Will we be average for years to come? How about mediocre?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We have the players to win, they just all have to be at their best for 16W come spring.

The PP gets going, the goaltending is hot and we are healthy, we can beat any team in a 7 game series.

I do not think the Senators are that good. They were fortunate to get to the ECF last season. Losing MacArthur hurt a lot the last few years and his salary continues to hold the team back from getting better by acquiring a top 6 player to replace him.

The team really needs another top 6 forward to advance upwards into the “Contender” group. I would like to see a trade to get one but do not want to give up top prospects like Chabot or Brown to get one. I would be willing to trade the 2018 first round pick, Englund, Jaros, Chlapik, and/or White to get a RFA scoring winger.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Losing MacArthur hurt a lot the last few years and his salary continues to hold the team back from getting better by acquiring a top 6 player to replace him.
His contract was insured, so they are only paying him ~$1M. If they need to they can place him on LTIR for relief, so the cap isn't a problem. Aside from that, I'd agree that the Sens need a top 6 forward to really make a push. Being mostly healthy and adding MacArthur was a big reason they were able to make some noise. I wouldn't say they were lucky, but things were falling into place for them. I think a fully healthy Karlsson, Stone and Brassard and they coulda taken the Pens down...but that's not how things go.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Stop-self-sabotage.png

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Almost 20 games in and this team is really lacking a first line star. As good as Karlsson is he is playing pretty average. I wouldn't be shocked if this team just missed the playoffs with it being statistically Anderson's turn for a down season.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Once Duchene gets going we have a legit first line in terms of talent in Hoffman-Duchene-Stone and then 2 more top 6 talents in Brassard and Ryan. You guys are delusional if you think every contender has exactly 6 top 6 forwards, that's simply to expensive to ice unless you hit the jackpot like pens on late picks and undrafted players working out. In fact 2/5 best forwards were late round gems. We are s good team going through a rough stretch.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Also Hoffman is a 1st line player, who will likely finish the season with his usual 60ish points which is 1st line production
This is the thing they are great individual talents but a Spezza type player would have taken them to another level. I think everyone wants more out of Stone and Hoffman. As good as 60 ish points are we will need more out of them on a more consistent level if we want to be a better team.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
This is the thing they are great individual talents but a Spezza type player would have taken them to another level. I think everyone wants more out of Stone and Hoffman. As good as 60 ish points are we will need more out of them on a more consistent level if we want to be a better team.

Well idk what you could possibly want more of Stone, he's been arguably a top 10 player in the league this year so far. Also Hoffman is kinda hard to pair with, I doubt him playing with a better playmaker would improve his point totals. He kinda drives his own play like Evander Kane except on the power play.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Well idk what you could possibly want more of Stone, he's been arguably a top 10 player in the league this year so far. Also Hoffman is kinda hard to pair with, I doubt him playing with a better playmaker would improve his point totals. He kinda drives his own play like Evander Kane except on the power play.
I think Stone is missing a play maker. I think Stone could be a ppg player but he can't do it on his own.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Not sure how Spezza's 8 points would help us considering if he's not scoring he's beyond useless as he has little defensive awareness. Rather have an Alfie type.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
One thing's for sure — the post's title has been answered with a resounding no. We were one goal away from the Cup Finals last year, and now we're the biggest dogshit team to ever play like dogshit. Neither of those are average.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
It's not like he is going to make us worse. Would probably get someone else going at least.

We can't afford Spezz's cap hit lol. As much as I ragged on the guy he'd be like hot chocolate for the soul right now, but the fanbase would turn on him again. It's time to move on.
Just stay the course and get a dominant top five pick...AND DON'T PICK SOME CHARACTER GUY WITH HEART, PICK THE BPA. And make it a defenceman or a centre please.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
One thing's for sure — the post's title has been answered with a resounding no. We were one goal away from the Cup Finals last year, and now we're the biggest dog**** team to ever play like dog****. Neither of those are average.
Stars won't align for this team like they did last year. Last year's run was a facade of what this team truly is.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Stars won't align for this team like they did last year. Last year's run was a facade of what this team truly is.
Yup. Last year was an example of everything going right. This year is more in line with what this team really is, combined with a clearly still hurting Karlsson who's unable to mask some of the bigger issues we have. Regardless, not average.

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yup. Last year was an example of everything going right. This year is more in line with what this team really is, combined with a clearly still hurting Karlsson who's unable to mask some of the bigger issues we have. Regardless, not average.

While there was certainly some good fortune last year, it's really not fair to suggest everything went right. Everything going right wouldn't include a starting goalie being unavailable for half the season, a #1 dman playing on a broken foot through the entire playoffs, a top 4 defensive dman having his fingertip amputated, a severely separate shoulder to a top 6 center, ect.

Last year certainly exceeded reasonable expectations, just as this year's team is failing to reach reasonable expectations.

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad