Will we make the playoffs this year?

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
We've made it in once in the last 8 years? We're playing like basement team this season and management is showing no signs of doing something about it. So the rational response is "no".

UFancyHuh

May 29, 2008
Lost
I think the tough schedule in December will wake up the team and we'll make it. (hopefully)

BlueBomber76

Mar 14, 2009
M-City
www.thequits.com
If a coaching change is not made, then "No".

Carlyle seems to lose the bench in games when the chips start to fall.

Prime example, last game of the playoffs last year and he did not call a timeout to settle the team down and get them focused or our last game against Pittsburgh.

He doesn't know how to handle intense situations. He needs to go.

Do it now before the season is truly lost. Only problem is the most likely replacement mid season would be The Great One. He and Leiweke have a relationship and what better way to make a bang then to bring the biggest name in hockey in to coach the biggest team in the league.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438246

And so it begins........

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I find the whole "we've made it once in 8 years...."

So did we have this exact team 8 years ago? We also made it last year, and are currently in a playoff spot. Shouldn't that be more then what Trevor Kidd did in 2004?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
We've made it in once in the last 8 years? We're playing like basement team this season and management is showing no signs of doing something about it. So the rational response is "no".

There is nothing rational about making snappy decisions based on the last 5-6 games. 2 of those losses the referees are responsible for as well. That loss to Pittsburgh was a joke. The Leafs were up 4 - 1 and the refs decided, "Hey, lets make it a game again by giving the best PP a couple opportunities". What happened that game was a disgrace by the zebras.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
Injuries are bad but what is worse is that we aren't even halfway through the season and some players are on their 2nd round of injuries already!

Why can Leaf fans have nice things? :cry:

BayStreetBullies*

Change question to "If the season ended today, would we make the playoffs?", the result of the poll would still be the same. Such is the perpetual "the sky is falling" mentality of some people on here. :shakehead

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I find the whole "we've made it once in 8 years...."

So did we have this exact team 8 years ago? We also made it last year, and are currently in a playoff spot. Shouldn't that be more then what Trevor Kidd did in 2004?

I am beginning to think that if last season was 82 games we wouldn't have made it

Grandpabuzz

Oct 13, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Leafs will make it but as one of the wild card teams. Assuming no drastic changes in rosters, Boston and Pittsburgh are locks. Detroit, Montreal, New York and Washington are more than likely in as well, given how the Metro division works.

This leaves two spots open. I think Ottawa has underperformed and Tampa outperformed their roster makeup and believe that Ottawa makes it and Tampa doesn't. That leaves one spot for any remaining eastern team except Tampa, Florida and Buffalo. I think Toronto gets that spot, but again that's assuming no major roster changes happen the rest of the way (very unlikely).

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
I had my doubt before the season even started. For kind of different reasons. I knew that last year, the defense was our weak point. Proof is here now. I really tough with letting Grabovski go, Kadri would have a slow start. Again from last year, down the middle is a little weak. Adding Bolland helped, and i was wrong on that. Except that we still don't have a No1. Injuries are to blame a little bit on that too. Were still in the race. I hope we make it, but i doubt it.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
If we are still 6th after that series of craptastic games, I think we will make it. This team will get out of their funk, and win 55%+ of the rest of their games if you follow the general trend.

That gives us 91 pts if all of our loses come in regulation. That itself is enough to make the playoffs in the East. We will probably end up 6th again this year.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Yes, we WILL make the playoffs this year.

Much to the chagrin of Leaf haters and super pessimistic/crying/moaning Leaf "fans" alike.

:)

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
We will. As much as the injuries and the slow learning of Carlyles system frustrate right now, we are finding ways to get tie points and wins here and there - we're hangin' around. Other teams are having their winning streaks now, and statistics say they'll plummet back to earth soon enough - the Habs and TB's of the world are not finishing with 110 points. Our winning time will be after Christmas.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
the real question is, will this team have home ice advantage?
this is one of those questions that people will laugh at now but in 5 weeks they will all look stupid

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I think the tough schedule in December will wake up the team and we'll make it. (hopefully)

29 games into the season and they haven't played well. People say "good teams find ways to win" but shouldn't "good" teams also be capable of actually playing well?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
29 games into the season and they haven't played well. People say "good teams find ways to win" but shouldn't "good" teams also be capable of actually playing well?

Carlyle's teams looks like crap and wins.

Wilson teams look good while losing.

What would you rather have? A winner or a loser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad