Will we be average for years to come? How about mediocre?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Going on this run is great but to expect these results each season going forward is a little premature. The year Edmonton made the finals is prime example of what not to do. They thought because they lost in game 7 in the finals that they were better than they were and went on to have the most horrible decade in NHL history.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Going on this run is great but to expect these results each season going forward is a little premature. The year Edmonton made the finals is prime example of what not to do. They thought because they lost in game 7 in the finals that they were better than they were and went on to have the most horrible decade in NHL history.

Great that edmonton team and this sens team have nothing in common. All of ottawas best players are 27 or younger.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007

As long as Karlsson doesn't demand a trade to a warmer climate, I don't think the Sens have to worry about that dramatic of a fall.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The moves in the off season will ultimately determine whether we improve. If we don't add an impact player i'm not sure we get the luck of the draw like this seasons playoffs.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Pronger bailed on the team because of his wife.

What are you babbling on about?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Pronger bailed on the team because of his wife.

What are you babbling on about?
Pronger was not Lebron. In hockey 1 player doesn't get you to the finals and then the next by leaving make you the laughing stock of the league for 10 years.

Ottawa could look a this years results and think they are closer than they really are. Realistically no one here thought Ottawa could make it to game 7 of the eastern conference finals vs Pittsburgh.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
One thing I partially agree on.....next season is the real test. We've had 'pesky Sens' runs before, only to fall flat the following season. How will this team react to having a target on their backs next year? How will they play, having a year under their belts with this system? How quickly will the kids (Chabot/White) adapt? Can Andy handle a full season?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

They were an 8th seed that got hot at the right time, and then had to trade away their best player shortly after. I don't think it had anything to do with them thinking they were better than they really were, they weren't that great in the first place.

Anaheim did the same thing Edmonton did three years earlier. They failed to make the playoffs the next year, because like Edmonton, they just weren't that good.

Ottawa wasn't a 7th or 8th seed. Yes, they got further than we thought they would, but they finished 2nd in their division and had home ice in the first two rounds. We still need to get better though, and not act like we don't have to do anything, which I think is what you're trying to say.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
They were an 8th seed that got hot at the right time, and then had to trade away their best player shortly after. I don't think it had anything to do with them thinking they were better than they really were, they weren't that great in the first place.

Anaheim did the same thing Edmonton did three years earlier. They failed to make the playoffs the next year, because like Edmonton, they just weren't that good.

Ottawa wasn't a 7th or 8th seed. Yes, they got further than we thought they would, but they finished 2nd in their division and had home ice in the first two rounds. We still need to get better though, and not act like we don't have to do anything, which I think is what you're trying to say.
Pretty much. If we can improve our Center depth while keeping Turris then that would be ideal.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't get why people insist so much that the Sens were "lucky" to face the Bruins and Rangers... They finished 13th and 9th overall. And actually, after their coaching change, the Bruins were one of the best teams in the last 1/3 of the season with a 18-8-1 record

The Pens finished 2nd Overall and we took them to 2nd OT of game 7. If it wasn't for Kessel's dive not called, maybe the Sens would be playing in the SCF right now.

What's the excuse? Others teams were banged up? Have you seen the Sens list of injuries? Our best D-man and best forward were both injured. I think the Sens would have actually won the Cup if they were healthy.

If there is one thing that was proved, it's that the Sens are able to beat pretty much anybody.

Of course, next season is a new season. You have to begin all over from the start again.

we basically go from an elite team with Karlsson on to one of the worst teams in the league when he steps off.

That isn't surrounding him with great talent.

You need to get guys like Hagelin, Kessel,Hornqvist, Guentzel, Sheary, Cullen,Shultz to be great, not tommy wingels and alex burrows.

Agreed, none of Dzingel, Hoffman, Stone, Turris, Ryan, Brassard, Phaneuf are close to the level of these players.

If what you said ("we basically go from an elite team with Karlsson on to one of the worst teams") was true, how come Karlsson was only 8th in GF% in the regular season?

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...aters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Hoffman, Stone, Claesson, Brassard, Wideman and Methot all had better GF%

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don't get why people insist so much that the Sens were "lucky" to face the Bruins and Rangers... They finished 13th and 9th overall. And actually, after their coaching change, the Bruins were one of the best teams in the last 1/3 of the season with a 18-8-1 record

The Pens finished 2nd Overall and we took them to 2nd OT of game 7. If it wasn't for Kessel's dive not called, maybe the Sens would be playing in the SCF right now.

What's the excuse? Others teams were banged up? Have you seen the Sens list of injuries? Our best D-man and best forward were both injured. I think the Sens would have actually won the Cup if they were healthy.

If there is one thing that was proved, it's that the Sens are able to beat pretty much anybody.

Of course, next season is a new season. You have to begin all over from the start again.

Agreed, none of Dzingel, Hoffman, Stone, Turris, Ryan, Brassard, Phaneuf are close to the level of these players.

If what you said ("we basically go from an elite team with Karlsson on to one of the worst teams") was true, how come Karlsson was only 8th in GF% in the regular season?

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...aters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Hoffman, Stone, Claesson, Brassard, Wideman and Methot all had better GF%

did you even watch the playoffs?

This team got caved in when Karlsson was off.

Ottawa: 47GF 50GA
Karlsson ON: 32GF 16 GA
Karlsson OFF: 15 GF 34 GA

On Ice
TOI|GF|GA|GF%|CF/60|CA/60|CF%
412:20 |21 (3.06/60)| 10 (1.46/60) |67.7%|54.57| 47.73| 53.3

Off Ice
TOI|GF|GA|GF%|CF/60|CA/60|CF%
598:26|13(1.30/60)|24 (2.41/60)|35.1%|50.53 |58.35 |46.4 %

Karlsson carried this team like few players ever have. We have good coaching and the best player in the world.But after that we're a bubble team.

Anidalife

Nov 16, 2007

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
did you even watch the playoffs?

I stopped there. Because :

how come Karlsson was only 8th in GF% in the regular season?

But I have read the end of the post to tell you that the Oilers without McDavid and the Pens without Crosby&Malkin would also be bubble teams.

GF% does not represent what you think it does. It absolutely does not measure how much a player contributes on and off the ice.

Do you really know what I think it represents?

GF% = % of goals scored while player is on the ice that were scored by his team = Goals For / (Goals For + Goals Against)

That's what I think it does represent.

When you are quoting somebody, you have to try to go back to where it started to understand the context of the conversation.

The poster "HZH" said :

we basically go from an elite team with Karlsson on to one of the worst teams in the league when he steps off.

I said that if his statement was true, Karlsson would have BY FAR the best GF% on the team, because it measures goals scored and goals against BEFORE the player steps off the ice, which influence the result of a hockey game pretty much at 100%.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ottawa is at a crucial time right now. They need to make a big move to separate them from the pack or else salary increases could harm this team and thin it out. Montreal has a terrible offense and we should have beat them. The curse of the dreaded back up goalie again strikes.
Our only hope is that White Brown and Chabot can truly step in and be better than all the call ups we've had over the last few seasons. 2 out of the 3 have to be top 6/top 3 caliber players to help us elevate our level of play oh and have a healthy roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think the Sens will be an average team but think they have a lot of good young players coming who hopefully will replace some of the guys we have now who IMO are not good enough to be on a Stanley Cup team. I expect that Chabot, White, Brown, Chlapik, Jaros, Englund, Paul, Harpur, Formenton, Batherson & Hogberg could all help this team immensely once they become NHL ready. Not to mention any other new prospects they may draft in future but having said that they should also look to add another good young forward who could be with the team for the next 5 yrs or more & they have the assets to do that right now. They could go for either an established young player like Landeskog (24 yrs old) or maybe a player or two who isn't established but with a ton of future potential (if even possible) that they scouted & liked in their draft yr, but were unable to draft them.

Reactions: Cosmix

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't think the Sens will be an average team but think they have a lot of good young players coming who hopefully will replace some of the guys we have now who IMO are not good enough to be on a Stanley Cup team. I expect that Chabot, White, Brown, Chlapik, Jaros, Englund, Paul, Harpur, Formenton, Batherson & Hogberg could all help this team immensely once they become NHL ready. Not to mention any other new prospects they may draft in future but having said that they should also look to add another good young forward who could be with the team for the next 5 yrs or more & they have the assets to do that right now. They could go for either an established young player like Landeskog (24 yrs old) or maybe a player or two who isn't established but with a ton of future potential (if even possible) that they scouted & liked in their draft yr, but were unable to draft them.
Yes but will any of them turn out to be that upper echelon type talent. As good as Karlsson is we need a Allstar Forward/Center.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes but will any of them turn out to be that upper echelon type talent. As good as Karlsson is we need a Allstar Forward/Center.

Probability says they will not, but we can hope that at least one will.

I view hockey teams similar to stocks dividing them into quartiles. Each year or over a short period of years, some teams will rise into the top quartile, but they will probably not remain in the top quartile for a long period of time, such as beyond 5 years. Those elite teams will have their top players get old and start losing their elite skills, falling down to a lower quartile. The teams that in the bottom quartile will gain elite draft picks and prospects, and start rising after a few years, such as 5 years. The teams in the second and third quartiles will bounce around a bit between quartiles. Those who are fortunate to get elite prospects and great late draft bloomers will rise to the top quartile.

The Senators appear to be edging into the second quartile from the top at this time and, depending on luck might rise further if some of their top prospects continue to progress in their skill development.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Probability says they will not, but we can hope that at least one will.

I view hockey teams similar to stocks dividing them into quartiles. Each year or over a short period of years, some teams will rise into the top quartile, but they will probably not remain in the top quartile for a long period of time, such as beyond 5 years. Those elite teams will have their top players get old and start losing their elite skills, falling down to a lower quartile. The teams that in the bottom quartile will gain elite draft picks and prospects, and start rising after a few years, such as 5 years. The teams in the second and third quartiles will bounce around a bit between quartiles. Those who are fortunate to get elite prospects and great late draft bloomers will rise to the top quartile.

The Senators appear to be edging into the second quartile from the top at this time and, depending on luck might rise further if some of their top prospects continue to progress in their skill development.
But remember though, we were never one of the teams in the lower quartile. Beyond the 2011/2012 season and the great exodus we have only missed the playoffs twice. Never were we Bottom 5 over the past 5 seasons were we had better odds of acquiring a top end star.

This was pretty much the reason for asking if we will be average for years to come. Although we have Karlsson will we have drafted well enough to make it to that next quartile. Neither Stone nor Hoffman have taken that next step though they are still relatively young.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In the east we are all bubble teams except the elites.

difference now is that we have several top prospects. We could very possibly be on the ups. Which wasn't the case for a long time.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I'm of the opinion that Ottawa doesn't really need an elite talent on this team, if they have 15 or so very good players who can play well together as a team & play their system well. We have a couple who could turn into elite players but what they really need is superior goaltending to make a deep run in the playoffs & I'm not sure that will ever happen with Anderson. Hogberg has potential but so have tons of other goalies who never panned out.

If anything, Ottawa needs a goalie to become elite more so than a forward or another defenceman IMO. They could have up to 10 to 15 very good young players on this roster at some point in the near future along with some of their young players they have now. I expect that White, Brown, Chlapik, Paul, Chabot, Englund, Jaros, Harpur, Hogberg, Formenton, Batherson, Bowers & maybe Gagne, Nurmi or Kelly to all be decent to good NHL players & from this list a handful to be very good NHL players. At the least a few of them might get us other & maybe better players through some dealing. Besides to get an elite talent these days it seems you have to stink for at least a yr & be extremely lucky & win the lottery in a yr an elite talent is available in the draft & we may not be in that position for a while.

Reactions: Cosmix

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'm of the opinion that Ottawa doesn't really need an elite talent on this team, if they have 15 or so very good players who can play well together as a team & play their system well. We have a couple who could turn into elite players but what they really need is superior goaltending to make a deep run in the playoffs & I'm not sure that will ever happen with Anderson. Hogberg has potential but so have tons of other goalies who never panned out.

If anything, Ottawa needs a goalie to become elite more so than a forward or another defenceman IMO. They could have up to 10 to 15 very good young players on this roster at some point in the near future along with some of their young players they have now. I expect that White, Brown, Chlapik, Paul, Chabot, Englund, Jaros, Harpur, Hogberg, Formenton, Batherson, Bowers & maybe Gagne, Nurmi or Kelly to all be decent to good NHL players & from this list a handful to be very good NHL players. At the least a few of them might get us other & maybe better players through some dealing. Besides to get an elite talent these days it seems you have to stink for at least a yr & be extremely lucky & win the lottery in a yr an elite talent is available in the draft & we may not be in that position for a while.

Anderson is good enough to win with now. In a season or two that may not be the case. I just think at some point we have to go for it and put all our chips in. Wait too long and we will need to upgrade our goalie. All of our prospects are at least 2 seasons away from making an impact. Will they ultimately be the players who will replace some of our UFA's down the road? Is that future group going to out perform the current group in 2-3 seasons? We have the right mix of vets and good young talent to go for it now.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
elite talent often comes from the top but you do see a lot of elite players that do not so we may get lucky.

I do believe we need another elite talent. I've posted many times on the board that you can go a long way back in history and the common roster theme amongst cup winners is two or more HoF calibre players in their prime. Carolina is the only real exception and their win was considered an anomaly

I agree about Andy. He's a sink or swim goalie and has too many games a season where his play is not good enough to give us a chance. exhibit A....Montreal this week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad