Will Todd Richards get fired before the end of the season?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Given that none of the Springfield guys nor the draft picks can score a goal and the back up goalie can't stop a beachball half the time, no systems adjustments would have made a difference. Mediocre AHL players can't compete at the NHL level.

Scotty Bowman couldn't have done much better with this rag tag bunch. Nonetheless, the Broadcaster might drop the anvil on Richards head should the team not immediately respond when the 2 skis are back in the lineup. As someone pointed out, Richards is not 'his guy' and my impression of Davidson is that he's heavily into cronyism, so he may use this protracted streak and a non immediate rebound when Dubi and Bob return as the excuse to move his own guy in. Richards only signed a 2 year deal and it was undoubtedly not a big money deal. In comparison to the Horton debacle, canning Richards wouldn't move the bottom line meter.

Of course it would be absurdly unfair to can Richards. The Scout bears full responsibility for the 9 game carnage. Anyone on this board could have made the roster moves Jarmo made during this crisis-just call the Springfield coach and ask him who's his best forward or dman and then tell him to get that guy on a plane to Columbus.

If Richards should get the axe it would not be the end of the NHL road for him. His work of last season would be the relevant body of work that a sound GM would make his judgement upon and this season would be regarded as completely beyond his control.

I'm wary of this whole "scout" and "broadcaster" thing. It seems just like when people tried to pin Howson down as a pencil-pusher. All three of those guys know the game from multiple angles, not least of which they were all NHL players. What they did in between is just additional perspective.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's posts like this that give me little hope for the future of the human race. Did you see anywhere where I suggested that we dump him? How did I suddenly get lumped in with the "Fire Richards" crowd. I'm not even sure that movement even exists.

Having said that GG is doing pretty good down in Florida. If you read my posts you would realize that I was asking for Richards to adjust to try and slow the decline. We can't make the playoffs with this roster obviously.

Would you and other like you, please try and read and understand what others are posting? I don't have time to come in an continue to correct misrepresentations of my posts. I'm considering hiring Viqsi.

I offer very reasonable rates.
deal.gif

I think the point was a good one, just directed at the wrong person. And I also flinch at the very idea of re-associating with GG, but that's less a rational evaluation and more of a Tainted By Horrible Failure memory. :)

Can we report people for not reading posts properly and coming to inaccurate conclusions? No? We should.. :p

When I was a moderator, I had a favorite saying for folks who asked about this: "unfortunately, stupid isn't against the rules." :)

* * *​
Given that none of the Springfield guys nor the draft picks can score a goal and the back up goalie can't stop a beachball half the time, no systems adjustments would have made a difference. Mediocre AHL players can't compete at the NHL level.

Maybe not enough of a difference to reach .500, but maybe the losing streak wouldn't be as long. The top line's getting it done, after all, so if you make every other line's responsibilities be "don't let them score", it's not impossible that things would be improved. Still not competitive enough for the playoffs, but, well, that's to be expected given who's out.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

Gerard Gallant at Florida Panthers has managed to kill off super prospect Alexander Barkov's point production with his ancient offensive system. In return they still get something out of his amazing defensive qualities though so it ain't the end of the world. Strange strategy still to draft high-end playmaker, let him shine for a while and then turn to hockey of the old coniferous forests...

So it ain't just about perceived ability or talent to produce which makes individual successful.

Colorado's Nick Holden was mentioned in the GM thread and he had a nice last season. That changed this season and his current stats line (after 17 games) in comparison looks like someone turned the table upside down. Plus turned into minus. Patrick Roy's Colorado also changed defensively from man marking to zonal marking...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Thread: Will Richards get fired before the end of the season?

No. Nor should he be. Carry on.

At this moment in time sure. Having said that if the team doesn't respond when players start coming back... Well... That's a different story.

I'm not Nostradamus. Neither is anyone else here. Any coach can be 10-15 games away from some time off.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
To be clear, I said re-evaluate, not condemn. If they re-evaluate and are confident off-season conditioning tactics didn't play a role in all the injuries, then full speed ahead. But it would be foolish to not take another look at them.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
At this moment in time sure. Having said that if the team doesn't respond when players start coming back... Well... That's a different story.

I'm not Nostradamus. Neither is anyone else here. Any coach can be 10-15 games away from some time off.

I knew you were going to say that :sarcasm:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
On further review, to be bit nitpicky, the OP poll is too broad. As has been suggested, there's no way to know if Richards will be fired by the end of the season.

The end of the year is another story. I don't think he'll be held to account for the team's performance in the midst of this injury armageddon and playing with half of an NHL squad, which is why I voted no. I guess it'll be obvious once we see how the team responds once it's closer to being the team we expected ice whether or not he keeps his job. If we bounce back, it'll be clear he's still got the room; if we continue to play awful hockey it'll probably be pretty obvious that he's out of answers. I don't see that happening, myself.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I sincerely hope (as most of us do) that when April rolls around, we'll see this thread and be embarrassed at its existence.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I sincerely hope (as most of us do) that when April rolls around, we'll see this thread and be embarrassed at its existence.

I can say I am not embarrassed to wonder if other people think a coach would be fired under such a long winless streak. No matter the circumstances. Coaches get fired in the NHL all time time.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I can say I am not embarrassed to wonder if other people think a coach would be fired under such a long winless streak. No matter the circumstances. Coaches get fired in the NHL all time time.

True.... for the luv of god I'm glad you are the OP..... :)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I doubt it unless someone they like a lot better comes along. They would be punishing Richards for the sins of management and the players.

Rookie GM mistake would be to fire Richards and promote Larsen. So if that happens, I am saying now I am against it.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I voted yes. No real reason besides a gut feeling. I don't dislike the guy or anything, but if the team keeps playing uninspired sloppy hockey he will take the fall.

edit: I voted yes before that grantland article, fwiw.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
When we won those two in a row against Philly and San Jose playing Richards-style Jackets hockey, I felt like the possibility of him being fired for this injury glut was quite remote. Now we hear about the trials of one of the top D-men on the team and I think firing Richards would only set us back further and keep this potentially very promising team in shambles.

I don't want him to take the fall, but if he does I really don't want it to be for the way this year has started.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

That reporter wants 1/3 of the NHL HC's fired..... Richards is safe this season regardless of the outcome now..... The CBJ might make the playoffs but sitting at 27th in the league and the worst GA/G near Thanksgiving does not bode well... Why fire Richards now??? Let him prep for next season then think about a coaching change.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The team is 91-81-17 under Richards (which includes the end of 2012). If the team continues to slide as Dubinsky and Letestu and others come back, then maybe I could see a case made. But the injuries are unprecedented. If you're upset with Jarmo's moves, how can you ALSO be upset with Richie?

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
They played a JD clip on 97.1 yesterday where he was strongly condemning the effort and execution of the team. Sounded like a prefix of a scapegoat to me. Combine that with another 3rd period collapse and a strange SO order...

I dunno, I can see the FO hanging him out to dry.

slacketbacker

Oct 25, 2005
USA
No way. No coaching change. However if we lose 10 in a row in January. Maybe. I just don't see it when we get a few more players back on the ice in December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad