Will there be another player like Datsyuk?

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Will there be another player like Pavel Datsyuk?

%D0%9F%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%BB%20%D0%94%D0%B0%D1%86%D1%8E%D0%BA%20(37),%20Detroit%20Red%20Wings.jpg

Pavel Datsyuk is an unique player, two-way forward with Bergeron-esque defense and Kane-esqe like offensive skillset... Elite both defensively & offensively... Several Selke Trophies with 97 Pts as well as being gentleman on ice (Lady Byng Memorial Trophy).

Recognized by fellow NHL players by winning multiple NHL players Polls:
- Hardest to Take the Puck from
- Smartest Player
- Most Difficult to Play Against
- Most Difficult to Stop
- Cleanest Player
- Toughest Forward to Play Against

The two-way forwards in todays NHL are Bergeron, Kopitar & Toews aren't good or complete as him.

Incoming young two-way players also don't have neither similar type nor skillset of Datsyuk...

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Not a fan boy of either player but Toews definitely isn't close to Datsyuk

Who would you say is remotely similar?

Kucherov maybe? He dares to pull off sick moves like that shootout goal...but even then theres probably very little in common

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Yes, if Sens get all their Cs injured and Karlsson has to step into the C role.

Last edited:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Actually I think there will be more players similar to Datsyuk in the near future. Though he was the first of his kind, kids today are focusing more and more on unorthodox puck skills. I don't think the game has ever seen the kind of handles it currently does, and that trend will only continue.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
There will be great puck handlers, but i'm not sure you'll ever find someone with his other worldly hockey IQ on both ends of the ice that also happens to be a great puck handler. That player would also need the willingness to try weird and unorthodox plays. One of my favorite plays is him faking a drop back pass as he was skating out from behind his net. He drops it to his foot, kicks it back up to him, and causes the pursuing player to lose a step or two giving him a free exit. How does anyone think to do that, let alone have the skill to do that at high speed lol, most players would lose the puck or fall.

We can only hope there will be another Datsyuk someday.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Probably not. I imagine most kids with that sort of offensive skillset won't be given the sort of defensive duties needed to kickstart such a game. Maybe if you get another Crosby/Malkin type generational pairing, maybe they'll gear one of the players to be more defensively minded. Not sure I'd count on it though.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Actually I think there will be more players similar to Datsyuk in the near future. Though he was the first of his kind, kids today are focusing more and more on unorthodox puck skills. I don't think the game has ever seen the kind of handles it currently does, and that trend will only continue.

To me it seems like hockey is trending in the opposite direction. Players are trained to make the safe, simple play.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Barkov was compared to Datsyuk a lot during his draft year. Sick hands, great vision and an excellent two way player. Not saying he's at Datsyuk's level but has similarities in his game.

Geki

Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
Jonathan Toews.
/thread

Good way to start off Monday morning, with a nice belly laugh.

It's going to be a while until we see another Datsyuk. Half the highlight reel moves today are based off of him. I got to see nearly every game he ever played, it was a true joy to behold. He is a really special player.

One thing that always impressed me with him was how humble he was. For the skill level he possessed he could have been the biggest ****** in the world. I think most guys that get even close to his level would be absolutely obnoxious.

nafnlaus

#nohashtagsinthebath
Apr 20, 2015
Ryan O'Reilly is the same type of player, but obviously not nearly as good as Dats was.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I would say Mcdavid has an outside shot. Great active stick and tremendous hockey IQ. I agree with the person that said there will be more players like Datsyuk in the future as most players are told to do it all these days.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yes. There's many like him. As in. Great two way forward.

Doubtful any are better though.

Nobody will be a datsyuk who can dangle. Win a bunch of selkes. And be the best player in the world for 1-2 years

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think Barkov is somewhat similar in terms of how he plays, but what has to be taken into consideration is that when you're talking about Datsyuk, the standard is insanely high, and that's why all current players pale in comparision to him.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
There will be many, many better players.

Assuming the league runs forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad