Speculation: Will Tim Murray keep Ted Nolan as head coach?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I believe this is such a burning question that it deserves its' own thread for reference's sake.

Please, let us know why you think he will or will not keep Nolan.

On the one hand, Nolan is a motivator who gets the most out of his boys, no matter their talent level. On the other hand, the new GM speaks of making his mark on hockey history, which suggests he'll shake things up and do things his way (maybe placate LaFontaine this season but be quick next season to replace Ted on amonent's notice; after all, the new GM doesn't like to wait and deliberate, he believes in making decisions rather quickly, with no delay - that's his style).

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I think Nolan gets a 2 year deal/extension.

I would have chosen "Yes", but the only option to choose was "Yes, of course. I expect it." and I don't think "of course" is how I would put it at all.

I could certainly see him being replaced for next season, and I wouldn't feel too strongly abou tit either way.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
No, Nolan was given an olive branch by Pattyy, given his rep in the NHL, been out of the league for awhile, just on the outside of the NHL. Sabres needed a temp coach, he needed a way to help his rep. This season is a win win for both parties but I don't believe for a sEcond that Nolan wasn't told that the coach will be picked during the offsason by the next GM.

There are no delusions from either side. Nolan has made the Sabres play better, be competitive, good for him but once the season is over, so will his temp position. Actually, he's going to coach Latvia before theseason is over...

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I expect it to happen.

Sabres are tanking next year too. As long as long as Ted wants to come back he will be coach. The only reason he would not is if there is just a total clash with Tim Murray.

Otherwise, there are not glaring problems with Nolan. He certainly isn't a moody, brooding little ***** after games like Rolston was. He stopped the bleeding and will have a hard working blue collar team with little talent.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/s...sabres-gm-is-futures-of-miller-nolan-20140109

But pressed on the issue, Nolan reiterated he wants the job for the long term.

“Definitely. I made no secret about it,” he said. “If I had a crystal ball where I could pick one place to do this job in the best league in the world in the best city in the world, this would be the place.”

The Sabres entered Thursday’s game with an 8-11-3 record under Nolan after going 4-15-1 under Ron Rolston. Murray has no prior relationship with Nolan, noting he’s simply seen him around arenas.

“I’m open-minded about this coming in,” Murray said. “I want to establish a relationship with Teddy and his staff and move forward doing that.”

Asked by The News following his introductory news conference if there were specific instructions during the interview process that he must retain Nolan, Murray gave a blunt answer: “I was never told if I take this job that I have to keep Ted Nolan as the head coach.”

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
Ted has done a great job getting the players playing better. That being said, with a new GM, Patty as pres, Craig Patrick on board, a billionaire owner, improved scouting and all the extras, I believe the coaching job will be an attractive offering and should get a lot of willing superour candidates where Ted may be middle of the road among them.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
After listening to Murray's inferred tank strategy, I think he's here for next year to motivate the mega-ton of 3rd and 4th liners that will make up the team next year......

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I say, "No. Nolan will not get an extension." TM saying he wants to "get to know Nolan" doesn't really scream "yeah, i like what he is doing." Also, the emphasis on "it wasn't a per-requisite that i keep nolan in order to get the job" (while definitely the right/healthiest way to approach the coaching position with a new GM) also seems to suggest that TM will be kicking the tires on other coaches.

That said, i can see them extending nolan through next season to continue a tank job while maintaining a look of competitive edge. It wouldn't shock me that once the sabres are ready to start to really compete, they cut teddy free.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Why woudn't he? It is a free "Get out of Jail card" so he can fire Nolan in 2 years if the team isn't doing well and he can say that Nolan wasn't "his" guy.

Easy decision that buys a new GM time.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
No. Nolan is the absolutely wrong coach to transition this team from where it is today to where it needs to go.

ZeroPT*

Ideally we keep him another year as HC in order to motivate the kids, and build character through a tough year. I'd like to keep him another few years after as a motivational guy or an assistant or player development but I think after next year we should have a lengthy search for a coach

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
For one more season at max. He'll either be gone at the end of this season or the end of next season.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Why woudn't he? It is a free "Get out of Jail card" so he can fire Nolan in 2 years if the team isn't doing well and he can say that Nolan wasn't "his" guy.

Easy decision that buys a new GM time.

That's really not an issue. Pegula has been on record that he doesn't mind it when people make mistakes much.

Murray doesn't need to "buy time" with Pegula. He'll be given as much time as is necessary to either bring it around or truly prove himself incapable.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Yes, he'll stay. The only way he doesn't is if he and Murray don't get along. But I don't think this is the Ted Nolan of 1997.

He's well liked by the players, by the community, by PLF and likely the Pegula's. And he stopped the bleeding on this team.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yes. The guy from sportsnet that was on with Schopp and Bulldog explicitly said that a requisite for the GM job would be that Ted Nolan will stay on as head coach. I think Nolan gets a 4 year deal. He has been pretty good this year at the helm.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Yes. The guy from sportsnet that was on with Schopp and Bulldog explicitly said that a requisite for the GM job would be that Ted Nolan will stay on as head coach. I think Nolan gets a 4 year deal. He has been pretty good this year at the helm.

Did you read the link/quote I just posted a few posts back?

Straight from murray:

Asked by The News following his introductory news conference if there were specific instructions during the interview process that he must retain Nolan, Murray gave a blunt answer: “I was never told if I take this job that I have to keep Ted Nolan as the head coach.â€

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Everyone in Ottawa is fully expecting that Tim Murray will poach Luke Richardson from the Sens as the next head coach in Buffalo. Richardson is/was Murray's guy and is ready for the NHL.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Let's squash this crap right now. Murray meant FOR THE REST OF THIS SEASON.

Not beyond April. Plain and simple. Nolan absolutely does not have a job intact as of today beyond April.

With that said, I do think he'll get a two year deal this summer. But it's ONLY because of his coaching and NOT because Patty or Pegula has some back room "agreement" before Murray was hired.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010

Bookmark this. I have a feeling we'll return to this issue about Murray being told to keep Nolan,

EDIT:

quicker than I expected:

Did he say who his source was for that very specific information? No, he did not.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Murray said he's under no orders to keep Ted. Anything else floating out there is garbage.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Murray said he's under no orders to keep Ted. Anything else floating out there is garbage.

Yeah whatever. Because I'm sure he would admit it otherwise and people have never lied before. When Ted Nolan is here long term and not just as the interim coach it will be all Tim Murray's decision and not LaFontaine and Pegula :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad