Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
If he's not interested in re-signing, then we should trade him in the next 10 days; however, I think that we'll hold onto him for the rest of the season now that we are improving.

Of course if a strong offer comes around, I'm sure they'll take it. The question is, what would be the bare minimum offer we should accept for a trade (assuming they know he doesn't want to re-sign)? Perhaps a desperate team could make an appealing offer, but we would somehow need to acquire a replacement goalie (I'd hate to rely on Wedgewood-Hill/Miska/Maguire the rest of the season).

Although I'd like to get more, a Raanta for Neuvirth trade might be worth considering. Neuvirth is signed through next season (2.5 million), has played decently in his 19 games this season, and would allow us to "shop around" for another goalie (Hutton, Ward, Bernier, Dell?). I suppose we could also try to trade for an RFA (Lehner, Grubauer, Mrazek) or other goalie as well (perhaps we could go with a tandem for next season since we most likely won't compete for the playoffs)

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I’m a big Neuvirth fan. He has tons of talent. But I wouldn’t trade Raanta for him. The thing keeping Neuvirth from being a number 1 goalie is his injury history. He just can’t stay healthy.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I’m a big Neuvirth fan. He has tons of talent. But I wouldn’t trade Raanta for him. The thing keeping Neuvirth from being a number 1 goalie is his injury history. He just can’t stay healthy.

Shall we look at Raanta's health this season for comparison? Just saying :)

Of course, I'm talking within the context that Raanta doesn't want to re-sign here. Getting one year of Neuvirth (and adding a tandem) seems more constructive than trading Raanta for a pick, aging vet, tier-2 prospect, or losing him as a UFA.

I guess my next question would be, what is Raanta's value on the trade market this year? What could we get from him (mainly fair market, but realistic desperation offers are fine too)?

Who's in the market for a rental goalie? NYI, CHI (although Crawford is supposedly close--week to week--I don't think it will help them though), PHI? Any others?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If I'm Chayka I'm on the phone with Chicago trying to get them to fork over their 1st for Raanta. Then you hope like hell Raanta isn't enough to get them into the playoffs and the Yotes end up with another shot a Dahlin (albeit a very unlikely one).

Reactions: _Del_

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Bought one of those Raanta shirsey things today. He better re-sign :)
As long as it's before the trade deadline. If they can't hammer out a reasonable deal before then I think they should trade him rather than lose him for nothing in the off-season.

Reactions: _Del_ and Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Who's in the market for a rental goalie? NYI, CHI (although Crawford is supposedly close--week to week--I don't think it will help them though), PHI? Any others?

Canes. They would probably pay a pretty penny too. But I reaaaaally like Raanta. Look at PHI, NYI, Canes and even Dallas and Calagary up to this year. It is not easy to get a solid goaltender longterm in this league. Teams often make more mistakes than hits when they have goalie issues. Signing the wrong vet, trading a prospect for the wrong guy (Bobvrosky) or the dreaded goaltender limbo (NYI) are not good situations to be in.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
And acquire him some Finnish friends
There just aren't that many good options that are realistic. I was goofing around the NHL site using the nationality filter on the player stats page for this reason and it's like there aren't very many medium quality Finns. They're either really good or really meh for the most part. I was looking for Rieder level players. Guys in about that range of value and it was kind of a bust. Maybe I missed something...

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
There just aren't that many good options that are realistic. I was goofing around the NHL site using the nationality filter on the player stats page for this reason and it's like there aren't very many medium quality Finns. They're either really good or really meh for the most part. I was looking for Rieder level players. Guys in about that range of value and it was kind of a bust. Maybe I missed something...

we can just hire one of his, like, actual friends from home.

"Hey what do you do here?"
"I dont know keep him happy i guess.."

"..word."

We did it with Smith :sarcasm::naughty:

Reactions: _Del_

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I'm going to be mad if we can't sign him. He is actually a good goalie and i'd like to see atleast one Finn in team, because i'm from Finland

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I agree with the "Sign him" crowd. He seems to be a solid option (besides the crazy injuries and such this year). Hopefully the price and term all make sense and Raanta sticks with the Yotes. He was a good pick up, me thinks.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
If I'm Chayka I'm on the phone with Chicago trying to get them to fork over their 1st for Raanta. Then you hope like hell Raanta isn't enough to get them into the playoffs and the Yotes end up with another shot a Dahlin (albeit a very unlikely one).
I don't think he'll want to return to Chicago after what happened. But I'm fairly sure he'll look for another team somewhere in the middle of the pack, where he can be a starter but also have a fair chance for playoffs. I think the Panthers would make the most sense.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This will boil down to who will pay him the most money. He isn't going to stay here for 1 million less per year. Our competition will be other destinations that will make him their starter and pay him starter money. All about the money and term. This could be his first good contract with term.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
olOm1O4.png

How can you not sign this guy?

Reactions: Jakey53 and Mosby

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
We really, really, really, need to get this done.

Money won’t kick in until next year anyways. Not bringing backs Rieder and Schenn, we should be able to find the money somewhere

Reactions: Muppet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad