Speculation: Will Tim Murray keep Ted Nolan as head coach?

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Murray said the interim tag would probably be removed in the next couple of weeks. That was a couple of weeks ago, I believe. I'm starting to suspect the Grigorenko affair has raised some red flags about player use and communication.

I believe it's because of aliens.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm excited/interested to see Murray start putting is imprint on this team. The Nolan decision is one of many he will make between now and the start of next season that will shape the next stages of the rebuild

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I don't agree with the people who, for some reason, seem to think Nolan can't handle a contending roster. Not only do I think he'd be able to handle one, I think he'd get as much out of them as you possibly can.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Nolan 29 points in 35 games for a 67 point pace.

Interim tag still firmly affixed.

Not so sure he's going to stick around.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Maybe not to Tim Murray, it's more about fan opinion. I didn't really want him to stick around before, but now I'd be content either way. What he did with Latvia was pretty eye-opening IMO.

Could you elaborate? If you watched the game, Canada was dominant and the Latvian goalie stood on his head. A defense gaff led to the breakaway and one Latvian goal.

Side Stache

Dec 3, 2011
I'm gonna bump this. Does the performance of Team Latvia sway anybody towards having Nolan stay on?

You guys have to understand, this year team had Ozolins in it. He is more of a personality and motivator to Latvian team than any other person/coach you can think of. Not that I am saying Nolan is worse or less capable to motivating medicore players, but Sandis might have been more vocal in locker room.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Nolan is great for teams that don't want to spend money. He can get blood from a stone because he is an amazing motivator and seemingly an all around great guy. But the reports that he is really not an "x's and o's" is enough to convince me that we need a new coach. I don't think he's good at utilizing high end talent.

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Could you elaborate? If you watched the game, Canada was dominant and the Latvian goalie stood on his head. A defense gaff led to the breakaway and one Latvian goal.

Yes but I'm referring to the whole tournament. Their schedule wasn't easy by any means, and the team of no names never once got blown out, playing with an honest effort and giving every team along the way a tough match-up.

I'm not trying to start a debate cause so far it seems that everybody that has since responded think it's stupid to even consider thinking about this so whatever, I thought it could be interesting is all. Carry on.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
I don't think he's good at utilizing high end talent.

Good cause it looks like we're trading all of ours away at the deadline. I wouldn't mind seeing nolan around for another (full) season just to see the fire he can light under some players' butts. At the same time, I don't think he's proven that he's a coach who can take our team to the Cup (or close). He's done well with a poor team but that's always been his strength. I like the idea of keeping him around for the rebuild but you're right; the "not X's and O's" part is a little concerning once we start to become contenders.

On the other hand, did you see that sneaky line change vs. Canada? That looked pretty planned to me. If that's the type of play Nolan can bring to the table, I wouldn't write him off quite yet.

vinituu

Jul 20, 2011
I voted "Yes" but same time hope that he will not get a contract. We need him for our national team.
Head of Latvian Hockey federation said, that main couch must be free from any contracts - so he could work full time and without any obstacles to couch team in important competitions (next world cup competition). So far Ted showed pretty well, he gets familiar with all players.
He allows new players to get a chance, like Indrashis (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=18106).
For Latvian team were very important to get motivation and self-confidence (for Olympics).
No idea how important those factors are for Buffalo Sabres, but it could be for next 1-2 years.
P.s. ... and Latvian team scored against Canada, what didn't USA and SWE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad