Prospect Info: William Carrier (2014 via trade) ‎– '16-17: Buffalo #48 (NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I was looking through some Amerks stats and noticed something interesting. William Carrier stands out by quite a margin in the +/-. He's a +8 on a roster that has a -11 combined, and the closest behind him are Bagnall and McCabe with +3 each. Now I know +/- is kind of a blunt tool and the sample size is just twelve games, so we should read too much into it, but I'm curious: What kind of game does he have? Does he have some upside that has been missed in the excitement over other prospects? Is this kind of a sleeper?

Input from people who've seen him in Rochester please. :)

ZeroPT*

Carrier is a really solid piece. I'm really happy we were able to pick him up in the Miller deal.

I bet we see him in Buffalo this year. I think he and Schaller are going to be legit pieces for us as soon as next year.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
William Carrier

What's going on with him this year? I moved to Oregon a few years ago so catching anything other than highlights of Amerk games never happens. In our summer prospect poll we all ranked him 13th in our system, but I haven't heard anything about him lately, so I looked up his stats for the year. GP 37, G 3, A 3.
Could someone who has watched him this year, give me an update on how he has looked this year and if you think he is still our 13th best prospect. Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Carrier was never a special prospect to begin with, some people just tended to overrate him since he was the shiny new toy (not that #13 is that great of a rank anyway). Don't forget that he was mainly a throw-in in the Miller deal, not the main piece... With that being said, I'd say that his development is still on track. His play has been okay for a rookie in his first pro season, from what I've heard he has been defensivly responsible and plays a hard-working game, which makes up for the lack of production so far. While fellow rookies such as Jordan Samuels-Thomas and Justin Kea have been benched more than a few times, the coaching staff still seems to deem Carrier's play good enough to give him a spot on the roster every night. If Carrier's junior career is any indication then he never projected as much of a scorer at the next level anyway, so I wouldn't be too worried about his scoring numbers. If he makes the NHL then it will be in a bottom-line capacity, and for a first year pro numbers like the ones he put up are no reason to be concerned yet.

ZeroPT*

Anyone expecting him to be an offensive producer was sadly mistaken. He'd likely do good in the NHL despite his AHL production. He works hard and is very responsible. He's got a low ceiling but a decent floor. He'll likely make it in the league in some capacity.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
The AHL makes a lot of good looking prospects look really, really average. The same thing happened to Catenacci. That's why I laugh every time people insert half our 2nd and 3rd round picks into some uber, future lineup. It's really, really hard to be AHL level, let alone NHL level. It's certainly not over for Carrier based on part of a year, but he's never going to be a top-six talent. He's got a fight ahead of him to be a bottom-sixer, and by this time next year, we should know a lot more.

(I watch a lot of Amerks games, so I've gotten a good look. The kid started the year strong but the offense dried up quickly.)

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The AHL makes a lot of good looking prospects look really, really average. The same thing happened to Catenacci. That's why I laugh every time people insert half our 2nd and 3rd round picks into some uber, future lineup. It's really, really hard to be AHL level, let alone NHL level. It's certainly not over for Carrier based on part of a year, but he's never going to be a top-six talent. He's got a fight ahead of him to be a bottom-sixer, and by this time next year, we should know a lot more.

(I watch a lot of Amerks games, so I've gotten a good look. The kid started the year strong but the offense dried up quickly.)

I like this response.
Since you've seen many of the Amerks games, Rhett, what are your thoughts on both Catenacci (who I haven't seen much but reading about him intrigues me) and Carrier's chances of eventually seeing an in season try out with the Sabres?

I'll hang up and listen and thanks for responding in advance.

Bps21*

Girgensons had 17 points in 61 games his first (and only) AHL season. It takes time to make the jump.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Carrier is late birthday, like Reinhart, and as such only needed one more year in juniors before he was AHL eligible. He's a pretty young AHLer who just turned 20yrs old a little over a month ago. Talk to me after two more years down there and we will see what we have

Bps21*

Yes but his overall game was much better and he improved at a rapid pace.

You have something to back that up with? How were they used? Zone deployment? Quality of teammate? Quality of opponent? Where was Zemgus at the amount of games Carrier has played? I know Girgensons took a step forward in the playoffs...which is still many games away from where carrier is right now in his career. I hate plus minus as much as anyone but zemgus was a -9 and carrier is a +5 (on a pretty bad amerks team that gets scored on constantly) is he being asked to carry a heavy defensive role that he's doing a great job on but limits his O zone time? Or is it the opposite and Girgensons was tasked more with play in his own end?

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Yes I have my eyes to back it up with. No advanced stats as the AHL doesn't have any. Believe me or don't. Girgensons steadily improved and something clicked in the playoffs. Carrier has been a non factor since the 3rd week of the season. I'm not writing him off but it's a bad comparison.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I like this response.
Since you've seen many of the Amerks games, Rhett, what are your thoughts on both Catenacci (who I haven't seen much but reading about him intrigues me) and Carrier's chances of eventually seeing an in season try out with the Sabres?

I'll hang up and listen and thanks for responding in advance.

Catenacci's in a tough spot. His ceiling always appeared to be a third-line speedster with a bit of chip to his game (but not the size to really back it up) and great defensive chops. His last year in juniors, he put up some solid offensive numbers, but none of that carried into the AHL. Outside of his speed, not a lot of the other toolset translated either. I give him about a 10-15 percent chance at being a Darren Helm-type player in the NHL.

Carrier has a year less AHL experience under his belt, so it's harder to say for sure. The offensive skills seem to be trending downward, though. He can skate and has an NHL body, so a bottom-six role would not be completely out of the question. By this time next year, it will be far more obvious. (He had a couple solid games recently after a really bad drought for a few months.)

Also, someone mentioned Girgensons earlier and how few points he scored in the AHL. It should be pointed out that he was much younger at the time. Both Cat and Carrier played more juniors after their draft year, and Girgs immediately went pro by virtue of being outside the CHL. As pointed out by another, he also improved dramatically toward the end. You could see that it "clicked."

It's not too out of line to look at Carrier's production as a slight worry. Good prospects, especially after two more years in junior after their draft year, can put up serious points in the AHL. Heck, Luke Adam nearly put up 30 goals in 57 games and scored at a PT/GM clip. Granted, in that case, even tearing up the AHL isn't a sign of an NHL future.

Like I said in my previous post, it's damn hard to be an NHL player. It's also damn hard to scout talent, so In Murray We Trust.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Cons: skating, puck hog, likely not to defend a teammate, should not make your 2nd line (?).

Pros: knows the game, has decent hands, strong with the puck.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So how's Carrier these days? I haven't seen much beyond highlights and the Amerks overall stat line, outside of Dupuy, he's the only regular plus player.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Deserves a bump with 13 points in his last 13 AHL GP .. Kevin O gave him some rightful press too after tonight's two goal performance here:
William Carrier will never be expected to take the puck in his own end, dance around three defenders and then put four moves on the goalie en route to scoring a goal that makes the nightly SportsCenter Top 10 plays.

That's not his skill-set.

Instead, the Rochester Americans' second-year left winger is all about using his speed to pursue the puck. About using his body to plow into defensemen on the boards. About hustling out toward the point to get in front of slap shots.

If he is scoring goals, they're going to be coming from a very concentrated area of the ice. Namely, right around the blue paint of the goal crease.

"Go to the net; good stuff happens when you go to the net," Carrier said.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I feel like he's definitely been flying under the radar since his very slow start his rookie year. But he's still a prospect with pro potential, IMO, and I look forward to seeing him as a late season callup/battling for a roster spot next year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watching part of today's game, seems like he could get a call if roster space opens up when the deadline strikes. There is certainly some of his game that would replace a number of current roster wingers at least in part.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
He'll be on the Sabres next season I strongly suspect.

Carrier, Fasching and Bailey are most likely the ones who fight from a roster spot next season from the training camp and who will be among first call-ups.

It's a pleasant change compared to this season when we really didn't have any (forward) Amerk legitimately fighting for a roster spot on a training camp.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Carrier, Fasching and Bailey are most likely the ones who fight from a roster spot next season from the training camp and who will be among first call-ups.

It's a pleasant change compared to this season when we really didn't have any (forward) Amerk legitimately fighting for a roster spot on a training camp.

I don't believe Carrier will be a call up. Some Amerks faithful I speak with are telling me to fully expect him as a solid bottom 6'er in Buffalo next season.

But, who knows what will happen between now and then.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Carrier stood out in the prospects game. Not that it means too much because of the level of competition but I'm not suprised he is doing so well.

In my opinion he will better than Baptiste in the long run. I think Dupuy could be similarly underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad