Will Vinny Lecavalier Make the Hall of Fame?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
he's one of those guys where if he'd hung around for a couple extra year and got his 1,000 chip he probably would have made it eventually. not that he really deserves to, but you just get the feeling he's one of those guys that the hockey establishment likes for whatever reason.

Reactions: Dingo

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
As Vadim says, he's much liked by the hockey establishment, which will give some small push for it someday... but the answer is, "no".

Not that I really care one way or another, as that institution has lost its integrity.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Nope. I do like him, though.

It took him a long time to reach his peak, and when he finally did, it was awesome but very short-lived. I'm not sure he was better than Bobby Smith, who isn't in and very well may never be. Vinny's first and last few seasons really aren't very special. Too bad about the Cooke thing.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Other than Smith, I guess you can lump Vinny in with Nolan and Nash as guys who were good but not great first overall picks.

I do think Lecavalier peaked higher than Smith, Nolan and Nash, but he falls below better first round picks like Thornton, Modano, Hawerchuk, Sundin, Stamkos and well short of guys like Lemieux, Crosby and Ovechkin.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Another guy like Mogilny who when I hear their name I never think "hall of famer"

Damn fine player at his peak though.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Lecavalier didn't come close to living up to his potential. It's hard to imagine he has fewer seasons as a top 15 scorer than Wilf Paiement, Fred Stanfield and Pit Martin.

If you compare him to Steven Stamkos, he "looked" more talented in some ways, but just compare their best several seasons. I don't think those are close.

I mean, Lecavalier's absolute best season may be better than any of SS's, but I'd imagine Stammer's best five blow away Vinny's best five.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Lecavalier didn't come close to living up to his potential. It's hard to imagine he has fewer seasons as a top 15 scorer than Wilf Paiement, Fred Stanfield and Pit Martin.

Would have taken some dough off me on a bar bet there! :speechles Pit Martin, I have to look him and Stanfield up now!

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If you compare him to Steven Stamkos, he "looked" more talented in some ways, but just compare their best several seasons. I don't think those are close.

I mean, Lecavalier's absolute best season may be better than any of SS's, but I'd imagine Stammer's best five blow away Vinny's best five.

Vinny Lecavalier's 5 best seasons:
2006-7: 82 games - 52g (1st) 108p (3rd) 4th in Hart voting, 2nd All-Star
2007-8: 81 games - 40g (9th) 92p (6th)
2002-3: 80 games - 33g, 78p
2005-6: 80 games - 35g, 75p
Hard to find a fifth season, I guess you could argue 10/11 - 65 games, 25 goals, 54 points.

Steven Stamkos' 5 best seasons:
11-12: 82 games - 60g (1), 97 points (2nd) 2nd in Hart voting, 2nd All-Star
09-10: 82 games - 51g (1), 95 points (5th) 6th in Hart voting
10-11: 82 games - 45g (2), 91 points (5th) 2nd All-Star
12-13: 48 games - 29g (2), 57 points (2), 8th in Hart voting
17-18: 78 games - 27g, 86 points

Fifth season is tough. Some of his injury shortened seasons were really good (13-14 he has 25 goals in 37 games which I believe led the lead in GPG, and 16-17 he was at over a half goal a game as well before he was injured in the 17th game of the season), but that was his only other full season over a point per game.

I don't think this is close. I would say Stamkos' best season surpasses Vinny's (especially when factoring in league scoring post-lockout), but top 5 it isn't close. Stamkos is a HHOF lock while Vinny is likely on the outside looking in.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He fizzled out really quickly at the end of his 20s.
Very similar to Eric Staal in a way - whose since had a bit of a resurgence.
It shouldn't be enough to get in the HOF. As others have said though, i think he's fairly well liked/respected in the hockey world so it's not impossible.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
421 goals + 528 assists= 949 Points
4 time all star
1 Rocket Richard
Stanley Cup & World Cup ( MVP) in 04
King Clancy winner in 08
NHL Foundation Player Winner in 08

HHOF is looking for 1st and 2nd team all-star appearances and not so much the all-star game appearance. He has a 2nd team appearance in 2006-07.
Two seasons where he was top 10 in goals and points. (2006-07; 2007-08); 3x 30 goal scorer, 1x 40+ goal scorer, 1x 50+ goal scorer.

His career took a bad turn after the Cooke hit and the two or three wrist surgeries that followed.

Short answer: no.

Great candidate for the HOVG though.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I'd put him in because there's so many undeserving players in there already.

I mean the day Housley and Andreychuk are considered better then Lecavalier....lmao

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I ran his draft cohort (draft year +/- 2 years), so 96-00.

He seems clearly behind Thornton, Hossa, H. Sedin, D. Sedin, Datsyuk and Zetterberg
In a pack with Marleau, B.Richards and Lecavalier
Ahead of Tanguay, Ribeiro, Gaborik, Heatley

If the HHOF inducts 1.5 forwards per year and he's behind 6 guys from his draft cohort, there's probably a good chance that he doesn't make it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Weird argumentation, considering he's apparently the reason why Martin St-Louis's numbers are overinflated.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Weird argumentation, considering he's apparently the reason why Martin St-Louis's numbers are overinflated.

That's a pretty bizarre argument considering that whichever of Tampa's big 3 centres St. Louis played with in any given year could pretty much be penciled in for 90 points.

I'm not sure there's much difference between Lecavalier's and Brad Richards' careers, aside from the 1st over pick pedigree of Lecavalier.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's a pretty bizarre argument considering that whichever of Tampa's big 3 centres St. Louis played with in any given year could pretty much be penciled in for 90 points.

I'm not sure there's much difference between Lecavalier's and Brad Richards' careers, aside from the 1st over pick pedigree of Lecavalier.

how do you figure?

I'm terrible at sarcasm.

Still, that argument was made time and time again by the MAGA crowd.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
I think he could maybe get in this year... but only because there is, like, noone to induct this year that is too worthy.
I give him a 20% chance in this weak year.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

He's arguing that when
- Sundin fans complain about Hoglund, etc
- Iginla fans about Conroy, etc
- Hossa fans about Bonk, etc

That these types of considerations have no merit when discussing a player who went from Richards to Lecavalier to Stamkos without ever being tasked with carrying a 'Bobby Holik' and a 'Jason Chimera' at any point in his career.

Or basically, scoring 80 points with Renberg and Hoglund is exactly the same as scoring 80 points with Richards/Lecavalier/Stamkos and Prospal/Stillman. No difference in degree of difficulty.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad