Speculation: Will Tim Murray keep Ted Nolan as head coach?

Lock3Boys

Aug 16, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I've always expected Ted would be here more than this season, he has had success with questionably talented rosters in both his previous tenures. If others can't see a difference in this team, a difference for the better, I don't know what to say.

Ted was supposed to be the tank commander his first time here, he ended up taking a team with Derek Plante and Brian Holzinger as his top 2 centers to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

The guy has proven he is a good coach, I think he is a great coach, but I understand those that don't think so. Given a team with decent talent, I believe he could take this franchise to the promised land, hopefully we have a chance to find out.

Guy has been coach of the year, which seems to be overlooked quite a bit.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
I think Ted will be here next year for sure. The talent level will still be low since it looks like Murray likes the idea of a high pick in 2015, so they'll probably have a pretty bad record again. I think that Murray will use that as justification for getting rid of Nolan and bringing in his own guy for 2015-2016.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I have no doubt that Nolan will sell himself on Murray by this time next year. He's a great coach and I would love to see him with a talented roster.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
My gut says they offer Ted a 2 year deal after the season. After that? who knows. Tim could want one his own favorites there, but at least Ted will get a deal for 2 years.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I don't think Nolan's the guy to develop young players. He's the kind of coach you put on a budget team to get the most of out grinders to crawl into the playoffs as the eighth seed. He's a good coach, but I don't think he's the right guy for the long-term success of this team.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Slam dunk he's coming back based on comments. Anybody who doesn't think this was key in hiring a GM is buying the BS. Lafontaine loves Nolan and this could be a problem at some point.

I know everybody loves Nolan so who cares.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
The guy has proven he is a good coach, I think he is a great coach, but I understand those that don't think so. Given a team with decent talent, I believe he could take this franchise to the promised land, hopefully we have a chance to find out.

Unfortunately, he's going to be the biggest roadblock in getting to a team with talent. I wish they could put him on ice until they were closer, this just isn't the right time for him and his attitude towards kids.

Lock3Boys

Aug 16, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Unfortunately, he's going to be the biggest roadblock in getting to a team with talent. I wish they could put him on ice until they were closer, this just isn't the right time for him and his attitude towards kids.

To me, leader of the Ted Nolan fan club, this point is totally legit. One of the very few things I dislike about his philosophy is his love for vets, and hesitance to use kids. In this case though, I'm hoping he is far more open to the idea later this season and especially next season. Unless we are fighting for a playoff spot or better, I'm thinking his bosses will force him to use the kids.

I hope he is willing to bend on that philosophy in the future, at some point I think his job will depend on it.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Slam dunk he's coming back based on comments. Anybody who doesn't think this was key in hiring a GM is buying the BS. Lafontaine loves Nolan and this could be a problem at some point.

I know everybody loves Nolan so who cares.

There's nothing to indicate this. It's a guess, and yet we are "buying the BS" for not believing it? Please.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
What comments? By whom?
FWIW, here's what Murray said on Hockey Central last Friday: "Yes, the interim tag is still on [Nolan], but we probably will do something for him there that it won't be on him for long." He also noted: "[Nolan] doesn't have to audition, he's our coach ... we may talk to him shortly about his future ... right now, I'm happy with Teddy."

Nacho

Special
Aug 8, 2005
If you ask me, Nolan is probably a good coach to have if you just want to hang on to games, but if you want to win by outplaying the opponent then i dont think hes your man... Nolan is all about "simple plays"...

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
If you ask me, Nolan is probably a good coach to have if you just want to hang on to games, but if you want to win by outplaying the opponent then i dont think hes your man... Nolan is all about "simple plays"...

I've read several times now Sacco is doing the X and O stuff, and I've seen it in game.

I wonder if they have a good cop, bad cop thing going. :laugh:

"Drew, we need to talk about your game. Solid effort, good hustle. Liking what I see. Atta boy. I need to grab some coffee, be right back."

Nolan leaves room, Sacco enters.

"Drew you ****ing suck. Where was your man on that last goal?! What were you thinking!?" etc.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

You couldn't be more out to lunch with this opinion. But not surprisingly your ill informed whining over Nolan continues.

His attitude towards kids? You mean Patty L , the director of hockey ops,and Nolan's shared opinion that unprepared kids that shouldn't be in the NHL? Players that should be at lower levels still so they can continue to work out the kinks in their game. Murray feels this way as well. As would any well run organization with a clue on how to properly develop players.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
To me, leader of the Ted Nolan fan club, this point is totally legit. One of the very few things I dislike about his philosophy is his love for vets, and hesitance to use kids. In this case though, I'm hoping he is far more open to the idea later this season and especially next season. Unless we are fighting for a playoff spot or better, I'm thinking his bosses will force him to use the kids.

I hope he is willing to bend on that philosophy in the future, at some point I think his job will depend on it.

No its not at all a legit point. Why do posters buy into this nonsense?

Patty L has spoken at length in several interviews as to why those young players are not here. Patty is the director of hockey ops and HE IS WHY THEY ARE GONE. The team has reset things to where they are supposed to be at this point of a rebuild. The idiocy of what Regier was trying to do with the kids to start the season was obvious. I'm amazed some posters still don't grasp it. That was Patty's number #1 thing to reverse after he took over. The idea that Nolan is somehow running things and that they are gone because Nolan hates young players is absurd.

Patty's change in direction for the franchise has somehow turned into Nolan hates kids for a few because a few ill informed posters have been ranting about it since the kids were sent down. I chalk some of it up to them not wanting to go through a proper rebuild or understanding how they are done properly. Those posters have been whining about guys like Dags, Omark, Leino ,etc getting into the lineup over the youngsters. I also chalk some of it up to those same posters hating on their favorite whipping boys and not seeing the bigger picture. Dags, Leino or any other vet's play is utterly irrelevant to whether or not Grigs, Zads, Risto, etc belong in the NHL yet. The sooner posters understand this the sooner we can move past the complaining that the youngsters aren't here.

Placeholder vets filling roster spots has always been a corner stone of a proper rebuild. Thats because it gives the team bodies to put into the lineup so the kids don't have to play before they are ready. Thats the proper way to develop the youth. Not throwing them into the lineup and see what happens. Not to mention even without those youngsters here we still have a lot of youth/rookies on the roster who still need developing or getting their games on track. Guys like Hodgson, Myers, Foligno, Girgs, Flynn, Pysyk, Ennis, McNabb, etc.

The team under Patty L reset things to where they should have been with the youngsters. It had absolutely nothing to do with Nolan hating youth and everything to do with Patty/Nolan putting kids where they belong to continue to properly develop. Regier ****ed up big time not getting the filler vets we needed to keep these youngsters where they belonged to start the season.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I wouldn't say Nolan "hates" young guys, and he probably has little if any say about them being demoted (the exception may be D'ags), but he is demeaning towards them at times during interviews calling them babies and such.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I'm with you. I don't have a big problem with him coming back next year but the lovefest a lot have for him is silly imo. He gets guys to play hard but he doesn't bring much else to the table and I think he's more than willing to sacrifice smart play for being 'hard-working'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad