Speculation: Will we sign Antti Raanta?

Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What I am saying is this: market value for Raanta is max 2 years a 4 mill or 3-4 years at 3.5 or less. I think that is the market for Raanta if we sign him or somebody else signs him. He isn't proven yet in spite of his last 6 weeks of play. Plenty of goalies have played well in short spurts and have had good back up stats.

Between here and the end of the year, if he plays lights out like he is now, he might get 4 by 4. If his play declines, he could get 2 by 2. I think he will get somewhere in between this summer or now if Chayka extends him. I'll guess we sign him for 2 years at 3.5 mill or 3-4 years at 3 mill.
You didn't answer my question.:) We are looking/needing a #1 goalie. Who will be available and at what cost? Even if Raanta is a gamble somewhat, so will everyone else who is available, and how much if any do we save. If a established #1 becomes available, we such in hell can not afford him.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You didn't answer my question.:) We are looking/needing a #1 goalie. Who will be available and at what cost? Even if Raanta is a gamble somewhat, so will everyone else who is available, and how much if any do we save. If a established #1 becomes available, we such in hell can not afford him.
There are half a dozen UFA goalies this year that are in the same conversation as Raanta. I bet most can be had for not much more tgan half what many here predict for Raanta. He is still a gamble that I would take but let's be real we aren't talking about resigning Vasilesky or even Dubnyk here, Raanta is really unproven as a starter.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
There will be plenty of available goalies, some with the potential to be a #1 just like Raanta. We have picked up Bryz/Smith/Duby/Greiss/Raanta over the years for not much. Look, I like Raanta and I think we should sign him. We just don't need to over pay or give too much term, and no other GM will either.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
What does Chayka do if Philly or NYI offer a lottery protected 1st for Raanta in the next week?
Tell them to unprotect it or GTFO. Well unless you think Raanta is determined to explore free agency, then you take the deal. To be clear I'm not overvaluing Raanta as much as I'd rather they re-sign him and I'm sick of being the rest of the NHL's god damn farm team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
They are debating about sending a 3rd for Mrazek. A first isn’t going to be offered.
All the more reason to re-sign Raanta, sounds like the market is shitty. I'd rather watch Philly's season go up in smoke than help them make the playoffs (where anything can happen) for a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There are half a dozen UFA goalies this year that are in the same conversation as Raanta. I bet most can be had for not much more tgan half what many here predict for Raanta. He is still a gamble that I would take but let's be real we aren't talking about resigning Vasilesky or even Dubnyk here, Raanta is really unproven as a starter.
Ok, let's pick two of those goalies who you say are as good as Raanta and pay them each 2 mill/yr. Goalie problem solved and we will have two goalies that could be starter material.Our risk will be less.:nod:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Ok, let's pick two of those goalies who you say are as good as Raanta and pay them each 2 mill/yr. Goalie problem solved and we will have two goalies that could be starter material.Our risk will be less.:nod:
That's what I suggested awhile back. If Raanta does not agree to the deal the Coyotes are offering based on how they value him that is exactly the direction they should take. But if they like the deal and he's known to be a good team fit the sign him.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That's what I suggested awhile back. If Raanta does not agree to the deal the Coyotes are offering based on how they value him that is exactly the direction they should take. But if they like the deal and he's known to be a good team fit the sign him.
Agreed, we have options and there is no need to over pay for Raanta. This will play out and we likely sign him to a reasonable deal anyway.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed, we have options and there is no need to over pay for Raanta. This will play out and we likely sign him to a reasonable deal anyway.
I don't think anybody has talked about over paying for Raanta. It might be over paying in your eyes, but there is no way Raanta will settle for a 2 yr. deal nor should he. I also think or hope we can get him signed.

Reactions: RemoAZ

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't think anybody has talked about over paying for Raanta. It might be over paying in your eyes, but there is no way Raanta will settle for a 2 yr. deal nor should he. I also think or hope we can get him signed.
Of course he wants more term then 2 years. If his options are 2 years at 4 mill, 3 years at 3.5 mill, or 4 years at 3 mill, what does he do? I don't see Raanta wanting a 1 year prove it deal at 4 mill. But, if he took a 1 year deal and played well next year like he has the last 6 weeks, he would have proven he is a solid starter. then, he might get 5-6 mill for 3 or 4 years. His injury at the start of the year is what clouds his value.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Feel like I remember some serious attitude/character isssues with Mrazek, no? Didn't Detroit want to part ways last summer or the summer before but wouldn't accept lowball offers, or some such?

he kind of threw a fit after Detroit refused to trade Howard. Used it in his negotiations.

Mrazek and Rannta were my top 2 targets. I think Mrazek is going to be good still, and he's only 26. I am beyond happy with the choice we made.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Rumor was the Flyers were going for Mrazek or Rannta. They gave up a 2018 2nd and conditional 2019 3rd... plus got Detroit to retain 50%.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Rumor was the Flyers were going for Mrazek or Rannta. They gave up a 2018 2nd and conditional 2019 3rd... plus got Detroit to retain 50%.

If I understand the conditions right, the '18 pick turning into a 2nd rounder will be pretty tough. More likely it's a 4th or 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad