that Foligno has right now where when he forechecked he was too slow to make a play on the puck if it isn't near him already, and the result is a useless body check after the guy makes the play. Mair had the speed to be able to forecheck, but not the strength to really knock guys off the puck. Carrier has what we liked about Gaustad/Mair but puts it together and adds more.

Different? Carrier's game is best suited along the walls. Whether that's in the offensive zone, defensive zone, or neutral zone. He's one of our best wingers at getting the puck out of the zone by working his way out and not passing it off the boards and losing possession as his primary option. Because of this ability, he's a defenseman's best friend when they play it around the boards.

Gaustad's best game is being a 3rd defenseman, covering for when guys make a pinch, and needs to cover his man in the defensive zone. In the Neutral zone he was best suited as a support player to go in and be the 3rd guy in the corner when it was thrown in. In the offensive zone, he was the guy in front.

Mair, was the roamer of the 4th line, that picked up the open guys and brought a different type of jam that Gaustad and Carrier do. He wasn't the strongest, and wouldn't go through anybody but he was a decent support player that worked hard in the corners.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
He reminds me of a slightly less defensively aware Mike Grier but with more offensive tools. I appreciate that he is a Swiss knife kind of player that can slide next to almost anyone and compliment their game in that he likes to do the yeoman's work on his line.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Dude draws penalties better than anyone else on the team outside of Jack, in my opinion. Plus he's fast and forechecks HARD. He has tremendous value. He also has the ability to get under the other team's skin without being too dirty. Even if he is bottom six that has a LOT of value. There are a few teams with great top six but nothing below them. Teams that go far in the playoffs can roll four lines. Carrier's built for that game.

On a properly constructed team, Carrier is a bottom 6 guy who can play up the lineup when needed (injuries, need to spark the lineup, etc.). Every contending team needs guys like that in the lineup. It's called quality depth.

If you can fill your bottom 6 with guys like that and thus not have to resort to the Deslauriers of the world, you'll be in good shape. Just because Carrier won't be a world-beater does not mean he can't be an important piece of the puzzle.

He reminds me of a slightly less defensively aware Mike Grier but with more offensive tools. I appreciate that he is a Swiss knife kind of player that can slide next to almost anyone and compliment their game in that he likes to do the yeoman's work on his line.

So, um .... a 4th liner. :sarcasm:

Poor guy never had a chance. He's doomed for the 4th line, 7 mins a night. He's peaked in his development. :loony:

Carrier will be up and down the lineup most likely. Unless he continues to develop and surpasses even the biggest of supporters. That would be sweet!

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011

When I watch Carrier play, I see a guy that fits in the Gaustad/Mair type of mold. A guy that can kill some penalties, and has minimal usefulness inside of the top 9. If we are rolling Carrier out there on the third line on a consistent basis, then our farm system has failed us.

Sorry to break it to you, but you're misjudging Carrier. He's got all the tools to be a very useful middle 6 player with the skill and tenacity to have the opposing defense back on their heels. I suppose if he had 10 goals instead of 4 you'd agree.

Deleted member 27798

IMO Carrier is a 3rd/4th line tweener who should be a Sabre for at least the next 5 years. I am so sick of seeing crap on the 4th line. He is the perfect 4th liner(and don't tell me they are easy to find). He has good size, can skate, hit & has some skill. In other words, he is everything that Deslauriers is not.

His only downside...he has battled injuries a lot throughout his career.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
We had to give away a pick to get them to take Carrier. Oh well. This expansion means we got Beaulieu for Carrier, a third and a sixth. That's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille