Will we make the playoffs?

KingKopitar11*

Yes, lucky that the Canucks are doing bad, but we have to improve, if we keep going like this, no.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
People who think Sutter is going to get fired need to wake up.

On one hand I'm happy the teams behind us are playing as poorly as the Kings. Hell even the Sharks are playing rough hockey. On the other hand it makes this streak even more infuriating. Now would have been a perfect time to build up a nice cushion.

But hey, if you aren't fighting for a playoff spot during the final game of the season you aren't playing Kings hockey right?

kingsfansince1967

Oct 23, 2006
Montreal
If Sutter stays and DL doesn't get an important addition on offense, Minnesota, Phoenix, Winnipeg, Dallas and even Nashville will finish ahead of us.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
In 2012 the Kings...

1. Traded for a 40 goal-scorer
2. Fired the coach
3. Replaced two awful players with two hungry gritty bottom six forwards
4. Had Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, Mike Richards, Willie Mitchell, Rob Scuderi and Jonathan Quick playing the best hockey of their careers (atleast in the playoffs)

This year will literally have none of those things. They will make the playoffs but they will likely be opening in either Anaheim or Chicago. When you have the best goalie in the world anything is possible, but this roster, opening on the road, it's going to be tough.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
They have a good schedule after the break. If the Kings come out and drop the first few out of the gate I think it could get pretty disparate around here.

But given this Kings team over the last few seasons I still think they've built enough credit for me to keep the faith they will get it done when it matters most.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Honestly I think it all depends on DL. Even a small tweak at this point could do wonders

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Without a problem. When Kings with this horrible slump will still be in PO position going to the Olympic break, then I have no doubt they'll end season in PO and there is everything possible.

But is still interesting that outsiders like me have much more confidence in this team than some of you "die-hard" Kings fans. Do you really believe this team is lottery ticket team or do you believe that they are one of the best NHL team they were in first three months of this season and last two years with SC and WCF? I believe that what they shown since SC win till christmas break is more close to reality than what we are seeing during this slump last 20 games...

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Without a problem. When Kings with this horrible slump will still be in PO position going to the Olympic break, then I have no doubt they'll end season in PO and there is everything possible.

But is still interesting that outsiders like me have much more confidence in this team than some of you "die-hard" Kings fans. Do you really believe this team is lottery ticket team or do you believe that they are one of the best NHL team they were in first three months of this season and last two years with SC and WCF? I believe that what they shown since SC win till christmas break is more close to reality than what we are seeing during this slump last 20 games...

Somewhere in between?

They are certainly not a lottery team but not a contender either. But they are closer to contending than being terrible.

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Somewhere in between?

They are certainly not a lottery team but not a contender either. But they are closer to contending than being terrible.

Then logic also tell you that that results in last 20 games and especially last 10 games (1 - 9 - 0) are not something you can expect that will last till end of the season...

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Then logic also tell you that that results in last 20 games and especially last 10 games (1 - 9 - 0) are not something you can expect that will last till end of the season...

Nope, but they also aren't as good as they played earlier in the year.

It was not realistic to expect to keep winning games 2-1 and 1-0, and they will need more offense to beat the big boys in the playoffs. And I just don't see the talent on this roster to get those goals, and unless DL can somehow pull in Vanek, there isn't anyone on the market that is good enough to get us to contender level this season. I am targeting next year to be contending again.

Last edited:

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor

It was not realistic to expect to keep winning games 2-1 and 1-0, and they will need more offense to beat the big boys in the playoffs. And I just don't see the talent on this roster to get those goals, and unless DL can somehow pull in Vanek, there isn't anyone on the market that is good enough to get us to contender level this season. I am targeting next year to be contending again.

Topic right now is about reaching play-off, not winning SC. And my comments are directed toward this...

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

this

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
In essence 4 playoff spots to be divided up among Dallas, Winnipeg, Vancouver, LA Minnesota, Phoenix. (Assume the other 6 are already locked up) Dallas, Winnipeg or Minnesota is assured 1 of those 4. Same with Vancouver, Phoenix and LA.

So 2 playoff spots for the remaining 4.. Kings win a couple in a row, and Dallas/Winnipeg lose a couple in a row in regulation, you are up like 5 games, with like 22 to play.. Winnipeg's schedule is much tougher after the Olympics..

Despite the Kings sucking so bad, it is going to be very very very hard for them to not get into the playoffs. Once there they could get swept.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The Nucks and PHX....Are just terrible hockey teams.

The Kings would literally have to lose every single game in March/April to miss the playoff's.

March schedule is weak.....WEAK.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
yes. the team goes through a mid-season slump every year and they always figure out a way to get through it. dont worry your little heads

scryan

May 1, 2013
... if we keep going like this, no.
I mean, I think thats not really even a question, its a stat. We have been moving down, and I don't think there is anyway that they could finish out their season with the record they have had in 2014 and have a chance...

But clearly this thread is more about if you think we will step up our game enough to make the cut.

I think its obvious we are not this bad. How much better is another argument I am not trying to have... point is statically things will line up every now and again so that your doing better or worse.
Obviously this is worse, but with every terrible game the odds are that much better the next one will be good... And its just too unlikely they could push this streak until the end of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad