Will there be another player like Datsyuk?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Not sure why you keep mentioning defense. I like two way players and agree that overall contribution is what matters. I was replying specifically to posts severely exaggerating datsyuk by saying he had the offense of kane and the defense of bergeron combined.

Hardly.

In reality he is on the spectrum of great two way players, in the same tier as toews kopitar etc but with more power play points (both due to more pps in general and being tied to the hip to lidstrom and a great power play all the time). Somewhat worse in the playoffs than those guys as well, just one cup as a top liner and lower playoff production than those guys.

EVERYONE, even Hawks fans, knows Datsyuk was on another level than Toews. Don't take your blatant homerism that far.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Datsyuk's Top 5 seasons in even strength points: 59, 56, 55, 48, 45

Toews' Top seasons in even strength points: 49, 48, 47, 46, 42

Datsyuk's Top 5 seasons in even strength pts/g: 0.73, 0.71, 0.70, 0.68, 0.65

Toews' Top 5 seasons in even strength pts/g: 0.83 (shortened season), 0.71, 0.63, 0.61, 0.58

Datsyuk's Top 5 seasons in points: 97, 97, 87, 87, 68

Toews' Top 5 seasons in points: 76, 69, 68, 68, 66

Datsyuk's Top 5 seasons in points per game: 1.20, 1.18, 1.16, 1.10, 1.05

Toews' Top 5 seasons in points per game: 1.02 (shortened season), 0.97, 0.95, 0.90, 0.90,

# of Datsyuk p/g seasons: 7

# of Toews p/g seasons: 1 (shortened season)

Datsyuk seasons in Top 10 NHL scoring: 3

Toews seasons in Top 10 NHL scoring: 0

Datsyuk seasons in Top 10 NHL p/g: 3

Toews seasons in Top 10 NHL p/g: 0

Datsyuk Selke Trophies: 3

Toews Selke Trophies: 1

Datsyuk is also the higher Corsi player, in fact the highest forward ever since it's been tracked.

And the cherry on top of it all: The opposition player that Datsyuk has played the most minutes against since Corsi has been tracked?!?! Jonathan Toews.

Datsyuk head-to-head against Toews: 52.8 CF% and 55.6 Goals For %

And of course...

Toews head-to-head against Datsyuk: 47.2 CF% and 44.4 GF%

Datsyuk and Toews are not in the same tier. That's a laugher. Outside of the single shortened season where Toews inflated numbers didn't have time to return to normal, he's always been a step behind Datsyuk in every sense of the imagination. And Datsyuk being a great PP player is supposed to be a negative? Please, tell that to Mario Lemieux.

Datsyuk > Toews. Always has been and always will be.

Toews does get the nod when it comes to best pig-nosed mural on the side of a building though.

I'm saving this post and bringing it up everytime he tries to make ridiculous arguments regarding Toews :laugh:

Farm

Jul 1, 2015
I'm saving this post and bringing it up everytime he tries to make ridiculous arguments regarding Toews :laugh:

I don't get all these posts by Wings fans. It's as if other players being good actually diminishes Datsyuk's "greatness." I don't know why you guys keep quoting these stats. They completely prove his point. The even strength numbers are close so posting the total points finishes over and over just shows it all came from the power play. And continuing to label (shortened season) seems pretty biased. Listing the highest even strength point totals intentionally leaves out 2013 to be misleading. That season happened and Toews beat Datsyuk pretty bad in it. Enough to put him way ahead on average even strength points. This actually just makes Datsyuk seem close to that tier, and this is coming from a Leafs fan. Also Matthews is gonna be better than Datsyuk, did Datsyuk even score 40 goals in any season in his whole career?

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Datsyuk was just a beeeast

Elite offensively
Elite defensively
Most skilled according to many big names
One of the best players to play the game

Subjective
Most entertaining to watch

Imma watch some games fron 07-10 seasons. Any recpmmendations?

I always recommend watching this video package to start. It's just shows a bunch of assists starting with one of his very first until the 2013 season. Datsyuk was a playmaker first and foremost, so that's why I like to start there. It's great because it's includes the broadcasters so it's not all about music and what not. Since it starts from the very beginning of his career, a bit of the footage isn't in HD. Don't worry though, it's still worth it and some of the plays will probably make you simply laugh.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I don't get all these posts by Wings fans. It's as if other players being good actually diminishes Datsyuk's "greatness."

It's the same Hawks fan arguing with the same couple wings fans that I've seen in virtually every other thread involving one or both of the players of interest. I've seen it what feels like a dozen times haha, dunno why they bother at this point. They're probably read the same argument 100x idk what they're trying to accomplish.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Out of all active players Jack Eichel reminds me a bit of Pavel. His puck control and skating skills are quite close. If Eichel canfind a way to not float at times and also Baffalo gets him right players to play with he resemble the basics of Datsyuk a couple of years from now.

In general I really like the young generation of US players. As opposed to other teams they play more complex game by getting rid of shoot-first mentality. In this sense they remind me a bit of Soviet teams from the past. I expect them to be real force a couple of years from now.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Closest comparable of all the young players in today's game is Matthews.

Good puck skills with good two way play.

But yes, poor man's Datsyuk in terms of highlight reel play.

Juha

Feb 18, 2014
Finland
Johnny Gaudreau sometimes reminds me a bit of Datsyuk. Some of the plays he makes are incredibly smart and shifty. He does things you don't see coming.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't get all these posts by Wings fans. It's as if other players being good actually diminishes Datsyuk's "greatness." I don't know why you guys keep quoting these stats. They completely prove his point. The even strength numbers are close so posting the total points finishes over and over just shows it all came from the power play. And continuing to label (shortened season) seems pretty biased. Listing the highest even strength point totals intentionally leaves out 2013 to be misleading. That season happened and Toews beat Datsyuk pretty bad in it. Enough to put him way ahead on average even strength points. This actually just makes Datsyuk seem close to that tier, and this is coming from a Leafs fan. Also Matthews is gonna be better than Datsyuk, did Datsyuk even score 40 goals in any season in his whole career?

How many selkes will Matthews win?

Stylistically no one in the league is Datsyuk. Datsyuk wasn't a sniper, he was a playmaker. Matthews only put up 29 assists, lol what a scrub.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I always recommend watching this video package to start. It's just shows a bunch of assists starting with one of his very first until the 2013 season. Datsyuk was a playmaker first and foremost, so that's why I like to start there. It's great because it's includes the broadcasters so it's not all about music and what not. Since it starts from the very beginning of his career, a bit of the footage isn't in HD. Don't worry though, it's still worth it and some of the plays will probably make you simply laugh.

What a team redwings had back then and among forwards DATSYUK is the crown jewel, what a beauty. He seemed absolutely magic out there. Hockey IQ off the charts.
Closest comparable of all the young players in today's game is Matthews.

Good puck skills with good two way play.

But yes, poor man's Datsyuk in terms of highlight reel play.

I was thinking about that aswell. Matthews sometimes do pull off datsyuk like plays and can be a trickster juggling the puck in game and such. He is also very hard to get off the puck. Who was his idol?

Who knows in the future but out of the rookies he is best candiidate. But as you say still far off.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
How many selkes will Matthews win?

Stylistically no one in the league is Datsyuk. Datsyuk wasn't a sniper, he was a playmaker. Matthews only put up 29 assists, lol what a scrub.

And most of his assists came off the pp.

Should be noted he played with hyman who is not know for his finishing ability. He did also play with brown eho ended up with 20goals and nylander with 22...however he only had 8 assists at 5v5 on the year. Not because he doesnt playmake but his role was primarly the triggerman on that line. You know something something 40 goals nr 2 in the league....

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
And most of his assists came off the pp.

Should be noted he played with hyman who is not know for his finishing ability. He did also play with brown eho ended up with 20goals and nylander with 22...however he only had 8 assists at 5v5 on the year. Not because he doesnt playmake but his role was primarly the triggerman on that line. You know something something 40 goals nr 2 in the league....

Matthews is a great player, my point was just because Matthews scored more goals than Datsyuk ever did doesn't mean **** in a will we ever see another Datsyuk argument.
They aren't comparable in skillset or style. He literally said 40 goals means he's better than Datsyuk ever was.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Jonathan Toews.
/thread

Watch this.

Toews isn't close to being what Datsyuk is. All Toews has on Datsyuk is one more Cup and some international success.

There are some similarities between Datsyuk and Barkov, but Dats definitely is on his own class. He makes the plays look easy, he thinks game the way no one does. Toews is in the Bergeron, Kopitar, Barkov tier. Datsyuk is on his own tier.

Last edited:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Matthews is a great player, my point was just because Matthews scored more goals than Datsyuk ever did doesn't mean **** in a will we ever see another Datsyuk argument.
They aren't comparable in skillset or style. He literally said 40 goals means he's better than Datsyuk ever was.

Ah sorry must have missed that...

I dont know what datsyuk looked like in his teen days but how he looked in his later 20's that guy may very well have been the best player in the league.

Just such an unique skillset and skillful enough that he alone could fill up a team with it

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site

It seems like it was yesterday that Datsyuk was feeding all these beautiful passes to Zetterberg, what an amazing duo those two were in their prime.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

Even a thread about a retired Red Wing somehow has to be turned into a Matthews thread. Jesus Christ.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Johnny Gaudreau sometimes reminds me a bit of Datsyuk. Some of the plays he makes are incredibly smart and shifty. He does things you don't see coming.

With the puck on his stick he probably most resembles Datsyuk in the league, maybe Drouin too.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'm going to say Gaudreau or Kuznetsov are currently closest with the puck. Both have ridiculous skill, iq, stickhandling, shiftiness, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad